Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 1st Arcade game

Hello. I typically collect Sport Cards and buy abandonded Storage Units. Ended up with this yesterday. My 1st! Won it for $80, and I'm pretty excited. Always kinda wanted one as these we the reason I was quarterless as a kid. Not the best at being a handy man but as life goes on I learn as I go. Here's what I know and what I need to do, so far. If you have any tips or advise, please share.

Thanks, Donovan

This is a Donkey Kong Jr Conversion.

Needs-
Sound turns on for a second then nothing
Pic is B/W and lines, nothing else
Marquee light needs installed and bulb
Replaced both locks as keys were anywhere but in my hand
Top Marquee bracket missing
Coin slot 'cover" missing
New T Molding (found online)
Patch/Paint & new stickers
2 wires by coin slot disconnected

1989FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Donovan,

Where are you located? My dad ran a movie rental store with an arcade in the back, I can probably still get this sort of thing up and running.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm in central CA. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Donovan,

Cool machien and I have fixed these up before....1st that is an original Ninetendo Cab, being that the sideart is scratched up etc.. you may want to paint it and look online for original DK sideart unless you want to convert it back to a Mario Bros....when buying the T-Molding for Nintendo cabs make sure you buy it specifically for a Nintendo cab as it is more narrow then a typical Jamma cab conversion.

If the picture and sound are messed up it could be many issues...it could be the board itself for the picture or could be a bad monitor.......relatively speaking if you were to restore this back to a "dedicated" machine (original) you're prob. looking anywhere at $150-$400 to do it, depending on what's wrong
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip on the T-molding. Appretiate it.

Ok so it is a new cab. Was wondering why there wasn't a sticker underneath the side, as you mentioned. So it was a DK jr unused cab they made a Mario? My plans are new sideart, plexiglass & sticker, 1 coin return, .25 sticker, marquee top frame, new T molding, possibly new bottons joysticks, add high save score kit, new CPO, sand/patch paint oh and get it working! That will be the hard part imo.

I was thinking it should cost around $400 (like you said depending on the tech issues) and I'm ready to dump some money into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bader View Post
Donovan,

Cool machien and I have fixed these up before....1st that is an original Ninetendo Cab, being that the sideart is scratched up etc.. you may want to paint it and look online for original DK sideart unless you want to convert it back to a Mario Bros....when buying the T-Molding for Nintendo cabs make sure you buy it specifically for a Nintendo cab as it is more narrow then a typical Jamma cab conversion.

If the picture and sound are messed up it could be many issues...it could be the board itself for the picture or could be a bad monitor.......relatively speaking if you were to restore this back to a "dedicated" machine (original) you're prob. looking anywhere at $150-$400 to do it, depending on what's wrong
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989FF View Post

Ok so it is a new cab. Was wondering why there wasn't a sticker underneath the side, as you mentioned. So it was a DK jr unused cab they made a Mario? My plans are new sideart, plexiglass & sticker, 1 coin return, .25 sticker, marquee top frame, new T molding, possibly new bottons joysticks, add high save score kit, new CPO, sand/patch paint oh and get it working! That will be the hard part imo.

I was thinking it should cost around $400 (like you said depending on the tech issues) and I'm ready to dump some money into this.

They actually did that a lot in the 80s. Those cabinets for the most part were made to order and then parts would be cannibalized as games broke.

Before I sunk too much into this, I'd find out if the system board is working. You should be able to hook the board up to a normal TV and find out.

Good luck.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok I misunderstood you if it was a DK conversion then converted to a Mario that is fine they are both Nintendo....Nintendo cabs are more rarer than typical arcade games....if it is Mario then you need to test the board....or if it's a monitor issue you need to test the picture...that suction cup thingy on the back of the monitor is called a flyback...their are videos on youtube that show you how to properly disconnect it....do not go and just pop it off....it still could have electric current in it and shock you.

If you want to convert it to another game from Nintendo you can do so with a new board, except a Punch Out because that original dedictaed machine has 2 monitors and is a taller cab.

check out this for an original Mario conversion
Mario Bros. - Videogame by Nintendo

Cleaning, painting is the easiest part of a restoration....if it is a monitor or board issue than that's where the $$ comes in....the controllers/joystick buttons look fine you can easily disconnect them and clean them...the bezel is glass and the mario looks great that windex can fix that....it's only if they have cigarette burns and scratches etc...that affect replacing that. Sideart will run you anywhere from $50-$100 for brand new sideart to put on after you paint, and can be easily found on the internet.

I wouldn't worry about a coin mechanism unless you plan on making $$ on the game, you can find some on ebay but they may be pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989FF View Post

Bader is offline   Reply With Quote