Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Internet sales tax coming?

Just got this email from eBay, and I'm glad they are spreading awareness about this. If this has already been posted please disregard this, but if this gets through it's just going to make buying and selling online more expensive for everybody.

For many years, large national retailers and many state tax collectors have hoped for new Internet sales tax collection policy. They want Congress to pass all federal law that would allow tax agents from one state to enforce their sales tax laws on retailers based in other states, even when a business is based thousands of miles away. eBay Inc. opposes this misguided idea, and believes that small businesses selling via the Internet should only be subject to the tax laws of the states in which they operate.

The news from Capitol Hill is clear. Internet sales tax supporters are convinced that 2013 is their year, and they are determined to pass a new Internet sales tax bill when Congress tackles "corporate tax reform." In December, Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL), the sponsor of Internet sales tax legislation, publicly announced that he had a commitment from the Senate Finance Committee to "take it up early next year and move it to the floor."

Your opinion matters. If you oppose giving state tax collectors new powers to impose and enforce out-of-state sales tax burdens on small businesses that sell via the Internet, now is the time to make your voice heard. Click here to send an email to your Members of Congress and express your opposition to state tax collectors imposing unfair tax burdens on small businesses.

Thank you for helping to keep the Internet a fair and open marketplace for all.

Sincerely,

Christopher Payne
Senior Vice President, North America
eBay Marketplaces

Here's the link:
Tell Congress to Oppose Internet Sales Tax Legislation | eBay Inc. Main Street

Last edited by cdizz; 02-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
cdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

They have been trying this for years, it has gained some traction with the budget being what it is, I dont see it making it out of the Senate any time soon though, if its one thing you can count on from the government, it takes forever for anything to get done!
Army19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army19K View Post
They have been trying this for years, it has gained some traction with the budget being what it is, I dont see it making it out of the Senate any time soon though, if its one thing you can count on from the government, it takes forever for anything to get done!
I agree, but it is the government after all so ya never know.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Considering we should all be self-reporting usage tax anyhow, I don't see this as a bad thing.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Considering we should all be self-reporting usage tax anyhow, I don't see this as a bad thing.
The only tax we should be subject to on internet sales is intrastate sales tax. Other than that, the Feds have no grounds for taxation.
Andrew Luck RIP Oscar Taveras
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
The only tax we should be subject to on internet sales is intrastate sales tax. Other than that, the Feds have no grounds for taxation.
Since when does sales tax line the pockets of the federal government? The States are simply asking the feds to step in, since their voice appears to be a little bit louder.

Again, this would require Internet vendors to apply LOCAL sales tax to transactions, therefore, generating tax revenue for the applicable resident state. If you're not a state like Oregon, you do pay sales tax when you walk into your neighborhood Best Buy or Staples. Buying through most Web-only vendors does not require you pay the sales tax for your state on that transaction, assuming that vendor is outside of your state. This causes people to shop online to avoid paying the required sales tax in their respective state.

Look up usage tax, then come back and prove your point...
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

OREGON!!!!!!!! Hahahaha
Niels50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Since when does sales tax line the pockets of the federal government? The States are simply asking the feds to step in, since their voice appears to be a little bit louder.

Again, this would require Internet vendors to apply LOCAL sales tax to transactions, therefore, generating tax revenue for the applicable resident state. If you're not a state like Oregon, you do pay sales tax when you walk into your neighborhood Best Buy or Staples. Buying through most Web-only vendors does not require you pay the sales tax for your state on that transaction, assuming that vendor is outside of your state. This causes people to shop online to avoid paying the required sales tax in their respective state.

Look up usage tax, then come back and prove your point...
Spot on.

I just filed my Ohio Use Tax form a few weeks ago for the 4th quarter.

If you buy something from an out of state vendor, and don't pay Ohio sales tax, you need to be filing a use tax return. Whether people do is another question - but states are ramping up audits big time.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok so I will start corps for all of you in one of the 5000 offices I have in ANCHORAGE which has 0 state sales tax and then you can just run all of your sales through here. I have a whole row of mail boxes (about 500) we can use as well and it links to a physical addy which has a unit number so its not a po box.
LMK IF I CAN HELP!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor_rider08 View Post
Ok so I will start corps for all of you in one of the 5000 offices I have in ANCHORAGE which has 0 state sales tax and then you can just run all of your sales through here. I have a whole row of mail boxes (about 500) we can use as well and it links to a physical addy which has a unit number so its not a po box.
LMK IF I CAN HELP!
genius^^^^^^
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote