Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default Anyone have backyard Animal problems? Raccoons? Skunks? Groundhogs?

Anyone ever had what I’ll call “Critter Proofing” done in their yards or homes? Long story short…

We’ve noticed animals in our backyard for the last few years. Never noticed any real problems as far as property damage - but we can see where they have dug under places. Dog would chase a groundhog sometimes but that was about it. So 3 days ago we got home and the house smelled like skunk. I called an animal removal place and they said a skunk had definitely sprayed outside and that they were probably under my deck (I have a raised wooden deck – pretty large deck that no one ever bothered to really seal off completely) – anyway they set out 4 traps and over the past 3 days they’ve caught 2 Raccoons and 1 Opposum living under my deck and/or under my tool shed.

Although I’m glad they are gone – who knows what else they might catch – it’s getting pricey as they charge per animal to take them away.

Point being they gave me a “proposal” today for critter proofing my yard and home. I don’t have the form in front of me but would essentially consist of fencing off my deck underground, fencing off the screened in porch, shed etc…and then some costs for capping vents on my roof, chimney caps, etc…not sure I’d do all those but they are included in the current proposal.

Anyway it’d be around $5K to have it all done. To basically secure off everything from my roof to the backyard.

Anyone ever done something like this? Is it worth it? Or in reality am I better off paying when I notice an issue? Or perhaps just spend the like $3K to get the entire deck/patio fenced off and not worry about the roof as we haven’t had any issues.

Just curious if anyone has done an undertaking like this at all.

Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

it seems like this would be something I'd try to DIY, but do it cheaply so if it fails I'm not out a ton of cash before calling to have it professionally done.

then again, i'm not a home owner so take that with a grain of salt.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
it seems like this would be something I'd try to DIY, but do it cheaply so if it fails I'm not out a ton of cash before calling to have it professionally done.

then again, i'm not a home owner so take that with a grain of salt.
I've thought about it - but I'm about the least "DIY" person in the world. I know how to do nothing. I admit it.

I could probably fence off everything without it costing too much - but the problem is that most of the animals could probably dig underneath it. So it's probably a temporary fix.

I think the roof stuff, and all these "vent caps", are something he is just pushing. He's never been on the roof to see if I even have problems.

I think I'm going to get a few estimates on just doing the deck/porch area and hope I can get it for under $3K for at least that piece - but who knows these days.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I swear this is like something you'd see on Dateline NBC with Chris Hansen and he'd catch the company letting additional wild animals loose in your backyard overnight or something. Good luck with everything and hopefully you can rectify the situation without having to drop big cash,
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've been trapping (I recommend Havahart) raccoons and oppossums for awhile around my house and they've disappeared for the most part (after a short car ride to a local nature center). Rabbits have been tougher to remove. They don't seem to like eating anything I set the trap with. They live under my raised deck and I don't want to seal it off until I'm sure they're all gone.
Current Needs: Drew Bledsoe 2009 BTL Auto's O,T,S; Buybacks; Butler Bulldogs (Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard); Looking for the following: Alfonzo Dennard '12 TC Superfractor; Chandler Jones '12 TC and Bowman Sterling Superfractors; Please PM me with details
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpat21 View Post
I swear this is like something you'd see on Dateline NBC with Chris Hansen and he'd catch the company letting additional wild animals loose in your backyard overnight or something. Good luck with everything and hopefully you can rectify the situation without having to drop big cash,
Haha seriously.

I was home at lunch today and saw the raccoon in the cage before the guy got there - so if he "planted it" he has the best timing ever.

Since I'm close to OSU Farms the area tends to get more animals then alot of surrounding areas.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
I've been trapping (I recommend Havahart) raccoons and oppossums for awhile around my house and they've disappeared for the most part (after a short car ride to a local nature center). Rabbits have been tougher to remove. They don't seem to like eating anything I set the trap with. They live under my raised deck and I don't want to seal it off until I'm sure they're all gone.
That was my thing as well. Before I spend $3K to seal off everything (Deck/Shed/Patio) I want to know everything, especially any skunks or groundhogs, are gone.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I live next to a golf course and a trail/forest/marsh. We get the odd animals that wonder through the area like deers, cayotes, foxes beavers, rabbits and racoons. Our biggest issues are rabbits. During their migration, they somehow find themselves in my backyard. I have set to see them set up shop, but in the spring, I see baby rabbits sitting on my backyard deck looking into my kitchen. They havent done any damage so I not so inclined to have them removed.

I also have pesty chimpmunks that feel the need to stash their goods in my garage when its open during yardwork.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Allow me to solve this problem for you:

Invest in a semi-automatic. Eat free meat for weeks!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I've thought about it - but I'm about the least "DIY" person in the world. I know how to do nothing. I admit it.

I could probably fence off everything without it costing too much - but the problem is that most of the animals could probably dig underneath it. So it's probably a temporary fix.

I think the roof stuff, and all these "vent caps", are something he is just pushing. He's never been on the roof to see if I even have problems.

I think I'm going to get a few estimates on just doing the deck/porch area and hope I can get it for under $3K for at least that piece - but who knows these days.
i'm right there with you not being very DIY. I suspect I could do the fencing as well and see if they dig under afterward. I would try that route to avoid the big bucks.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
That was my thing as well. Before I spend $3K to seal off everything (Deck/Shed/Patio) I want to know everything, especially any skunks or groundhogs, are gone.
Its tough with rabbits. I started to get rabbits under my deck. I had a guy come in to reinforce and replace my deck walls. It didnt help at all. The rabbits dug into the ground to get under and around them.

I dont want to hurt them, but people have told me pouring bleach around the area will keep critters away.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote