Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default Here's your sad moment of the day, childhood cancer .

A 4 year old that goes to my wife's small church passed away this week after an almost 3 year battle with Neuroblastoma. It's truly sad when you read the numbers that go into child cancer research compared to other forms. Some of the easily cured and detectable cancers get the most funding due to the "sexy" nature. Everyone deserves a chance at a cure but these children need more help.

Here's a video someone made and posted the last couple days.

GONE HOME! - YouTube

CaringBridge / Kirin Brogan / Welcome


If anyone ever feels like donating to a cause I would highly suggest childhood cancers. I couldn't imagine the struggles these families go thru emotionally and financially.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
patsfan1106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,699
Default

Wow what a great video
__________________
Michael Floyd Collector 136 Cards Total (19 1/1's)
patsfan1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
A 4 year old that goes to my wife's small church passed away this week after an almost 3 year battle with Neuroblastoma. It's truly sad when you read the numbers that go into child cancer research compared to other forms. Some of the easily cured and detectable cancers get the most funding due to the "sexy" nature. Everyone deserves a chance at a cure but these children need more help.

Here's a video someone made and posted the last couple days.

GONE HOME! - YouTube

CaringBridge / Kirin Brogan / Welcome


If anyone ever feels like donating to a cause I would highly suggest childhood cancers. I couldn't imagine the struggles these families go thru emotionally and financially.
I am sorry to read about this child. I am not able to view the video right now because I am at work but hope to check it out later.

What do you mean by "sexy" nature?
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
I am sorry to read about this child. I am not able to view the video right now because I am at work but hope to check it out later.

What do you mean by "sexy" nature?
If I were a betting man, I would think that Breast Cancer is what he's referring to and, whoa boy, that is not something that even I will take a shot at.

Cancer is awful, all of it. Hopefully, the funding for cancer will reach a point where ALL cancers can be cured, not just the "sexy" ones.

Yikes.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Breast cancer, the way a lot of the campaigns are run for it half of them make it a out the sexy side. Everyone obviously love breasts and it gets a lot of coverage. Not taking away from it and I don't want to demean it at all. Basically everyone knows someone who has dealt with it at some point. It's also one of the easiest to find and treat.

America fixates on that one cancer unfairly. There's a documentary coming out that talks about all the stores and how they basically profit of it so badly. The lady whoever created the ribbon didn't want it to end up the way it did

Last edited by fm8418; 02-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Breast cancer, the way a lot of the campaigns are run for it half of them make it a out the sexy side. Everyone obviously love breasts and it gets a lot of coverage. Not taking away from it and I don't want to demean it at all. Basically everyone knows someone who has dealt with it at some point. It's also one of the easiest to find and treat.
Stop, just please stop. You don't know the enormity of what you're starting.

If I'm telling you to stop then it's a really, really bad idea.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Why? Because I've said nothing bad. I want childhood cancer to get the funding that others do now. It gets 3% of the cancer institute funding.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Why? Because I've said nothing bad. I want childhood cancer to get the funding that others do now. It gets 3% of the cancer institute funding.
What you're implying is not good. You're coming across as attacking the funding that Breast Cancer gets, somehow saying it's not deserved.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Well don't take it that way. I said I don't want to take anything away from it and I don't mean to demean it all.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
A 4 year old that goes to my wife's small church passed away this week after an almost 3 year battle with Neuroblastoma. It's truly sad when you read the numbers that go into child cancer research compared to other forms. Some of the easily cured and detectable cancers get the most funding due to the "sexy" nature. Everyone deserves a chance at a cure but these children need more help.

Here's a video someone made and posted the last couple days.

GONE HOME! - YouTube

CaringBridge / Kirin Brogan / Welcome


If anyone ever feels like donating to a cause I would highly suggest childhood cancers. I couldn't imagine the struggles these families go thru emotionally and financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Well don't take it that way. I said I don't want to take anything away from it and I don't mean to demean it all.
You could've fooled me.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

It's fact that its easily detected with proper screenings and one of the most curable and has the most funding. The media uses the term sexy also.

Sexy means its easily talked about, you don't hear a ton about rectums yet they kill a lot of people.

This is more of a case where it's hard to talk about on a message board because people will take it the way they want to read it.

Last edited by fm8418; 02-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
It's fact that its easily detected with proper screenings and one of the most curable and has the most funding. The media uses the term sexy also.

Sexy means its easily talked about, you don't hear a ton about rectums yet they kill a lot of people.

This is more of a case where it's hard to talk about on a message board because people will take it the way they want to read it.
I do not want to take away from the issue at hand but I want to address some of the things you are saying. I am having a hard time deciding how to proceed.

I am sorry for the loss of this precious life. I looked at the blog and my heart breaks for any family affected by cancer especially children. My cousin's community just lost a 6 year old boy this past week who had been fighting for over 2 years. No matter how much time passes it never gets easier to hear this news. I take it personally because I have been there. I am a cancer survivor and trust me when I say this: no cancer is "sexy" no matter how much it is talked about. Advertisements are geared that way to give survivors pride and hope the battle they are fighting. It shows people that they are not alone. Funding is funneled in to certain areas because of the number of people affected. I had a less common cancer so therefore it hasn't gotten a lot of funding. The way I see it is as soon as they find a less invasive cure for one type of cancer, it will mean tons of positive things for the others.
__________________
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; #TEAMCONNOR, Mental Health Awareness, St. Jude's Children's Hospital
"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour." ~Author Unknown
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
I do not want to take away from the issue at hand but I want to address some of the things you are saying. I am having a hard time deciding how to proceed.

I am sorry for the loss of this precious life. I looked at the blog and my heart breaks for any family affected by cancer especially children. My cousin's community just lost a 6 year old boy this past week who had been fighting for over 2 years. No matter how much time passes it never gets easier to hear this news. I take it personally because I have been there. I am a cancer survivor and trust me when I say this: no cancer is "sexy" no matter how much it is talked about. Advertisements are geared that way to give survivors pride and hope the battle they are fighting. It shows people that they are not alone. Funding is funneled in to certain areas because of the number of people affected. I had a less common cancer so therefore it hasn't gotten a lot of funding. The way I see it is as soon as they find a less invasive cure for one type of cancer, it will mean tons of positive things for the others.
I completey agree but some slogans like save the boobies are overdone when it should be more about the person behind them.

A porn website donated to breasts cancer research for every video was watched of big or small boobs on their website. Yes their doing good but their doing it in a way that sexualizes it.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stuttgart (Germany)
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Some of the easily cured and detectable cancers get the most funding due to the "sexy" nature. Everyone deserves a chance at a cure but these children need more help.
It's not just cancer, but also HIV. Many people aren't aware that millions of children die of HIV each year, but it's fancier to give money to a church charity than to donate for HIV research.

Back in 1991 Michael Jackson made a song about his close family friend Ryan White, a teenager from Kokomo in Indiana who lived five years longer than predicted but died of HIV in April 1990, one month before his high school graduation.

Estephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,192
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Prostate sees more new cases than breast but only gets half he funding and the survival rate of prostate isn't that much higher.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.