Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Valentines day advice

Do something sweet for your honey today. Even if you think this is a crack pot holiday made up by hallmark to sell greetings cards: do something. There are lots of free things you can do.

Some suggestions:

Write a letter
Draw a picture
Breakfast in bed
A day to her/himself
Clean the house
Make a dinner

Put as much thought into a post on here into this and you will come up with something amazing

Also, do something nice for your kids.

Please feel free to share the gifts you give and get
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yep.

Even if you feel like it's a crock, your significant other probably doesn't. If she says she doesn't, she definitely will when she sees other women receiving love on this day.

Doesn't have to break the bank, be creative and don't just buy a box of cards and candy.

It really doesn't take much to impress a woman ... the fact is that most guys are just too lazy and selfish to even care/try.

My dad doesn't care for Valentine's day and believes it's a sham ... but I can tell that my mom would be absolutely ecstatic if he did something for her, especially something more personal than a card/candy.

So take a few minutes (you already waited until last minute ... ) and figure out something that will really be personal ... and just do it.

They say you can't put a price on love, so don't. Don't look at it as Valentine's day ... look at it as a way to make the one you love happy ...
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I so against this thread. It is the duty of both sides to make each other feel this way every day out of the year. Then, on this day it is supposed to be for the girlfriend/wife/sidepiece. Get over yourselves women. Get me a beer and be happy that I bring home money for you to buy new shoes with.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieDively View Post
Do something sweet for your honey today. Even if you think this is a crack pot holiday made up by hallmark to sell greetings cards: do something. There are lots of free things you can do.

Some suggestions:

Write a letter
Draw a picture
Breakfast in bed
A day to her/himself
Clean the house
Make a dinner

Put as much thought into a post on here into this and you will come up with something amazing

Also, do something nice for your kids.

Please feel free to share the gifts you give and get
How is making a dinner free?
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's better to do something special at a non-expected time.

I hate the commercial pressure of this day. I don't need society pressing me. Not to mention, I'm a terrible jewelry shopper (I hate shopping if it isn't cardboard) all days of the year. I cook dinner 95+% of the time. So can't surprise there.

I go the trip route. She enjoys the trip and she gets couple time.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm in the jewelry business and about 70% of the guys I saw the last couple days had such a terrible attitude about buying something at the store "Whatever, I guess blue is her favorite color, keep it under $200 and she better like it or else". I can't imagine being in a relationship with a person like that.
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
I'm in the jewelry business and about 70% of the guys I saw the last couple days had such a terrible attitude about buying something at the store "Whatever, I guess blue is her favorite color, keep it under $200 and she better like it or else". I can't imagine being in a relationship with a person like that.

Retail makes me that way. I HATE shopping. I can't even describe how much I dislike any store.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
I so against this thread. It is the duty of both sides to make each other feel this way every day out of the year. Then, on this day it is supposed to be for the girlfriend/wife/sidepiece. Get over yourselves women. Get me a beer and be happy that I bring home money for you to buy new shoes with.
If your girlfriend/wife/"sidepiece" thinks it is all about them, probably not someone you want to be with. If you think they should be happy you bring home the money for her to buy shoes with, you probably are perfect for each other.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
same can be said for someone who wants something on a hallmark holiday.You should do stuff all year randomly
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Your right, it is but the sad truth is a lot of us get caught up with the day to day bs. I am really not a fan of valentines day but I still do things for my husband and boys because I care. I also do stuff throughout the rest of the year. My husband was going to get flowers delivered and when he saw the cost he realized it was over the limit of our daily spending allowance and would need to ask me about it. I told him I would have been mad if he spent that much on flowers.

And, I hope you notice I made my original post gender neutral.

Ps get your own beer.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
How is making a dinner free?
Steal the ingredients. I was thinking more of the effort. You are correct it is not free.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
If your girlfriend/wife/"sidepiece" thinks it is all about them, probably not someone you want to be with. If you think they should be happy you bring home the money for her to buy shoes with, you probably are perfect for each other.
I forgot we were on a card site. Guys on here aren't game enough to have a SIDEPIECE.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

It is infuriating is it not that all year long we (men in general I know there are exceptions) bust their a$$ to make a living and keep a roof over our family's heads only to have this pile of $hit heaped on them.

Its a phony made-up holiday designed by Hallmark and Kay Jewelers to stick their hand's in your pocket as you have just recovered from the holidays and maybe have just gotten your tax return. It has nothing to do with love and everything to do with commerce.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

I believe I heard that Americans are expected to spend of $17 billion on Valentines Day. $300 million spent on their pets. That just goes to show how ridiculous this holiday is.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think some of you missed the original point of my post.

I also hope those opposed aren't going to use tonight as an excuse to get some. Stay true to your word, gentlemen. Don't put out no matter how many sweet attempts your honey makes.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
It is infuriating is it not that all year long we (men in general I know there are exceptions) bust their a$$ to make a living and keep a roof over our family's heads only to have this pile of $hit heaped on them.

Its a phony made-up holiday designed by Hallmark and Kay Jewelers to stick their hand's in your pocket as you have just recovered from the holidays and maybe have just gotten your tax return. It has nothing to do with love and everything to do with commerce.
What isn't a phony made-up holiday?

If you're with someone who cares about Valentine's Day, then take a few minutes from your oh so busy life and get some friggin' candy and a card. It is not difficult.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

"Food on the table and roof over your head is a ridiculously low bar for fathers. Congrats. Even possums do that." -John Bryson
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
PC: Brandon Marshall
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=300+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
What isn't a phony made-up holiday?

If you're with someone who cares about Valentine's Day, then take a few minutes from your oh so busy life and get some friggin' candy and a card. It is not difficult.
Exactly.

I think the focus needs to be not on whether or not a man cares about Valentine's day. But if he cares for a loved one who DOES care about Valentine's day, then he will want to make that person happy by helping them to enjoy the day.

It's a matter of not being selfish, and making someone else happy even if you believe it's a phoney holiday.

I think the guys that go over the top are a bit ridiculous, but the guys who call it a phoney holiday are just lazy and selfish.

If your wife/gf would have a huge smile on their face for you spending a few bucks on a card/candy ... get off your self-righteous ass and get it done if you actually care about the person ... stop over thinking it and being stubborn, cheap and selfish!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:

I also hope those opposed aren't going to use tonight as an excuse to get some. Stay true to your word, gentlemen. Don't put out no matter how many sweet attempts your honey makes.
Don't worry. Took care of that yesterday afternoon Today is for nothing but sickening sweetness.

My wife's card to me talked about she has no faults.

Mine to her said I'd be pissed if she didn't have a nice Valentine's Day.

Doesn't get much more sweet than that.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

I win!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDawson21 View Post
"Food on the table and roof over your head is a ridiculously low bar for fathers. Congrats. Even possums do that." -John Bryson

It was until real unemployment went over 16%. Now 1 in 6 are on food stamps and many will be relegated to part-time status to avoid the impact of foolish legislation.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

lol sorry for being cynical. I know the point of your thread was to offer good alternatives to show someone you love them. It's just a very fake holiday catered to hypocrites. I'm not saying you but just looking around my office and friends I have a guy boasting to female co workers about how he's getting his wife a nice dinner out, buying her shoes and a weekend away. She's the love of his life. Same guy that has cheated on his wife with multiple women and boasts about that. He even brought a girlfriend to a company function while they were seperate for all of 3 weeks. I have a woman that constantly complains about her husband. He doesn't pay attention to her. Doesn't respect her. Doesn't show her any affection. They are on the verge of a divorce. She comes to work and parades around men for the attention she is missing. Showed up to work in a black mini skirt and red pumps. Husband sent her flowers to work and all is forgiven. The flowers remeinded her that she loves him. Just seems like, 75% of people that make today a big deal do it for all the wrong reasons. It ruins the made up magic of the holiday.

Again, sorry for jacking your thread.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm with you Nodie. I surprise my wife with gifts throughout the year when she isn't expecting anything. I like to surprise rather than follow the orchestrated path. Whether its washing her car when she isn't expecting it or planting a new rose bush or surprising with a trip. The thought counts.

I can't stand Valentine's Day! Even if your wife/girlfriend/partner says they don't care, they do. Girls brag to each other and compare their gift conquests.