Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question What do you do for a living? / How do you afford the hobby?

I've often wondered this browsing the hobby and box breaks sections.

How so many people can break $1000+ worth of wax per week. Or have consistent $2000+ maildays/mailweeks.

Even with no bills/family, you'd need to be making $100k/year +++ in order to break $1000+/week of wax, right?

Just wondering how people can consistently break 2 cases here, next week 3 more cases, next day 2 more cases? And 99% of those cases take a $$$ loss, especially after all of the fees involved.

And if you resell the hits, that still takes time ... so how does one have the time with a full-time job & family?

This is not meant to be negative, I'm just curious how people are doing this! (and jealous in a way!)
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Id bet a good portion are using credit to buy cases, selling the hits and paying off the initial case price. Some come ahead and have money for the next round, some come short and have to pay their bill out of pocket.

Personally, I do side work for card funds or sell random stuff online. Use the cash for packs or group breaks and hope to hit something to make more money to buy PC.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm a welder and a customer service rep. I travel a lot. What I do is I get per diem when I travel. I eat and live light. Rest is extra cash in my pocket. I don't so it crazy. I buy maybe two hobby boxes a month with maybe 5 blasters a month. I also have a side job so anything extra then my normal 40 hours a week is card money. Unless the wife wants new shoes.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRollerII View Post
Unless the wife wants new shoes.
Which is of course any day that ends in Y.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I bought two cases of 2013 Topps Series 1, busted both cases and really can't see how people make much money doing it. I didn't even try to list anything on eBay, just was looking for some good hits. I didn't get anything that I would say could get me my money back, but did get a nice all star patch card, 1/1. The rest is in sets and just a few autographs, cy young medals, silver slugger medals etc.

I have a nice job that more than pays for the bills. I use to set up at shows and have sold some on eBay but not crazy about paying them their cut as well as what paypal charges. I may be setting up at some shows in the coming months.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Most of you guys who posted so far are what I had always assumed the hobby consisted of, similar to my situation as well.

But I'm more so curious to the guys breaking 2/cases per week. $1000+++ /week.

How is that even possible? Like I said, even with a $100k + income ... bills and family/time should be too much to afford breaking this much wax. I mean it's THOUSANDS of dollars here.

Or do these guys just build up their credit cards to incredible amounts and not worry about it, just making minimum payments?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I work at a bank, coach middle school basketball (which pays me basicly nothing), have a wife & twin babies at home, and I have my online ebay business.

My wife is an amazing person. She takes good care of me and the kids, so that helps.

I usually find a way to make some money or break even on my boxes I break.

Then I buy singles and flip them. I also have a PC that is pretty nice that I've accumulated over the years.

My advice to anyone in this hobby is to only spend what you can afford...

Never, ever, put sportscards on your credit card unless you can pay it off when the bill arrives. That really should go for anything you buy with a CC.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I work at a bank, coach middle school basketball (which pays me basicly nothing), have a wife & twin babies at home, and I have my online ebay business.

My wife is an amazing person. She takes good care of me and the kids, so that helps.

I usually find a way to make some money or break even on my boxes I break.

Then I buy singles and flip them. I also have a PC that is pretty nice that I've accumulated over the years.

My advice to anyone in this hobby is to only spend what you can afford...

Never, ever, put sportscards on your credit card unless you can pay it off when the bill arrives. That really should go for anything you buy with a CC

This for sure....I am pretty conservative in my spending even though I could spend a lot more. I wonder how many people are spending money on cards instead of funding a 401(k) or just putting $X a pay away in savings.

I'm in it for fun. I do sell stuff I get in breaks to buys singles I want, but basically the amount of money I spend on wax is that if I don't sell a single thing I get in a break, I'm fine with it financially.
SORRY I DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR DC
dbaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
I bought two cases of 2013 Topps Series 1, busted both cases and really can't see how people make much money doing it. I didn't even try to list anything on eBay, just was looking for some good hits. I didn't get anything that I would say could get me my money back, but did get a nice all star patch card, 1/1. The rest is in sets and just a few autographs, cy young medals, silver slugger medals etc.

I have a nice job that more than pays for the bills. I use to set up at shows and have sold some on eBay but not crazy about paying them their cut as well as what paypal charges. I may be setting up at some shows in the coming months.
Topps, especially Series 1, seems to me to be a low cost, low profit type of product to break. However, if you do it right, it seems almost impossible to lose money if you break when it is released.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
Topps, especially Series 1, seems to me to be a low cost, low profit type of product to break. However, if you do it right, it seems almost impossible to lose money if you break when it is released.
Agree 100%. Basically true for any low end product.
griffan15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

I see many people breaking a LOT of cases in quantities of 2/3 cases far after release. I just can't see the justification, and in most cases even the ability to financially have the funds/time to put so much $$$ into thousand-dollar +++ cases week after week, month after month, etc?!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

whats a hobby for some, is a business for others
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

96 year old male stripper
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine View Post
96 year old male stripper
The only reason you still make money at this is because people pay you to keep the clothing ON
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake03svtf View Post
whats a hobby for some, is a business for others
That's what still confuses me though. I don't see how in ANY aspect this hobby can be profitable over the long term. Even if you bought/sold on eBay full time ... the cost of health coverage, the costs of taxes/business expenses, and the fact that it basically puts you on-call to answer emails/problems 24/7 doesn't seem to be a worthy venture. At least not for someone who's interested in making over $40k/year and having a few hours each day for a social life.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

I only bust low end products by the case, and only at release. I'm a college student, and my most of the time job is buying and reselling video games, and buying and selling cards. I actually do well enough on both of those to fund the case-breaking. I am very careful about what I bust, which probably allows me to do it without having to worry if I will be able to pay it off or not. I make enough to keep doing it and improve my PC. Obviously this will change when I buy a house/need to start paying off student loans haha.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Student, research assistant for a professor, about to graduate this Spring. Not sure if finding a job will lead to me being less involved in cards or more involved.
Current Non-Sports FS Thread including Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy and more! http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/786317-updated-fs-thread-sons-anarchy-walking-dead-game-thrones-breaking-bad-etc.html
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

I sell my food stamps at 50 cents on the dollar
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
I sell my food stamps at 50 cents on the dollar
Dude, you could EASILY get 60 cents on the dollar on the Black Market. Talk to Big eddie, he'll hook you up.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

There was a guy a few years ago who was addicted to the Razor product where you get a president autograph in every pack. He ended up almost losing his house and his family because of it. If you have to charge for cards be smart about it. I bet most of the people who bust multiple cases are in loads of debt.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

I run it like a business under a different corp show income and loss and inventory and keep records of whats bought and sold.
Works great since I have several sister corps. Its a fun business
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #22 (permalink)

I traded my first born son for 3 cases of chrome and 2 cases of triple threads... traded one of my kidneys for 2 boxes of score..
jeffro318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro318 View Post
I traded my first born son for 3 cases of chrome and 2 cases of triple threads... traded one of my kidneys for 2 boxes of score..
you over paid for the boxes of score
SORRY I DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR DC
dbaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

I afford it by not breaking any cases, and buying what I need for my sets. Like guru, I also work at a bank; however I am a peon there
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #25 (permalink)

When you hear about someone who ripped 80 cases and only pulled 1, $200 card that didn't sell? I am sure it is not worth buying that many cases. I also have to take my personal time into consideration, ripping, sorting, listing and shipping can use up lots of time. Most people don't count their own time when they are figuring out their bottom line, that always has to be done no matter what type of work you do. I live in the D.C. area, lots of people live south of the city and use up 4 - 6 hours a day commuting back and forth, that can add up fast.

After not really buying many of the newer releases since 2004, decided to splurge.

I ripped 2 cases, no way I am able to make my money back, but I just did it for the heck of it, and got some trading bait for the future.

Thinking about buying a case of 2012 Topps series 1 and 2 jumbos or some of the Bowman products from the last 2 or 3 years just to see what I pull.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote