Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Non-Sports Cards Related Rant

Well, I can't get this out of my head, so i figured I'd post it here to hopefully get it off my chest, and maybe some information.

Last Saturday I went to the dentist. Let me preface this by telling you that there are two things I hate more than anything. The dentist and anything that has to do with needles, etc.

Little backstory. Some of you know that I'm 16. Well, as a 16 year old, I hate my teeth. I've gone through two expanders, neither of which worked. I lost my last baby tooth last March, and that has not allowed me to get the braces I need.

Ok, back to last Saturday. So I'm at the dentist. They are looking through many teeth and, as always, they tell me what's wrong. My lower jaw is too big compared to my upper jaw, and has basically made my mouth disproportional, to say the least.

So he tells me that he wants to look again at my teeth in two years (When I'm 18). I can't have braces, if I still need them by then, until I'm in college. But the absolute worst thing that he told me hasn't left my mind for a week. When I got my first two expanders, I was told that that would negate a possibility at complete jaw surgery. Well, that's back on the table for me now. Basically, if my jaw grows at the pace it is now for another 3 years, I will have to get complete jaw surgery. I like to think I still will be growing for atleast another year or two.

So like I said earlier, my two biggest fears are now possibly in front of me, and it's freaking me the hell out. I know it's 3 years, but I can't even think straight about this.

I know most of you will read the first couple paragraphs and not care, trust me, I understand that. But I wanted to ask, has anyone had this situation happen to you or someone you know? I would like to hear some of your experiences if you have gone through this. Honestly, I'm nervous and I plan in doing whatever I can to avoid this surgery.

Sorry for the long read, just something that has been eating at me for a week now, and surely to eat at me until I know whether I need the surgery or not.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've had mouth surgeries, and have literally felt your pain. Gum reconfiguration and the removal of a root attached to my jawbone.
My advice is this:
Determine whether you prefer laughing gas or novicaine injections. Sounds obvious that you would take the gas, but during a longer surgery, I have felt like I was dying (not that I know what that feels like) and it is generally less effective than novicaine. However, novicaine injections require a 3-4 inch needle inserted into your gum. The time I opted for novicaine, I required a total of 16 shots. Kind of pick your poison.
My biggest suggestion is getting a perscription for pain meds before you go into surgery, so you can take them immediately after. I remember the car ride back from the root removal surgery very well. Novicaine wore off, and I just started
to scream. Avoid that by getting your pain meds before.
If you want to talk about anything else, feel free to PM me.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

God, there is so much I could do with this thread but I'm just going to let it go.....for now.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg

I had 5 or 6 teeth removed in one day in order to get braces. Lets just say 3 of the "too many to count" novacaine injections were directly into my pallet. And then i must have been a bit high and had the notion i could drink something.

The final result, me sitting in a pool of water the ride home.
Sent from U.S Airways WiFi
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

a-train i had no idea you are 16. You carry yourself WELL for your age. I have no advice for your teeth situation, but i felt the need to say that. and the mccoy finest is at bgs so when it gets back i will let you know if i get a bump on the grade(i cleaned a big smear off the surface)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
XL5

It's correctable and it won't kill you. There are a lot of "3 year" diagnoses that can be much worse.

That said, I totally understand. Best of luck to you, hoping for the minimum of dentists and needles.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
God, there is so much I could do with this thread but I'm just going to let it go.....for now.
I appreciate that. Just wanted to get it off my chest. Feel free to post what you want though, I normally enjoy reading your posts. I think I can handle one against me.

To everyone else, I appreciate your help. Like I said, I know it's three years away and it's really only a possibility, but I just hate the thought. I also wanted to hear any past experiences because I have not heard too much about mouth surgery from anyone I know.

Thanks folks.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote