Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any disc golfers out there?

When I was about 13, the park next to my neighborhood started putting these weird yellow chain baskets up all over the place. I had no idea what they were. Fast forward a few years, and I was playing probably 3-4 times a week.

I went to school at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC which coincidentally has one of the nicest disc golf courses in the world. Like they have hosted the US Open nice. Anyway, I played there a bunch in college and loved the game.

I moved to Florida about three years ago, and have only played like 4-5 times total since I've moved. I recently found out that there are some courses ~20 minutes away from me, so I'm looking to get back in the game.
Any ideas on where to score some discs (used is fine) on the cheap?

Just curious as to who else plays and what/how you throw. I drive forehand, but shoot everything else across the body.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I played after work everyday for about a year (10-12 years ago). Great exercise. I only used a single disc, but scored better than most of the guys who lugged around a suitcase with dozens of discs.

The sport became too popular and playing a quick round in an hour was no longer possible. Haven't played in over ten years.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

My old University has a disc golf course, was fun once and a while, but couldnt get the hang of it, was actually much better at real golf haha.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
My old University has a disc golf course, was fun once and a while, but couldnt get the hang of it, was actually much better at real golf haha.
Same here, lol. I can't throw a disc/frisbee for the life of me.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to play but then I moved to a town where the course was just awful. It isn't maintained at all, and the baskets are falling apart. When I used to live in Pierre SD there were at one point 3 courses in town, but I believe they removed one of them, ot they just stopped maintaining everything. I had 5-6 discs, but only used 2-3 of them. I'm a fan of Innova discs. I had one Disccraft(sp?) and it just seemed like it was made out of cheap material. One hit into a tree and it was bent
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Something I've always wanted to try. I've heard it's real big in the Carolina's. My friend went down a few years back and got hooked.

Like many of you, though, I am probably better at real golf
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I often hear people say that they can't throw a frisbee, so they cant do this. In my mind, it's like apples and oranges. It definitely takes a lot of practice, but once you learn decent form, it's very much like regular golf (in terms of playing draw/fade, club/disc selection, etc).

The Innova factory is actually located in Rock Hill as well, so I guess that is why they stuck the championship course there.

I am definitely better at disc golf, but I love hacking up the rough on regular courses as well, haha.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

my mom played in college, I have about 500 different disc from all the tournaments she did and collected. And for disc's try Play it Again Sports, they have 2 in Orlando,FL.

Locations To Buy New and Used Sporting Goods and Fitness Equipment | Play It Again Sports
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies1960 View Post
my mom played in college, I have about 500 different disc from all the tournaments she did and collected. And for disc's try Play it Again Sports, they have 2 in Orlando,FL.

Locations To Buy New and Used Sporting Goods and Fitness Equipment | Play It Again Sports
That's sweet! Do you play at all? I'm kind of surprised there haven't been more people on this thread. I feel so ... alone. Haha

One of the PiAS listed is literally 500 yards from my office. I've been in there, and the selection was weak. I guess Floridians just don't like the game. Appreciate the lookup though
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I dabble in disc golf. We have three courses in my town, and I try to get out whenever I can. I throw forehand, as I've got ZERO strength with my backhand. I can chuck the crap out of a disc, though, but when I shank, I shank BAD.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote