Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New job opinions

So i have this job lined up with the DOD. Its a contract job for only 13 weeks as a data collector and requires a pretty heavy workload. I have to obtain a security clearance and it all sounds good but im just looking for opinions. What kind of jobs do you think this experiance would get me? Also id have no life for three months do you think it would be worth it after its done?

http://s1088.beta.photobucket.com/user/sserrano49/library/Football%20For%20Sale
sserrano49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Kinda hard to say if it would be worth it not knowing your situation or pay
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well i live with my gf of 3 years shes currently in school and always busy. The job requires 13 hr days 7 days a week for 13 weeks. As far as pay id make about 22,000 in those 13 weeks.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sserrano49 View Post
Well i live with my gf of 3 years shes currently in school and always busy. The job requires 13 hr days 7 days a week for 13 weeks. As far as pay id make about 22,000 in those 13 weeks.
$18 an hour to have literally no life for the next 13 weeks - sounds pretty damn awful. There isn't a chance in hell I'd do it - but everyone has their own current situation as far as jobs and money - and I don't know how bad you need the money.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

All depends on if you need the money or not. You will be miserable by wk 3. Taxes are going to eat you alive for working that much OT. You will most likely get depressed having no life for those 13 wks. I dont think it would be worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I assume you currently have no job and wouldn't be quitting a job to take a temp job. If that is the case it sounds like good experience for you. Not sure what other job opportunities it would lead to but once you get your foot in the door there they may have other opportunities that come up. Any job is better than no job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
$18 an hour to have literally no life for the next 13 weeks - sounds pretty damn awful. There isn't a chance in hell I'd do it - but everyone has their own current situation as far as jobs and money - and I don't know how bad you need the money.
I assume he isn't working so $18 is better than what unemployment pays and looks better on a resume than a gap in employment. I would rather be working than not be.
"I'm going to laugh when the Vikings beat the Lions next week after all the crap you've talked. I hope you like eating crow." - CC_123
jiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggidy View Post
I assume you currently have no job and wouldn't be quitting a job to take a temp job. If that is the case it sounds like good experience for you. Not sure what other job opportunities it would lead to but once you get your foot in the door there they may have other opportunities that come up. Any job is better than no job.

I assume he isn't working so $18 is better than what unemployment pays and looks better on a resume than a gap in employment. I would rather be working than not be.
$18 is better then unemployment depending on how this 13 week "project" fits into the career path. If it doesn't help anything in the future then is it worth working 91 hours a week?

I'd rather work 40 hours a week at the mall for $10 an hour and have a life.

Assumine my well being didn't require me to take the project job. If I could survive for 13 weeks on 40 hour a week job, for less pay, but allowed me to have a life I'd rather do that.

Again we don't know enough detail about the OP
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
So i have this job lined up with the DOD. Its a contract job for only 13 weeks as a data collector and requires a pretty heavy workload. I have to obtain a security clearance and it all sounds good but im just looking for opinions. What kind of jobs do you think this experiance would get me? Also id have no life for three months do you think it would be worth it after its done?
The security clearance could really make it worthwhile.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

i have a full time job right now. Theres a few reasons why im thinking about it. Its amjob with the dod which would look good on a resume, id be getting a security clearance, it would take me about 8 months to make about the same money as id make in those 13 weeks. Last ive never had a data collection job and am curious as to what other jobs this could open up.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
i have a full time job right now. Theres a few reasons why im thinking about it. Its amjob with the dod which would look good on a resume, id be getting a security clearance, it would take me about 8 months to make about the same money as id make in those 13 weeks. Last ive never had a data collection job and am curious as to what other jobs this could open up.
As a former DoD employee I have to ask - are they waiving the security clearance? When I joined DoD they were waiving everyone's security clearance because they were smack in the middle of BRAC and desperately needed people. They still did the security clearance but waiving it just meant I didn't have to wait for the completion of it before I started work.

If you have the slightest blemish on your credit report prepare to make a report for them about it. What is it? Why is it not paid? How do you plan to rectify it?

I'm not sure the depth of the security clearance they will run for your job but the Office of Personnel Management is notoriously sloooooow. I'm talking months if not years.

Sounds to me though like this job will need to be filled quickly so they may get you in there fast.
ohio_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_mba View Post
As a former DoD employee I have to ask - are they waiving the security clearance? When I joined DoD they were waiving everyone's security clearance because they were smack in the middle of BRAC and desperately needed people. They still did the security clearance but waiving it just meant I didn't have to wait for the completion of it before I started work.

If you have the slightest blemish on your credit report prepare to make a report for them about it. What is it? Why is it not paid? How do you plan to rectify it?

I'm not sure the depth of the security clearance they will run for your job but the Office of Personnel Management is notoriously sloooooow. I'm talking months if not years.

Sounds to me though like this job will need to be filled quickly so they may get you in there fast.
It states security clearance is a must but im guessing theyre probably waiving for now. Ive heard from a few people that have gotten security clearance that it takes close to a year. I should be ok on background and credit but like you said they probably nit pick everything.