Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default This is 40 - WTF Apatow

Seriously, what the crap was that

Just finished watching it and I've got to say I'm blown away, 2+ hours and the movie never started, there was no plot, it was following a family around for a week with no actual storyline, just random crap.

And how do you have a semi-sequel to Knocked up, bring back Rudd, Mann, the kids, and even Segel, but not have even a cameo by the two main characters from the original?

Seriously the only good thing about this movie was the few funny lines from the kids and Megan Fox looking really hot

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post

Just finished watching it and I've got to say I'm blown away, 2+ hours and the movie never started, there was no plot, it was following a family around for a week with no actual storyline, just random crap.

And how do you have a semi-sequel to Knocked up, bring back Rudd, Mann, the kids, and even Segel, but not have even a cameo by the two main characters from the original?

Seriously the only good thing about this movie was the few funny lines from the kids and Megan Fox looking really hot

personally, I'm sick of all of the actors and actresses in his movies at this point. It's all the same recycled sh!t every time.
avjp87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

The movie was good and was meant for people who are married with kids. Actually a dark comedy
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
personally, I'm sick of all of the actors and actresses in his movies at this point. It's all the same recycled sh!t every time.
Kinda true, but this wasn't recycled, it was just garbage

Honestly, it was kinda like the joke that Rudd's character told in Knocked Up, it was like a long unfunny version of Everybody Loves Raymond without the pithy dialogue.

There was a funny line maybe once every 10-15 minutes, but besides that it was just boring, no storyline, nothing happened, just awful. It was as if Apatow was actively trying to make that quote from Knocked Up ring true in the "sequel"
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

That was a pretty depressing movie. Definitely not what I was expecting going into it.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

So, would you recommend it?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
This is 40
MasterPattie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjp87 View Post
He's only got like 7 movies

Heavyweights
40 year old virgin
knocked up
Walk Hard
Zohan
Funny People
This is 40

Only a couple even are alike
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I loved This is 40

Collecting Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins.
Cades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think having kids and being in a long term relationship/marriage makes this movie even better
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
He's only got like 7 movies

Heavyweights
40 year old virgin
knocked up
Walk Hard
Zohan
Funny People
This is 40

Only a couple even are alike
I didn't know he made Walk Hard...that movie was goddamn hilarious, possibly one of the funniest movies EVER made and I ain't joking!

As for "This Is 40" my thoughts were, "meh". It had some funny parts once every 20 minutes but overall it was pretty boring. However it wasn't as bad as Funny People (awful movie). I'd rate it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
The movie was good and was meant for people who are married with kids. Actually a dark comedy
Quote:
I think having kids and being in a long term relationship/marriage makes this movie even better
See, I don't agree with this

First of all, yes it's a dark comedy, but dark comedies can still be funny, this was not

Second, while you may have been able to relate to the characters better, it still doesn't make it a good movie. It's not like I didn't understand it because I'm not married with kids, maybe I wouldn't appreciate certain moments quite as much, but I still get the movie.

And none of that changes the fact that there just wasn't a plot to the movie, it was just a week in this families life, which doesn't make for an entertaining movie
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

You may "get" it but you don't get it unless you're in the same situations .

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
I didn't know he made Walk Hard...that movie was goddamn hilarious, possibly one of the funniest movies EVER made and I ain't joking!

As for "This Is 40" my thoughts were, "meh". It had some funny parts once every 20 minutes but overall it was pretty boring. However it wasn't as bad as Funny People (awful movie). I'd rate it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Those were the movies he actually wrote for . He's produced a lot more but their not really his. Funny People wasnt a straight comedy and people don't seem to understand that. It's actually very well reviewed.

Last edited by fm8418; 02-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:

Those were the movies he actually wrote for . He's produced a lot more but their not really his. Funny People wasnt a straight comedy and people don't seem to understand that. It's actually very well reviewed.
Funny People was 30 minutes too long.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
+1000!!!!!
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wasn't a great movie. But when the mom told that kid he looked like an ugly Tom Petty, I just about lost my #@#@#@#@

Justin Hunter Chrome Auto Needs: Super, red, gold, black. Help a guy out!
Athey49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athey49 View Post
Wasn't a great movie. But when the mom told that kid he looked like an ugly Tom Petty, I just about lost my #@#@#@#@
That was a good line, but Rudd's character asking who Tom Petty was to that kid's mom might have been even beter
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I am married, have been for a long time. Happily I might add. Have kids as well and this was one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. I could relate to some of the stuff but like Zona said, no plot. Dumb.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I did not like this movie.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

yea not a big fan of this movie my better half liked it....now The Hobbit was a great movie!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

I saw Funny People at the theaters and after about an hour and a half I literally wanted to blow my head off with a shotgun.

As everyone left the theater I over heard this guy behind me say "Remind me never to go see stand-up comedy". I chuckled because whenever Adam Sandler would do the stand up comedy during that movie it was GOD AWFUL...nobody at the theater laughed. It was so bland, just terrible. The thing is, I have actually gone to see stand-up comics and never have any of those I've seen been as terrible as Sandler.

My opinion of Sandler is that he can be funny and entertaining in some movies but most I think he is awful. I like some of his more dramatic movies like Reign On Me and Spanglish and his old comedy films like Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. His newer movies have, for the most part, been terrible.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

I haven't seen the movie so I can't say anything about it but I just wanted to comment about bringing back Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl. Heigl pretty much burned every bridge she had with anybody related to Knocked Up when she started trash talking the movie and everybody in it (not surprising coming from her). I doubt they wanted Rogen to be in it just for the fact that they wanted it to just be about Rudd's family and Rogen doing a random cameo would just take away from the focus.

Side note, I see people talking about Dark Comedy in this thread. If you're a fan of dark comedy and haven't seen Death to Smoochy, make sure you watch it ASAP!
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2 View Post
I haven't seen the movie so I can't say anything about it but I just wanted to comment about bringing back Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl. Heigl pretty much burned every bridge she had with anybody related to Knocked Up when she started trash talking the movie and everybody in it (not surprising coming from her). I doubt they wanted Rogen to be in it just for the fact that they wanted it to just be about Rudd's family and Rogen doing a random cameo would just take away from the focus.

Side note, I see people talking about Dark Comedy in this thread. If you're a fan of dark comedy and haven't seen Death to Smoochy, make sure you watch it ASAP!
Then don't put Jason Segel and the weird Asian chick in this one, because the whole time I was just waiting for the cameos that never came.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Then don't put Jason Segel and the weird Asian chick in this one, because the whole time I was just waiting for the cameos that never came.
Jason Segel and the Asian chick were hardly in Knocked up, they were almost just cameos in it so thats why it wouldnt take much of the focus away from what they were doing (regardless of how big of a star Segel is now). Like I explained before there was NO way Heigl would be back and it could also have been something as simple as scheduling issues for Rogen too.
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I thought it was fine, but I knew what to expect from Apatow going in, sounds like you set your expectations too high. Plus there were boobies.