Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to davebo
Default I'd like to get eveyone's take on this...How does Ebay affect the economy?

We all know that for the most part, Ebay (and the internet) has somewhat hurt the baseball card business especially for people that own shops and do shows.

With all the talk about how bad the economy is, I started to think about how Ebay affects that as well. I truly believe they play a big role. For example, over the holidays, you have a person walking into a Toys R Us and buying every Nintendo Wii on the shelf. They then turn around and sell them on Ebay. Ok. So the store still sold out all of its Wii's even if it was to one buyer. But that has a domino effect because that one buyer is there for one thing and one thing only - the Wii. Now the consumer buys it from him off of Ebay. He makes more money than Toys R Us did and also the consumer is not going into a store to buy anything else. Now you want to buy a game for the Wii. Where do you go? Back to Ebay because you can find games cheaper there than in the store.

How does everyone else feel about this?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

We got our Wii locally, and also buy our games locally if we can. If there is a signafant price differnce, I'll pick it up online, but normally by the time you pay for shipping and wait for the game (3-5 days), that runins my whole impluse and/or spur of the moment weekend plans.

But to be honest, most things (including cards) are bought locally for me. You can save some money online (Chris' being a great example), but seems most things I buy aren't things I either want or need that I dont plan out ahead of time. Maybe one day I'll get into the habit of buying stuff on Monday online so I can have it Friday, but to me this is where you save money online.
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Of course, this is a very tough issue. All shipping services are MUCH better off because of Ebay/inernet. I'm sure they have all created many more jobs because of the greater work load. Then there's the issue of putting more disposable income in ordinary people's pockets. (those people that sell garage sale stuff on Ebay). They in turn spend more money in their community, (hopefully not just on Ebay), and help out somewhat.

There's no doubt Ebay hurts brick and mortar stores of all types. Does one side outweight the other? Honestly, not sure.

My opinion on something that truly hurts the economy would be online video games, not to mention plain old video games in general. How many hours are spent each week by our work force playing games on-line instead of working, excercising, spending time with family, etc??? How about world wide and not just in the U.S.? I honestly think the on-line gaming sensation is putting a choke hold on our economy as much as anything.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

No doubt that ebay has hurt the shows/stores but I can tell you this.. I have been doing shows for 10 years or better and 4 years ago when the ebay craze first hit it was worse then it is now..I think all the bs people put up with buying and selling on ebay, paypal fees, chargebacks etc...more and more people are coming to shows...Every show I go to or do there is lots of people bitching about ebay...but they still do it somewhat....I think shows are making a solid comeback right now and hopefully it will keep getting better. The only downfall of this people only want to pay ebay prices!! In my area there are tons of people that don't even do ebay or know how to...amazing in this day and age..Just my .02 cents!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I completely agree with you sideline. I also have been doing shows for about 15 years and at first it was awful when ebay got into the picture but it is much, much better now. The biggest complaint I hear about ebay is damaged or not received product. The shows I do draw good crowds who want to see and feel their merchandise. They like to chat about the biggest things going on in sports and in my area that's the red sox, pats and celtics and if you treat them good they will spend big bucks. Sometimes I just shake my head over how much they spend on what I consider to be junk. Shows are indeed coming back.
sammyw is offline   Reply With Quote