Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Privacy Fence - shadowbox v. stockade?

We are putting in a privacy fence for our backyard. What fence type us better for resale value?
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I recently put up a privacy fence around my yard and I would recommend the shadowbox style, it looks better, but it is also more expensive than the traditional stockade fence, which I went with due to the cost. The thing to consider with a fence is that you never know if the next person to purchase your house will even want a fenced in yard, making your choice only based on resale value would be pointless in that case. Your best bet is to assess your budget and taste and decide what is best for you. Also, it is not all that hard to put one up yourself, which is what I did, and will save you a lot of money.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

A shadowbox fence would be my suggestion. It is a better looking fence. The proper way to install a fence is to put the finish side to your neighbor, thus in the case of a picket fence, leaves the back side to you (ugly)

With a shadowbox you basically have a finished appearance on both sides.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does it matter if the neighbors next door have a stockade? Would it look goofy if ours was a shadowbox since they will be right up next to each other?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Both of my neighbors have a 4' high silver chain link fence and I put in a 6' high white privacy fence when I got the lab pups. Pay the extra money (its basically an investment/upgrade) and avoid the wood stockade fences and their maintenance. All I have to do is wipe down the algae like build up from the trees dripping every once in a while in a few spots and its as good as new. Looks great from my side because I can't see a thing on their side including them.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I would try and match theirs (another advantage to the shadowbox is your dog can see out, which should help cut down on barking and/or anxiety), but if you want the best for resell is chain link. A wood fence goes down in value (per your homeowners insurance 10% a year). Chain doesnt loose any value. The key is finding and doing a chain link so that looks good, and that can be hard to do. My personal favorite was a vinyl dipped chainlink that had timbers running in front of it. You had to look really hard to see it but it looked very sharp.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Have you thought about bamboo fencing?

The Mrs & I bought & installed an 8' Bamboo fence for our backyard. We have a neighbor who likes to shoot our cats with a pellet gun when they wander into their property. We never saw them do it & they admitted it only after being confronted. The Bamboo fence acts as a great barrier for both pets & neighbors.

We have had it installed for two years now, & it's been holding up well here in Northeastern Nevada. The heavy snow & wind have not affected it.
The key is to use metal T-Posts every 5', 4 x4 wood posts at a maximum of 50' & lots of bailing wire for tying the bamboo posts to the T-posts. Depending upon the height of your fence, is what the metal T-Posts should be level with after being pounded in.

It's easy to install / comes in 10' rolls. The neighbors can't see squat & we have our privacy. There is no maintenance required other than having to re-stain it every five years. We bought it from a company in California. The natural color is a good choice. That's just our experience. You might hear something different from someone else.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

We are going with the stockade. I had never really paid much attention to types of fences until this last week!

Most of the other houses in the sub-division have stockade fences and the HOA allows only wood fences so our choices are somewhat limited, when it comes to the chain link and vinyl.

If anyone is in Augusta, GA for the Masters in April I'll pay you $200 to stain it!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fences are dumb, don't do it. They are ugly and build boundaries.
afrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobandit View Post
Fences are dumb, don't do it. They are ugly and build boundaries.
Really???