Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tiger Woods Athlete of the Decade?

Seriously? All the latest personal issues aside...how can he be the athlete of the decade? I know that he excels in the "sport" of golf but that just shows the lack of competition in golf. When the biggest factor in your "sport" is wind you have a problem. Just wanted to know what everyone else thought about this.

Tiger Woods voted athlete of the decade by members of The Associated Press - ESPN
Nodie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

He's probably more athletic than people in other "athletic" sports. It's not necesarrily no competition in golf, he's just that dominant.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nevermind........
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
He's probably more athletic than people in other "athletic" sports. It's not necesarrily no competition in golf, he's just that dominant.
i agree with him being athletic, i've heard about his workout regiment and training, but i'm just saying that as a whole golf isn't full of athletes. It doesn't take conditioning to play golf. Let's say if he takes a break from golf (which seems possible right now) how irrelevant will that sport become? I think golf is more of a skills game not neccessarily a sport and to name someone athlete of the decade who plays golf...just seems a bit undeserving of the award. Not saying he isn't dominant, not saying he isn't dedicated at what he does....just seems like someone else would be more deserving. Especially seeing as how he dominated the voting.

Just want to see what people think about it.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
mdh

Has anyone else had as much of an impact in their respected sport though?

The Golf Blog: Has Tiger had the greatest impact on golf, ever?
mdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Has anyone else had as much of an impact in their respected sport though?

The Golf Blog: Has Tiger had the greatest impact on golf, ever?
That's true... I think Tiger Woods is a beast. He was basically raised to play golf. He was a prodigy and from an early age you could tell he was special. Now let's say his father put a bat, a basketball, football, tennis racket...etc in his hand. Father worked with him the same way in the respective sport....would he have had the same impact? I think of Derek Jeter, LeBron James, Pete Sampras as people that are very skilled and determined to be the best. However, they play in sports that are complex, sports that involve direct competition with a defense and strategy. Because these sports are so complex, and because the competition is so tough, it is hard for any one individual to dominate. Which is why I think that a golfer should not be athelete of the decade. Tiger Woods is a rare exception to the sport of golf, an athlete yes. Dominant yes. I'm just saying if someone were to dominate the WNBA, should they get the award in ten years? What about Bowling?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
That's true... I think Tiger Woods is a beast. He was basically raised to play golf. He was a prodigy and from an early age you could tell he was special. Now let's say his father put a bat, a basketball, football, tennis racket...etc in his hand. Father worked with him the same way in the respective sport....would he have had the same impact? I think of Derek Jeter, LeBron James, Pete Sampras as people that are very skilled and determined to be the best. However, they play in sports that are complex, sports that involve direct competition with a defense and strategy. Because these sports are so complex, and because the competition is so tough, it is hard for any one individual to dominate. Which is why I think that a golfer should not be athelete of the decade. Tiger Woods is a rare exception to the sport of golf, an athlete yes. Dominant yes. I'm just saying if someone were to dominate the WNBA, should they get the award in ten years? What about Bowling?
Iam assuming you have never played competitive golf or even golf for that matter...Ive played just about every sport competitively and nothing is as hard as golf. Especially when you are playing in a tournament and you have to mentally grind shot after shot after shot and you also have to be in pretty good physical shape as well to do that week in and week out...Golfers will know where iam coming from here. Also Tiger became the FIRST athlete EVER to become a billionare! No other athlete has ever done that! I think that proves right there he should be the athlete of the decade IMO...
longdriverstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdriverstl View Post
Iam assuming you have never played competitive golf or even golf for that matter...Ive played just about every sport competitively and nothing is as hard as golf. Especially when you are playing in a tournament and you have to mentally grind shot after shot after shot and you also have to be in pretty good physical shape as well to do that week in and week out...Golfers will know where iam coming from here. Also Tiger became the FIRST athlete EVER to become a billionare! No other athlete has ever done that! I think that proves right there he should be the athlete of the decade IMO...
He should be athlete of the decade but not because he made a lot of money.
Jamarcuss Russell got a BIG contract. Doesn't make him good, just rich.
Roger Federer could have won but Nadal kind of threw off his chances.
Hopefully a player will emerge with the hole left by Tiger. Maybe Mickelson can start to pull away from the pack and make Tiger come back to show he is still the best at what he does.
Shelden916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelden916 View Post
Hopefully a player will emerge with the hole left by Tiger. Maybe Mickelson can start to pull away from the pack and make Tiger come back to show he is still the best at what he does.
Personal issues aside, this makes sense. Like previously said, it's not a lack of competition, it's just that Tiger is THAT good. You cannot punish Tiger because he wins all the time. Yes, he struggled (based on his career) after the injury, but that just proves he's human, and that he didn't just "bounce back into form" from the injury. Plus, everyone expects Tiger to win. Shouldn't that put more pressure on him?
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

i wonder if phelps or armstrong would have won if they didn't have drug issues.

Last edited by mnvikingstwins; 12-16-2009 at 08:34 PM.
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
i wonder if phelps or armstrong would have won if they didn't have drug issues.
i think armstrong should have had high consideration, but i think Phelps had only a small portion of the decade to state his case. what he accomplished is very impressive, but didin't span an entire decade
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelden916 View Post
Jarmarcus Russell got a BIG contract but as we all know he will not continue to make that kind of money bc hes terrible. I see where you are coming from there saying that money doesnt mean an athlete is the greatest. And I agree but Tiger just didnt win one or two tournaments, he has won alot and will continue to dominate his sport and make millions off earnings and sponsors.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

How do you guys feel about Albert Pujols? Is it bc he hasnt completely dominated his sport bc of AROD?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

he's steriod clean at least unlike A-rod.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
HuH? I played sports at a high level, golfed at a decent level. In Order to call golf a TRUE SPORT(it is a sport). Let the gallery cheer ANYTIME, let the audience yell, Let the GOLFER PLAY WITH THEIR OWN money, GOLFER CARRIES there OWN BAG. Give only the top 3 players money each contest. etc...

Golf is hard, but when "pussies" complain about cameras clicking, 50 year olds competing and winning, Over weight 40 year olds competing. ============ Like playing a round with my friends. ANYTHING GOES! Swing flag sticks as you putt, yelling and gambling with your own money, NOW THAT IS A SPORT.

Tiger is the most relevant athlete of the decade though.
STADIUM GOLF! Golfers competing with yelling home crowds! THAT would be called a sport!

Golf is a "sport" kinda, a pussy sport. Yes i used to golf, but the idiots and pussies all over the course shooting 80-90-100s but acting like tiger and taking to long was irritating. IF someone doesnt shot 70's, they shouldnt be allowed to get mad on the golf course or expect any type of etiquette from other golfers on the course.

Last edited by h4auto; 12-16-2009 at 09:07 PM.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
How about Tiger? Roids/ illegal substance free? we will see.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Jarmarcus Russell got a BIG contract but as we all know he will not continue to make that kind of money bc hes terrible. I see where you are coming from there saying that money doesnt mean an athlete is the greatest. And I agree but Tiger just didnt win one or two tournaments, he has won alot and will continue to dominate his sport and make millions off earnings and sponsors.
I find the money argument very irrelevant. All that money means is that the player is popular and has good PR.
Shelden916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

if they voted today would the winning margin be as big? the vote was in November
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
HuH? I played sports at a high level, golfed at a decent level. In Order to call golf a TRUE SPORT(it is a sport). Let the gallery cheer ANYTIME, let the audience yell, Let the GOLFER PLAY WITH THEIR OWN money, GOLFER CARRIES there OWN BAG. Give only the top 3 players money each contest. etc...

Golf is hard, but when "pussies" complain about cameras clicking, 50 year olds competing and winning, Over weight 40 year olds competing. ============ Like playing a round with my friends. ANYTHING GOES! Swing flag sticks as you putt, yelling and gambling with your own money, NOW THAT IS A SPORT.

Tiger is the most relevant athlete of the decade though.
STADIUM GOLF! Golfers competing with yelling home crowds! THAT would be called a sport!

Golf is a "sport" kinda, a pussy sport. Yes i used to golf, but the idiots and pussies all over the course shooting 80-90-100s but acting like tiger and taking to long was irritating. IF someone doesnt shot 70's, they shouldnt be allowed to get mad on the golf course or expect any type of etiquette from other golfers on the course.
LMAO! Youve obviously never played competitive golf...I agree 100% with you on the yelling part! I think that would be great! In the "sport" I have half a** try to compete in music and yelling is strongly encouraged. lol However thats not part of golf. Now if it was then Tiger wouldnt be complaining when cameras go off and people talk in his backswing. Do you think that Tiger is the only one that gets pissed when that happens? No. You just hear or see him do it bc hes "Tiger". Also what does playing with your own money have to do with anything??? Does Lebron or Kobe play with their own money? Or does Peyton or Farve gamble? You wana talk about pussies how bout football?! You might as well make the NFL, NFFL. National FLAG football league. I mean we can go ALL day arguing on what the criteria is to be a sport and you and I may disagree. But face it golf IS considered a sport so therefore they ARE athletes.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
if they voted today would the winning margin be as big? the vote was in November
They did say on ESPN today that over half the votes or something like that was after the wreck had occurred. Bc I was wondering that myself.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
They did say on ESPN today that over half the votes or something like that was after the wreck had occurred. Bc I was wondering that myself.
but right after the crash there wasn't news yet that he had so many girlfriends
Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hmm I dont know about athlete of the decade but definitely "player of the year."

- no applause?
kensanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Not necessarily. He just has not been caught if the rumors of his doping are in fact true.

Quote:
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

If we are going to call golf a sport, then we need to call auto racing a sport, and has there been a more dominant auto racer than Jimmie Johnson? No, Jimmie Johnson is the athlete of the decade.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

he has 2 more championships than Stewart. I think Tiger has dominated more
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote