Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Haha... yeah. Do you think that will ever be lifted?

I was thinking about this, only buy that machine that spits them out fast. Is it worth the about $500 investment for the machine?
Unlikely.

We as Americans pay for the minting of currency. It costs more than a cent to make a penny. Melting down currency for personal use is no different than walking into a national museum, taking a piece of art and selling for your own personal gain.

I don't see the need for physical currency. When will it phase out completely? Look at the treasury expense of minting. Continuing to mint makes no logical sense.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Unlikely.

We as Americans pay for the minting of currency. It costs more than a cent to make a penny. Melting down currency for personal use is no different than walking into a national museum, taking a piece of art and selling for your own personal gain.

I don't see the need for physical currency. When will it phase out completely? Look at the treasury expense of minting. Continuing to mint makes no logical sense.
But don't they already allow this with silver coins? I'm not into coins, I stick with bullion. Of course i've checked, and still check, all my coins to make sure there aren't any silvers in the mix, but I haven't found one since the 90's!!!

Currently, the penny value is $0.022. It was $0.03 not too long ago... so $1,000.00 worth of copper pennies would be worth $3,000.00! Not too bad when you're able to manage getting your hands on $10,000.00 worth of them Thus why that $500 machine wouldn't be a bad invement at all. But if this will never be lifted, then it doesn't make any sense at all. I would imagine it should be lifted at some point, but when?

Oh, and here's the link to the penny info: http://www.coinflation.com/coins/190...nny-Value.html
Old 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #78 (permalink)

This is what smokes coins and bullion

$8000.00 in silver for $2900.00 OOP

There is FAR more to be gained by buying jewelry and reselling it as silver jewelry than there is buying coins and waiting for the market to go up and the same goes with bullion. I carry it all,but these is far more lucrative and a HELL of a lot easier and cheaper to come by.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
But don't they already allow this with silver coins? I'm not into coins, I stick with bullion. Of course i've checked, and still check, all my coins to make sure there aren't any silvers in the mix, but I haven't found one since the 90's!!!

Currently, the penny value is $0.022. It was $0.03 not too long ago... so $1,000.00 worth of copper pennies would be worth $3,000.00! Not too bad when you're able to manage getting your hands on $10,000.00 worth of them Thus why that $500 machine wouldn't be a bad invement at all. But if this will never be lifted, then it doesn't make any sense at all. I would imagine it should be lifted at some point, but when?

Oh, and here's the link to the penny info: 1909-1982 Lincoln Copper Penny Melt Value - Coinflation
Why it's now illegal to melt down US coins - MoneyWeek

At times (not sure of the present), the current penny's zinc is worth more than one cent.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
This is what smokes coins and bullion

$8000.00 in silver for $2900.00 OOP

There is FAR more to be gained by buying jewelry and reselling it as silver jewelry than there is buying coins and waiting for the market to go up and the same goes with bullion. I carry it all,but these is far more lucrative and a HELL of a lot easier and cheaper to come by.
Who said I don't already do this...?

Buying scrap gold is the best! Agreed 100%

What % of spot you looking to get for all of it?

Thanks, Fullmetal.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:

Oh, and here's the link to the penny info: 1909-1982 Lincoln Copper Penny Melt Value - Coinflation
There is a 0% chance that copper pennies and current CuNi nickels will not be able to be melted someday. How long no one knows. The thing is China is using Cu at an alarming rate. In 20 years we could see $8 to $10 per lb for Cu. Also pennies is the only investment where you can't ever lose your initial investment.

I have just over $10,000($10,057 as of 5pm today) in Cu pennies. I will never lose that orginal $10k, but even at today's prices, if it was legal to melt, that would be $22k melt, so I would probably net $17 or $18k. 70 to80% returns are amazing. Now if Cu triples in 20 years, that would be $51 to $54k, on the $10k investment.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Who said I don't already do this...?

Buying scrap gold is the best! Agreed 100%

What % of spot you looking to get for all of it?

Thanks, Fullmetal.
I sell out of the shop at 2.00 per gram.
I ship 200 ounces a month to the refinery, per a contract, at market on the day of delivery.
Where scrap exceeds other forums, if you take time to have a venue to sell, is an average ring will weigh in, with stones, around 3-7 grams. You can usually get the ring for 1.90-6.50.
I sell for a flat 2.00/gram on everything but rings. Rings are a flat 15.00.ea. Women flock to buy from me simply because the same 15.00 ring would cost them 40-150.00. The rule is simple, no stone, except diamonds over 1/4 ct, have value to the store. So, Lady A gets here a 2 ct ruby cluster,littered with 4 point diamonds for 14.00 that would cost here several hundred at a retail store.
The other side is the odd,rare and old. I have rings on ebay that are 150 yrs old. I have poison rings by the bag fulls (My Dad collects these, no idea why :P ) all obtained at a % of market set to ensure the local pawn shops cannot be even competitive with us. A pawn shop ( Any store that deals in scrap or used jewelry is a pawn to us) has heavy overhead if they are successful. Most want to be in the 35% range. By paying the way we do, we are in the 50-55% on whole rings and 80-82% on pure silver.
By focusing on jewelry, no matter how bad the market is, I still get that 15.00 a ring and 2.00 gram and when the market is down, I nearly quadruple my profit.

So

Consider it.

Another upside is you get REALLY terrific pieces that make great gifts.
19 pandora brand bracelets that I have picked up this month and armloads of charms. Those charms, in scrap, cost me 1.50-2.25/ea and move at 12-15/ea on ebay as they cost 25-50/ea if they are actual pandora brand. You take a bracelet that retails for 50.00 and sells, loose,used for 40.00, load it up with 24 charms all sterling, with a total investment of around 55.00-65.00 and they will sell on the bay for around 400.00. You just have to make sure it is all Authentic pandora. You sell one "fake" pandora and people will run away from your auctions

I hope this helps some people to see another side of the silver market.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
And a prison sentence.
Have a hard time figuring out how that is constitutional since technically the coin is your property, but realistically the legal fees to defend yourself will eat any profit.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #84 (permalink)

Looks like another roller coaster coming. Started out of the gate strong going up +0.25, but already reversed and down -0.35
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #85 (permalink)

Down even more!!!

Gold Price

Now i'm getting excited...
Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #86 (permalink)

Why exactly
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Why exactly
First off, thank you for all the info... that's genius!

I'm excited because I can get in pretty low. Hopefully it goes even lower come tommorow.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #88 (permalink)

A basic read, though not all encompassing.

Understanding Gold: Currency? Investment? Commodity? - Seeking Alpha
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
First off, thank you for all the info... that's genius!

I'm excited because I can get in pretty low. Hopefully it goes even lower come tommorow.
Do not get into gold
Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #90 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

What are Gold Flakes exactly? I've seen some online with some items.
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #91 (permalink)

A Scam

Gold plated copper
They makes sheets as thin and as malleable as aluminum foil, of copper,then EP it. bake it with mercury,let it dry...gold flakes
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
A Scam

Gold plated copper
They makes sheets as thin and as malleable as aluminum foil, of copper,then EP it. bake it with mercury,let it dry...gold flakes
Ok thanks for the info, looks like it's hard to get a good deal on ebay. Thought I could get some stuff + ebay bucks, so much for that...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #93 (permalink)

Silver is down $2.50 already today. Yuck.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
Ok thanks for the info, looks like it's hard to get a good deal on ebay. Thought I could get some stuff + ebay bucks, so much for that...
ebay is the Worst place to by PM's, it seems everyone on there is a collector instead of an investor, you can usually buy online, and resell it(w/o any change in spot price) on ebay and still turn a profit. Every once in a while you can find good deals, but like any other category you need to do research. I buy lots of foreign coins, because most people have no clue about them, I bought a lot last year for $17, plus shipping, it contained 2 older gold coins, that I ended up reselling for over $500. But that is once ina blue moon.

And any bullion items(if you want to invest in gold and silver, this is what you want to buy) you don't get ebay bucks for. Up until late 2011 or early last year you did, and some sellers with weak hands, would sell every time the price dropped, and I would be able to rack up almost $500 in ebay bucks every quarter, by buying cheap PM lots and just reselling them, and pocketing the ebay bucks.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #95 (permalink)

Down baby.... down, DOWN!!!! hahahaha

This is great, like going in a time machine. How lower will it go? Who knows, right? If anybody did, they would be Billionares lol
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #96 (permalink)

Must be great to be able to knock down prices like this, and then print as much useless paper you want to, and buy all the physical you can. You would think the US could actually get out of debt this way. Some how they will still screw it up and probably land us in further debt.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
ebay is the Worst place to by PM's, it seems everyone on there is a collector instead of an investor, you can usually buy online, and resell it(w/o any change in spot price) on ebay and still turn a profit. Every once in a while you can find good deals, but like any other category you need to do research. I buy lots of foreign coins, because most people have no clue about them, I bought a lot last year for $17, plus shipping, it contained 2 older gold coins, that I ended up reselling for over $500. But that is once ina blue moon.

And any bullion items(if you want to invest in gold and silver, this is what you want to buy) you don't get ebay bucks for. Up until late 2011 or early last year you did, and some sellers with weak hands, would sell every time the price dropped, and I would be able to rack up almost $500 in ebay bucks every quarter, by buying cheap PM lots and just reselling them, and pocketing the ebay bucks.
That was the Master plan

Have been checking some sites that were posted earlier, will try to find some local first. Really want to invest on some Troy OZ of silver to start. Will keep doing my research and what not.

Thanks again
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #98 (permalink)

lmao, the bullion site I was just on crashed lol
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #99 (permalink)

Yeah I was just trying to buy a Kilo bar (for only .59 cents over spot per oz),and it crashed my whole computer I have had to reboot twice now. I still think we will see the high side of $21, but I am nervous that most of the physical will be sold out. One site I go to, has sold over 3,000 ozs, since 11pm last night, and they are a tiny site. I cant imagine wh Provident, and Apmex, are doing these last few and the next few days.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #100 (permalink)

I've got 2 1963 quarters and a few dimes back as change recently. Thought I got some crap tokens from the sound them made in my pocket. The dimes were in my change jar and the coin star machine kept spitting them back out.