Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #126 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Glad I decided to wait on buying today! If I would've bought what I was going to this morning it would've came to $515, right now it's at $495.
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
I made the same mistake with some gold I bought last week or two... oh well.
Can't dwell in the past, right?

I bought Silver Eagles last week. Probably not a great investment, but they look cool as hell.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman916 View Post
Can't dwell in the past, right?

I bought Silver Eagles last week. Probably not a great investment, but they look cool as hell.
Well, it'll be worth it when silver prices go up to the estimates i've heard of $60 to $400 an oz! haha

Hold them long enough, they always go up... that's the history of gold and silver. It's definitely a great investment long term. But pleanty of money can be made short term as well if you play your cards right. I guess I would be open to do both short and long term.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
I made the same mistake with some gold I bought last week or two... oh well.
Ouch dude, hope you catch a nice rebound
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, it'll be worth it when silver prices go up to the estimates i've heard of $60 to $400 an oz! haha

Hold them long enough, they always go up... that's the history of gold and silver. It's definitely a great investment long term. But pleanty of money can be made short term as well if you play your cards right. I guess I would be open to do both short and long term.
My parents ran businesses for most of their life and recently retired. Their gift to me, a bunch of old coins. They had no idea what the value was and neither did I. The whole reason I got into silver was because of a coworker of mine. He was telling me about how he was selling off his junk silver. So I go home to see what my parents left me. All 1964 or earlier....quarters, half dollars, morgans, etc. So I decided to test the waters and sell some of the 40% 65-69 Kennedy...cha-ching! That's when I decided to get some Silver Eagles. Picked a bad time to make that decision...should have researched more.

I'm going to buy more this week to make up for it.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:

Not to burst your bubble, but metals are the WORST long term investment. No one knows what the future holds, but the past has been lousy for metals on the long. Since 1926 gold has less than a 3% annualized return.

Gold purchased 45 years ago today would have returned 3.8% annualized (taking CPI into account.)

The S&P500 annualized with CPI accounted for was around 10%.

Last edited by fullmetal; 04-16-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
My parents ran businesses for most of their life and recently retired. Their gift to me, a bunch of old coins. They had no idea what the value was and neither did I. The whole reason I got into silver was because of a coworker of mine. He was telling me about how he was selling off his junk silver. So I go home to see what my parents left me. All 1964 or earlier....quarters, half dollars, morgans, etc. So I decided to test the waters and sell some of the 40% 65-69 Kennedy...cha-ching! That's when I decided to get some Silver Eagles. Picked a bad time to make that decision...should have researched more.

I'm going to buy more this week to make up for it.
There you go!

Oh nice! My father too gave me a bunch of silver coins he had saved over the years, mostly quarters. This was a while back, many years ago, Lord knows where those coins are today... haha

You'll do just fine. It's an average thing, doesn't really matter when you come in. Only thing that matters is that you're in now! Never too late to buy gold and silver. Because a loaf of bread was $0.05 at one point doesn't mean we're idiots for paying $1.95 a loaf today Heck, 15 years down the road a loaf of Italian bread will probably be an even 5 bucks!!!

You're in the game, so as they say.... stack on!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but metals are the WORST long term investment. No one knows what the future holds, but the past has been lousy for metals on the long. Since 1926 gold has less than a 3% annualized return.

Gold purchased 45 years ago today would have returned 3.8% annualized (taking CPI into account.)

The irony between this post and your username brings me great joy
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamybeige View Post
The irony between this post and your username brings me great joy
Kubrick's Jacket
Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Kubrick's Jacket
I am aware. It's still funny
Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:

Bubble not bursted.... at the very least, gold and silver is a great piggy bank. At the very least! Beats spending money on other things, like cards

But I gotta be hopeful and think that it will bring a great return within the next 2 years or so. I'm all for short term also don't me wrong, but I don't see aything wrong with the long term. Heck, there might be a crazy jump down the road as we saw about a year or so ago, and then you sell and you're good to go. Wait till it drops and start over. At the end of the day, anyway you look at it, the metals are still in front of your face and no one is going to take it away, and there would be no need to burn it like paper money to keep warm with

History has shown that it does nothing but go up... for the most part. Look at the entire history and it's clearly there. So yeah, at the very least, it's a great piggy bank. For every 4 or 5 beers you were going to buy outside, buy an oz of silver!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamybeige View Post
Ouch dude, hope you catch a nice rebound
Thanks. We win some, we lose some.... the name of the game. Just hope not to lose more than we win.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
I wish I saw this thread earlier...made a bad investment in silver. Oh well. Looking forward to buying more.
Well, I wouldn't say bad.
You will make money in a few months anyway,so do not worry about it
Average down
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advise! You make great points. I'll take the gold and silver all day long.... I really appreciate your insight, thanks a lot.

One question please, what is your opinion of gold and silver prices in the next year or two? Going up? Down? How much do you think?

https://store.scottsdalesilver.com/page/24/index

I've ordered from them many times, never a problem. A great plus of this site, you can pay with paypal! Makes it easy to order with just a few clicks. The shipping is very secure, couldn't ask for more. If I were you, I would go to youtube and watch videos of others opening their packages from Scottsdalesilver. Good luck, and stack up!
Thanks for the link to scottsdalesilver. Picked up a roll of 20 yesterday
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
Thanks for the link to scottsdalesilver. Picked up a roll of 20 yesterday
Np... NICE!!! Congrats!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:

Well now that's just not true.

We don't need to look at CPI for this comparison. 1971 is a good starting point (42 years ago when gold backing was officially removed from the USD ... yes we could do 45 years, result is going to be the same).

1/1/1971 Price Comparison
- 1 Share of S&P 500: $92
- 1 Troy Ounce of Gold: $35

1/1/2013 Price Comparison
- 1 Share of S&P 500: $1425
- 1 Troy Ounce of Gold: $1675

Average Nominal Annual Change, 1971-2013
- 1 Share of S&P 500: +6.74%
- 1 Troy Ounce of Gold: +9.65%
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #142 (permalink)

1/1/1971 Price Comparison
- 1 Share of S&P 500: $92
- 1 Troy Ounce of Gold: $35
- 1 Troy Ounce of Silver: $1.88

1/1/2013 Price Comparison
- 1 Share of S&P 500: $1425
- 1 Troy Ounce of Gold: $1675
- 1 Troy Ounce of Silver: $30.30

Average Nominal Annual Change, 1971-2013
- 1 Share of S&P 500: +6.74%
- 1 Troy Ounce of Gold: +9.65%
- 1 Troy Ounce of Silver: +6.76%
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #143 (permalink)

So what do you guys think of the prediction that gold will fall below $800? Heard it this morning on Bloomberg news...

Does this mean silver will follow? If so, how much will it drop, and by what month?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
So what do you guys think of the prediction that gold will fall below $800? Heard it this morning on Bloomberg news...

Does this mean silver will follow? If so, how much will it drop, and by what month?
Wow ... that would be crazy.

However, I think it's about as likely that gold will fall to $800 as it is that gold will spike to $5,000. I don't see it happening.

If that were to happen, I would assume that silver would follow while maintaining something near the 55:1 ratio (which would put silver at about $14.50/oz). Again, I just don't see this happening.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Wow ... that would be crazy.

However, I think it's about as likely that gold will fall to $800 as it is that gold will spike to $5,000. I don't see it happening.

If that were to happen, I would assume that silver would follow while maintaining something near the 55:1 ratio (which would put silver at about $14.50/oz). Again, I just don't see this happening.
Yeah, they really didn't give a date... but they said very confidently that it will most likley happen. I'm hoping silver drops!

Sure i'll pick up some gold at that price, but definitely will stock up on silver.

Edit: By the way, i've heard estimates of $8000 and $10,000 an oz for gold

Last edited by SportsItUpCards; 04-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #146 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Silver seems to be on its way back up? Did it's bottom price already pass?
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #147 (permalink)

I don't pride myself on being a "conspiracy theorist", but I wonder what's really going on behind the scenes to make the prices drop. I don't think demand has really changed at all.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #148 (permalink)

I think a few in this thread said that the lowest point should be tommorow(thursday). But hopefully it goes down a lot more sooner than later. I'm ready to jump in big......... sure we need to know what's going on behind the scenes to know more, but to be honest, I really don't care haha. As long as it goes down.... it's all good. It would be for long term anyway, but if it ever gets a huge jump before that, I would sell everything.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
I think a few in this thread said that the lowest point should be tommorow(thursday). But hopefully it goes down a lot more sooner than later. I'm ready to jump in big......... sure we need to know what's going on behind the scenes to know more, but to be honest, I really don't care haha. As long as it goes down.... it's all good. It would be for long term anyway, but if it ever gets a huge jump before that, I would sell everything.
Same here, picked up 39 canadian maple coins 2 days ago. Probably give it a go again today or tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I don't pride myself on being a "conspiracy theorist", but I wonder what's really going on behind the scenes to make the prices drop. I don't think demand has really changed at all.
Cyclical selloffs mixed with dumb reco's on "sell" by dummy analyst.

If you create enough fear in the marketplace by selling a load to weaken prices, you can get the lemmings to believe the "sell" reco and people start dumping.

In my opinion there is no way gold hits $800 anytime soon or ever for that matter. Its obvious someone is buying it up!!!

Its just like gas prices and futures played on barrels of oil. 2 yrs ago a B of oil was like $87. Prices were less than $1/litre. Today they are below $100 per B but prices are still the same for gas as if were sitting at $130/b. Once that bar is set, its used as a gauging factor.

I have a question for those that listed prices earlier. When you quote $1675/oz for gold, what is the price you can actually sell it for and net after taking into factor all expenses?
Closed Thread