Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question GOLD & SILVER prices............. WOW!

$1477.60 for Gold currently, and $25.99 for Silver.

How lower will they go!?

Gold Price

Should I hold off on buying? I've been buying lately, but I don't know if I should wait a little before buying anymore.

Advise?

Thanks,

Giovanni
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post

How lower will they go!?

Gold Price

Should I hold off on buying? I've been buying lately, but I don't know if I should wait a little before buying anymore.

Advise?

Thanks,

Giovanni
Buy silver. Keep silver. Sell silver. Repeat.
-The Old Man
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I'm supposed to believe advice from one of the coin shows you see on National TV, gold is headed to $5000/ounce and silver $100/ounce by next year.

Piece of cake to invest now...lol
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

In the grand scheme of things, I will venture an opinion that anyone buying at these prices will not be disappointed in 10 years. Not sure? Take $1k and buy silver (or gold). Take $1k USD and stash it away. In 2023, get back to me as to the value of each and their respective purchasing power.

If you think the prices of tangible goods are going to fall, say gasoline is going back to $.78/gallon, then by all means keep the paper fiat.
If you think that, with endless QE adopted by other nations, the value of the paper currency will continue to fall against the value of goods, then go with metals.

I know where I fall in this reality. There's way more to all this than the value listed for physical gold/silver. Keep in mind the existence of highly manipulative ETF's for each metal. It's easy to dump shares of worthless paper 'assets' into the market to drive physical prices down. Oh, why might you wonder... well, those with the printing presses can acquire physical at a substantial markdown all while making the market look horrible to the pedestrian market watcher. I assure you, no Central Bank became a net seller of gold in the last 24 hours. I would wager that, however, they have been cranking the presses up to buy more at their wonderfully magically manipulated new lower sale prices.

Do your own due diligence.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
-The Old Man
Which do you think it better for long term, and for short term?

What do you predict silver, or gold, or both, will go up to, or down to, in the next year or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
If I'm supposed to believe advice from one of the coin shows you see on National TV, gold is headed to $5000/ounce and silver $100/ounce by next year.

Piece of cake to invest now...lol
Yeah haha... or $10,000.00 an ounce i've heard HA!

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anybody have experience buying physical silver ? Any advice as to sites?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, I will venture an opinion that anyone buying at these prices will not be disappointed in 10 years. Not sure? Take $1k and buy silver (or gold). Take $1k USD and stash it away. In 2023, get back to me as to the value of each and their respective purchasing power.

If you think the prices of tangible goods are going to fall, say gasoline is going back to $.78/gallon, then by all means keep the paper fiat.
If you think that, with endless QE adopted by other nations, the value of the paper currency will continue to fall against the value of goods, then go with metals.

I know where I fall in this reality. There's way more to all this than the value listed for physical gold/silver. Keep in mind the existence of highly manipulative ETF's for each metal. It's easy to dump shares of worthless paper 'assets' into the market to drive physical prices down. Oh, why might you wonder... well, those with the printing presses can acquire physical at a substantial markdown all while making the market look horrible to the pedestrian market watcher. I assure you, no Central Bank became a net seller of gold in the last 24 hours. I would wager that, however, they have been cranking the presses up to buy more at their wonderfully magically manipulated new lower sale prices.

Do your own due diligence.
Thank you very much for the advise! You make great points. I'll take the gold and silver all day long.... I really appreciate your insight, thanks a lot.

One question please, what is your opinion of gold and silver prices in the next year or two? Going up? Down? How much do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo16 View Post
Anybody have experience buying physical silver ? Any advice as to sites?
https://store.scottsdalesilver.com/page/24/index

I've ordered from them many times, never a problem. A great plus of this site, you can pay with paypal! Makes it easy to order with just a few clicks. The shipping is very secure, couldn't ask for more. If I were you, I would go to youtube and watch videos of others opening their packages from Scottsdalesilver. Good luck, and stack up!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advise! You make great points. I'll take the gold and silver all day long.... I really appreciate your insight, thanks a lot.

One question please, what is your opinion of gold and silver prices in the next year or two? Going up? Down? How much do you think?
An easy inquiry with an impossible answer. If only taking into consideration fundamentals, the 'price' of both should be well above current levels. If taking into consideration massive market manipulation, such as the dumping of millions of shares of ETF's (GLD, SLV and others) into the paper markets - who knows?

I think that if you are a precious metals investor, your horizon is far from a one to two year window. You're trying to protect wealth and purchasing power from inevitable inflation due to the endless production of fiat currency.

Throughout history, the value of gold has always risen alongside the monetary supply. Right now, it's in one of the highest deviations from this history that it has ever been... probably ever will be. So, in this instance, it appears to be the buying opportunity of a lifetime.

People who bought at $1900/oz. don't think so, though, so those are typically going to be the 'weak hands' that will sell first. It's a relatively small part of the market, I would suspect. Even those in these markets in the early 2000's are still doing very well. 2000 to 2005 was a price per oz. on silver of about $4.50 USD to $9.00 USD. Guarantee those folks aren't worried one bit about this dip in value. Gold was about $275 to $525 during the same time period. Again, no worries from the long term planners/holders in that time frame.

Anyhow, I refrain from price value targets on things that can be manipulated so easily. However, I will say with 100% certainty that I fully expect the valuation of metals to preserve purchasing power and wealth over an extended period of time if acquired over an extended earlier period of time, say 10 to 20 years.

A quarter in 1964 bought you one gallon of gas.

A quarter from 1964 will still buy you one gallon of gas.

The key to this statement is the fact that the 1964 quarter is made of 90% silver. The value of that silver quarter today, even with the falling price of silver, places it's purchasing power (commodity to commodity) at $4.62.

Wrap your mind around that...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Everything I've been reading says $25-26 is the bottom but we will be at bottom for a while. I'm in this for the long term, so I don't mind that I bought some at $32 because it is a hedge against inflation, and like winter, inflation is coming.

These guys are local, and they have pretty good pricing.

http://www.jmbullion.com/
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey can someone explain to me the basics of investing in gold and silver? Like when is it the best time to buy (and of course sell)?, And how exactly do you sell your gold?, I'm young so would it be better to invest some of my money earlier? (etc.)

Sorry if I hijack this thread. I'm just a curious person

EDIT: It's probably best to PM if you're willing to help so we don't derail this thread.

Last edited by AKHMERICA; 04-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
-The Old Man
I like that, and have taken it to heart.

I've been planning to start buying silver for a while and have been watching prices since it was over $30 an ounce and picked today as the day I would buy my first silver. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked prices after getting off work early today to see that 6% drop. I promptly went out and bought 66 ounces, 1 10 oz. bar and 56 of the Canadian Wildlife 1 oz rounds (25 cougars, 25 antelope, 5 moose and 1 bison.
I'm very lucky in that there is a Bullion and Currency Exchange 10 minutes from my house, walk in with cash and walk out with the physical silver in my hand. No taxes, no shipping and no waiting.

I plan to buy every month so I'm hoping the price stabilizes at current levels, or keeps going down.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
I like that, and have taken it to heart.

I've been planning to start buying silver for a while and have been watching prices since it was over $30 an ounce and picked today as the day I would buy my first silver. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked prices after getting off work early today to see that 6% drop. I promptly went out and bought 66 ounces, 1 10 oz. bar and 56 of the Canadian Wildlife 1 oz rounds (25 cougars, 25 antelope, 5 moose and 1 bison.
I'm very lucky in that there is a Bullion and Currency Exchange 10 minutes from my house, walk in with cash and walk out with the physical silver in my hand. No taxes, no shipping and no waiting.

I plan to buy every month so I'm hoping the price stabilizes at current levels, or keeps going down.
Welcome aboard! Also, congrats on turning the perceived value of paper currency into real money.

Depending on your overall goal, just a bit of advice to watch the premiums paid for the numismatic releases (Wildlife series, for example) versus just buying bullion at/near spot. You can amass more total oz. with just the bullion vs. paying the premium for the special minted stuff. Granted, it's way more fun to pick up the special stuff, just kind of stating the obvious with the pricing difference. You are quite lucky to be able to buy with no tax, too. Most states are still taxing metals in some form.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post
Hey can someone explain to me the basics of investing in gold and silver? Like when is it the best time to buy (and of course sell)?, And how exactly do you sell your gold?, I'm young so would it be better to invest some of my money earlier? (etc.)

Sorry if I hijack this thread. I'm just a curious person

EDIT: It's probably best to PM if you're willing to help so we don't derail this thread.
It'd take quite a bit of typing to explain this market. I've been in the securities markets for about 15 years but, only about 2 spent in the metals markets. A great place for information that I have found is:

https://www.kitcomm.com/index.php

There is an absolutely amazing amount of information there from folks who have generations of knowledge in these markets.

As for the questions... well, to me anyway, the best time to buy is when you can come to the understanding that the pieces of paper in your wallet and bank account are nothing but instruments of debt and have only the value you've been taught to believe in your mind. The unique opportunity lies in the ability to trade them for metals that have been utilized as real money for thousands of years, throughout history. All paper currency systems have collapsed. Every one of them. We're pushing one of the longest in existence with the current form of the 'dollar' right now. After going off the gold standard, which controlled the ability of a gov't to spend freely as it had to be backed by something tangible (gold), the dollar can be printed freely and at will... as it is now.

When to sell... that's a personal decision. As with any investment, one should develop a clear exit strategy before they enter into the trade. With metals, it might be when your investment doubles. It might be when the DJIA to gold ratio gets back near 1:1. With silver, it might be when 1/10th oz. of silver returns to the value it had in Roman times (Denarious) and was used as pay for a day's work as a Roman soldier.... there are many options.

You can sell to online dealers, local buyers - such as pawn shops, coin shops, etc. If you're young, as you state, you have the most valuable asset on your side: time. Use it to your advantage and gather the knowledge you need to make wise investment decisions. It's time consuming but well worth the effort.

Good luck -
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Welcome aboard! Also, congrats on turning the perceived value of paper currency into real money.

Depending on your overall goal, just a bit of advice to watch the premiums paid for the numismatic releases (Wildlife series, for example) versus just buying bullion at/near spot. You can amass more total oz. with just the bullion vs. paying the premium for the special minted stuff. Granted, it's way more fun to pick up the special stuff, just kind of stating the obvious with the pricing difference. You are quite lucky to be able to buy with no tax, too. Most states are still taxing metals in some form.
Yeah, I plan on only getting 1 tube (25 oz.) of each, maybe 2, then pretty much stick to 1 oz Maple Leafs and 10 oz. bars. I picked the Wildlife rounds mainly because the difference in price between what the VBCE buys and sells them for is similar the generic rounds, they cost more to buy but they buy them at a higher price too. They still end up having a bit of a premium, but they also have a certain collectable appeal apart from the silver content, not huge, but it is there .
I'm still new at this, but I think a little diversity is a good thing, at least for the modest amount I'll be buying every month (20-30 ounces)

Last edited by Incarnadine; 04-12-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm going to wait for everyone to buy 50 tons of silver this week and list it all, making the value go down even more.

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
I'm going to wait for everyone to buy 50 tons of silver this week and list it all, making the value go down even more.
Are you a relative of the Hunt Brothers? lol

Nelson Bunker Hunt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
Even if the price drops down low for the next little while, the price will increase. I already own some silver, and I'll be buying some more. Silver prices will return to their old form, mark my words.

And if not, well, we'll all be #@#@#@#@ outta luck!!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

ill stick with stocks with divs.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
It'd take quite a bit of typing to explain this market. I've been in the securities markets for about 15 years but, only about 2 spent in the metals markets. A great place for information that I have found is:

https://www.kitcomm.com/index.php

There is an absolutely amazing amount of information there from folks who have generations of knowledge in these markets.

As for the questions... well, to me anyway, the best time to buy is when you can come to the understanding that the pieces of paper in your wallet and bank account are nothing but instruments of debt and have only the value you've been taught to believe in your mind. The unique opportunity lies in the ability to trade them for metals that have been utilized as real money for thousands of years, throughout history. All paper currency systems have collapsed. Every one of them. We're pushing one of the longest in existence with the current form of the 'dollar' right now. After going off the gold standard, which controlled the ability of a gov't to spend freely as it had to be backed by something tangible (gold), the dollar can be printed freely and at will... as it is now.

When to sell... that's a personal decision. As with any investment, one should develop a clear exit strategy before they enter into the trade. With metals, it might be when your investment doubles. It might be when the DJIA to gold ratio gets back near 1:1. With silver, it might be when 1/10th oz. of silver returns to the value it had in Roman times (Denarious) and was used as pay for a day's work as a Roman soldier.... there are many options.

You can sell to online dealers, local buyers - such as pawn shops, coin shops, etc. If you're young, as you state, you have the most valuable asset on your side: time. Use it to your advantage and gather the knowledge you need to make wise investment decisions. It's time consuming but well worth the effort.

Good luck -
Thanks for the indepth response. I just took a look at the website you linked. It made me realize this isn't all that straightforward as I thought it would be lol. Hopefully I'll be able to learn about this market soon as it seems quite promising.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Are you a relative of the Hunt Brothers? lol

Nelson Bunker Hunt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haha no but great little read there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Even if the price drops down low for the next little while, the price will increase. I already own some silver, and I'll be buying some more. Silver prices will return to their old form, mark my words.

And if not, well, we'll all be #@#@#@#@ outta luck!!

Don't get me wrong, I have 6 Troy pounds of silver all silver eagles from the early-late $80's. bought them 3 years ago when silver was $12 an oz. so I'm doing pretty decent so far.

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all the insight, you guys are truely amazing, and know your stuff really well. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike barnes View Post
ill stick with stocks with divs.
Are stocks better?

I never had a rich uncle Charles to teach me.... so any insight you may have is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Buy silver. Keep silver. Repeat.
-The Old Man
Fixed it for you.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:

How lower will they go!?

Gold Price

Advise?

Thanks,

Giovanni
Keep buying. Cost averaging is a wonderful thing. I have purchased at $17 to $49 an ounce and everywhere in between. I will be making some large purchases at these prices.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Always buy at 80% and sell at spot +1. Doesn't matter if silver is 100.00 or 1.00
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
Keep buying. Cost averaging is a wonderful thing. I have purchased at $17 to $49 an ounce and everywhere in between. I will be making some large purchases at these prices.
Really good advise, as I plan to buy both gold and silver for long term. So this makes perfect sense. Thank you! Wow $17 Hopefully we'll see that again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
Always buy at 80% and sell at spot +1. Doesn't matter if silver is 100.00 or 1.00
What do you mean?