Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

Whats this about demanding everyone pay for Health Ins or pay a penalty. There is something wrong with these pycho politicians
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I retired June 2008 and we get paid health for life. At that time, a family BCBS monthly family premium was approx. $1400, Jan 2009 went to $1650, Jan 2010 going to $1800+. All I can say is thanx to the union in my town that negotiated this because over the next contract or 2, this will certainly be taken off the table for new retirees...
This is similar to the municipality I work for. Im covered now, but upon my retirement, or separation from employment, my coverage ends. This was negotiated before I was hired. All new hires from here forward will have the same plan.
signal_fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetre View Post
I was in a pretty nasty accident on Halloween Day. I was taken via ambulance to ER where I stayed for 4 hours---I was checked out--CAT scan--IV--ect ect. No surgery--no cuts--no broken bones---pretty sore--whiplash---otherwise I am ok---

oh and the bill--------$13,000.00. My health and car insurance will probably go up too----even though the other driver was completely at fault.'

fidrych
This is exactly what I was referring to earlier. There's no way in the world that the hospital's costs were anything remotely close to $13K. That bill is absurd for a 4 hour visit and zero complications.

Fix the prices by bringing them down to something reasonable, and then there wouldn't be a "healthcare problem" in America anymore.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
If you, like Indy, didn't have any insurance you'd be liable to pay most of that bill whether it was your fault or not. It may eat into your savings or credit balances.
I honestly don't know the answer but it would be nice if we gave everyone some minimum coverage. At least for early preventive checkups and services.

Vinny
unless you don't make a ton then your bill gets written off.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
unless you don't make a ton then your bill gets written off.
And those who do pay into the system are left with a more expensive system because of it. That's fair. Ultimately I think Health Care is in a no win situation. The Government is obviously too inept to manage it (although people seem to like Medicare) and the private sector is too greedy. I would prefer to see it remain in the private sector but it needs to be treated differently than cars being sold on the open market. The private sector reforming itself and understanding cost, accessibility, and options are a must, would probably be the best case scenario but I doubt that would happen.

Last edited by pac213up; 12-21-2009 at 07:23 AM.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajim View Post
Unreal what people have to pay Wife and I covered through my military retirement little over $400.00 and that is a year
That also covered my two daughters until they turned 23.
Only took 24 years of my life and Uncle Sam sends me a big check every month also

You youngins should think about a military career
I'm in the same boat. I'm in the Military so I get "Socialized Medicine" But since I signed up to be owned by the government I accept the care given. For everyone out there that thinks health care wouldn't be rationed under a government run health care system you should stop by any DOD Health Clinic. When waiting in line for a perscription you take a number. Your number is based on your "Importance" which is set by the Government. I bet you'll never guess who's at the bottom of that list. RETIRED PEOPLE. Since I'm still on active duty I go the head of the line. Another thing that bothers me about this health care debate is the people who don't do anything for the Government expect to be given things from the Government. And before anyone says something like "My taxes pay your income". I also pay income tax on my income. So explain why the government retaxes taxed money

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_PatsFan View Post
So explain why the government retaxes taxed money
Because we let them. There are so many instances of our own government bending us over like this, but we're all too busy, or uninformed to make any real stand or change.

There may come a day when we are all out of work, hungry, and being pushed around that a spark may ignite something big. Maybe.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Because we let them. There are so many instances of our own government bending us over like this, but we're all too busy, or uninformed to make any real stand or change.

There may come a day when we are all out of work, hungry, and being pushed around that a spark may ignite something big. Maybe.
Sadly there will be propaganda that will sound like this "The Government is going to give you 1 loaf of bread a week". People always fall for it because all they hear is what they are getting and not what's being taken away.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_PatsFan View Post
So explain why the government retaxes taxed money
Impossible question to answer since basically at this point all money has been taxed repeatedly.

Think about it this way:

Employees pay taxes on what they make.
Then they pay taxes on what they spend.
The companies they are buying from pays taxes on what they get paid.
Then the companies pay out employees.
Repeat.

And it's all the same money being taxed in each spot...

As a military brat (father and grandfather both served 20+ years in the Air Force - got other relatives in other branches as well), I just want to thank you for all you do for our country. And that goes for all of our military personnel out there.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote