Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default I'm in the Market for a New Car, Need Help!

I should be hearing in the next couple days whether or not I am being promoted, and if I am, and if the raise is 10% or higher, I am going to purchase a new car.

I already know what I want, but I need some guidance in how to go about haggling for the right price. I have my sights set on a 2013 Subaru Outback. The thing is, there is only one Subaru dealer around me, and I almost feel like because of the lack of competition, I will not do the best I could.

I was thinking of purchasing a one-way plane ticket up to Portland, OR, as that seems to be a hotbed for Subaru dealers. You think it would make sense to do that?

NEED HELP!
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

For whatever reason, when I read threads you've created, it feels like you're trying to show off rather than seek assistance. Everything you ask could be answered using a simple Google query.
thestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestyle View Post
For whatever reason, when I read threads you've created, it feels like you're trying to show off rather than seek assistance. Everything you ask could be answered using a simple Google query.
Huh, that line sounds very familiar. I've done my Google research, hence, the reason I've settled on the Outback. However, there are a couple car salesmen on this board, and I was directing my thread at them. But thanks for your trolling...keep raising that thread count
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh golly gee, lighten up. ;-)

Good luck with the promo.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

bought my last car through Costco's auto buying program, got a pretty decent price...could it have been lower? maybe, but I didn't have to haggle and was in and out in an hour
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

First of all, hopefully you get that promo bud!

I have always done extremely well negotiating deals on cars, so well that friends and family usually don't believe how much I've talked them down until I show them the paperwork.

-Never, ever let them know that you are married to the Subaru car that you really want, make them talk you into it.
-You gotta play some serious hardball but be ready to walk if they don't give you exactly what you want, I've walked away from some great cars that I've wanted if the people weren't willing to negotiate.
-Also look into things like best time of month and even best month to buy the car. Hitting them up at the end of their quarter where that individual sale may not be about the commission on that car but rather part of a bigger picture like a quarterly car total quota could be huge for you.
-My last car purchase turned into a pretty heated exchange with the sales manager that lasted until well after they were closed but I could tell he really needed the sale. It was well worth it though as I got everything I wanted and then some.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

I bought my new car 2 years ago - it was the easiest thing I've ever done - which I never thought I'd say.

Went through Edmunds.com - did all my research - figured out what "package and upgrades" I wanted - and contacted multiple dealers through the website.

I had previously gone and did a test drive with like 3 cars - but once I figured out which of the 3 I wanted - I went to the website. I had no intention of buying when I was test driving.

I said don't call me. I'm not coming in. Deal with me through email. Here is what I want, here is what I'm willing to pay (in a range - but small range), figure out a way to make it work.

I told them all I was dealing with other dealerships and the first one to get me my car, with the options, at a price point range, then I'd come in and buy it.

I must have gotten 20 emails per dealerships each one knocking down the price a bit but changing some options. I kept saying no.

Finally one guy had 99% of what I wanted at the low end of my price range. I said I'd be there today. Walked in, dropped my down payment on the table, handed him the keys to my trade in and walked out. I was there less then 15 minutes.

Easiest thing I've ever done.

Emailing through Edmunds was key to the whole thing for me - as I never talked to anyone outside of email until I was handing over the cash.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I bought my new car 2 years ago - it was the easiest thing I've ever done - which I never thought I'd say.

Went through Edmunds.com - did all my research - figured out what "package and upgrades" I wanted - and contacted multiple dealers through the website.

I had previously gone and did a test drive with like 3 cars - but once I figured out which of the 3 I wanted - I went to the website. I had no intention of buying when I was test driving.

I said don't call me. I'm not coming in. Deal with me through email. Here is what I want, here is what I'm willing to pay (in a range - but small range), figure out a way to make it work.

I told them all I was dealing with other dealerships and the first one to get me my car, with the options, at a price point range, then I'd come in and buy it.

I must have gotten 20 emails per dealerships each one knocking down the price a bit but changing some options. I kept saying no.

Finally one guy had 99% of what I wanted at the low end of my price range. I said I'd be there today. Walked in, dropped my down payment on the table, handed him the keys to my trade in and walked out. I was there less then 15 minutes.

Emailing through Edmunds was key to the whole thing for me - as I never talked to anyone outside of email until I was handing over the cash.
I think I just found out how I am going to purchase my next car. Thanks for the info.
To the OP, I am a big fan of Subaru. I like the Outback if you need the cargo space but for the money I would go with the Legacy.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I flew to Cleveland from MD, caught a Tribe game, picked up my Legacy in Akron and drove it home...still saved $1000 over buying it locally. It's definitely doable if you can get them down to the right price.
Boqueesha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
bought my last car through Costco's auto buying program, got a pretty decent price...could it have been lower? maybe, but I didn't have to haggle and was in and out in an hour
I have an email out to the local dealer through the Costco program. They weren't very forthcoming with what kind of prices are available to me, at least not without going in there. I don't think that's the appropriate business practice, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpat21 View Post
First of all, hopefully you get that promo bud!

I have always done extremely well negotiating deals on cars, so well that friends and family usually don't believe how much I've talked them down until I show them the paperwork.

-Never, ever let them know that you are married to the Subaru car that you really want, make them talk you into it.
-You gotta play some serious hardball but be ready to walk if they don't give you exactly what you want, I've walked away from some great cars that I've wanted if the people weren't willing to negotiate.
-Also look into things like best time of month and even best month to buy the car. Hitting them up at the end of their quarter where that individual sale may not be about the commission on that car but rather part of a bigger picture like a quarterly car total quota could be huge for you.
-My last car purchase turned into a pretty heated exchange with the sales manager that lasted until well after they were closed but I could tell he really needed the sale. It was well worth it though as I got everything I wanted and then some.

Good luck!
Thanks man. This is all great information. I will have to dig deeper into my research. Didn't even think about the timing of my purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post

GREAT tips, thank you. I have sent quote requests out through various zip codes (locally, on the "green" CA coast, and also to Portland), so maybe I'll get a bite.

The last purchase I made was over the phone and text message with a local dealer, but it was for a Chevy, and there are tons of Chevy dealers around me. I did exactly as you did, called around, found a dealer that was more interested in the sale than the commission, and got me pretty close to what I wanted. Once he found what I wanted, I drove to the dealer, plopped down the downpayment via cashier's check, and had him "order" the car from Los Angeles. Two days later, my wife was driving home in her new car.

Frankly, I think I caught Luis (my salesman) by surprise. Not sure he had ever had a customer like me before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
I think I just found out how I am going to purchase my next car. Thanks for the info.
To the OP, I am a big fan of Subaru. I like the Outback if you need the cargo space but for the money I would go with the Legacy.
I have researched both. The Legacy is basically the 4-door version of the Outback, minus $3k. I truly have my heart set on the Outback, though. The cargo space will be necessary with two kids, three dogs, and a wife who enjoys shopping!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

If there is no trade in it's easier.

When I purchase a new car. I go in, tell them the car I want and tell them how much I will pay.

When they give me the "Well I have to run it by my sales manager" line I tell them I don't go to flea markets so I don't want a counteroffer.

Of course I am not picky and don't want or need any extras so it works out for me.

The will come back with a higher offer and I grab my stuff and leave before getting the "What will it take to get you inthis car today?" line.

I then tell them my price again. I either get it or I leave.

Also. Try to get financing up front so you can comapre the rate vs what they are offering.

On my last purchase, 2012 Civic, I'm paying $412 intersest on a $19K car over 5 years. 0.9% rate. Will end up paying less because I pay $300/mo. Bill started at $292/Mo and April is $253. So I will end up paying less in interest.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boqueesha View Post
I flew to Cleveland from MD, caught a Tribe game, picked up my Legacy in Akron and drove it home...still saved $1000 over buying it locally. It's definitely doable if you can get them down to the right price.
Until you have to change over your registration to Maryland and they take you to the bank. You have to pay the taxes on the price of the car to register. I had a 2007 Jeep Cherokee that I bought in Georgia. When I moved to Maryland and had to change over the registration I had to pay the sales tax for Maryland on the price I paid for the car. Even though I paid sales tax in Georgia on the car. Maryland is bs.
babyfaceposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
If there is no trade in it's easier.

When I purchase a new car. I go in, tell them the car I want and tell them how much I will pay.

When they give me the "Well I have to run it by my sales manager" line I tell them I don't go to flea markets so I don't want a counteroffer.

Of course I am not picky and don't want or need any extras so it works out for me.

The will come back with a higher offer and I grab my stuff and leave before getting the "What will it take to get you inthis car today?" line.

I then tell them my price again. I either get it or I leave.

Also. Try to get financing up front so you can comapre the rate vs what they are offering.

On my last purchase, 2012 Civic, I'm paying $412 intersest on a $19K car over 5 years. 0.9% rate. Will end up paying less because I pay $300/mo. Bill started at $292/Mo and April is $253. So I will end up paying less in interest.
You realize you could market this as a service, right? You're coming with me to buy my next car.

"Uh, hi ... yes, this is my proxy, Dr. J.L. Zinck ... he'll be handling everything from here ... I'll just be right over there playing in that Hummer."
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Huh, that line sounds very familiar. I've done my Google research, hence, the reason I've settled on the Outback. However, there are a couple car salesmen on this board, and I was directing my thread at them. But thanks for your trolling...keep raising that thread count
I agree, 500+ posts in the same month you signed up just to bash on a well respected member.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
You realize you could market this as a service, right? You're coming with me to buy my next car.

"Uh, hi ... yes, this is my proxy, Dr. J.L. Zinck ... he'll be handling everything from here ... I'll just be right over there playing in that Hummer."
Basically if you are a money grubbing whore you will haggle over $10.

Me? I know what the car costs. I know that even if they sell to me at "cost" they still make $$. I am also a realist and I know they have to make something.

I offer a realistic profit and have zero stress when buying cars.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Don't be an idiot, buy a nice used car.
Deeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I should be hearing in the next couple days whether or not I am being promoted, and if I am, and if the raise is 10% or higher, I am going to purchase a new car.

I already know what I want, but I need some guidance in how to go about haggling for the right price. I have my sights set on a 2013 Subaru Outback. The thing is, there is only one Subaru dealer around me, and I almost feel like because of the lack of competition, I will not do the best I could.

I was thinking of purchasing a one-way plane ticket up to Portland, OR, as that seems to be a hotbed for Subaru dealers. You think it would make sense to do that?

NEED HELP!
Good luck on the negotiations.

Ive never bought from Subaru before so i dont now their practices on discounting and markups.

Tho I do like this new "All in" price Toyota uses to sell their cars. They sill wheel and deal around those prices, but atleast you know the price you are working with.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
I agree, 500+ posts in the same month you signed up just to bash on a well respected member.
it was a copy paste of a post he made earlier. I'm probably one of the least hateful people you'll ever meet. Man, I'm so misunderstood. /emo
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeks View Post
Don't be an idiot, buy a nice used car.
I have a psychological condition where I don't like buying used things. Yes, I understand I am pissing money away, but I bought a new home, I buy new clothes, I buy new cell phones, I tend to buy wax as opposed to singles, and I would rather buy a new car than a used one.

Again, it's psychological.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
it was a copy paste of a post he made earlier. I'm probably one of the least hateful people you'll ever meet. Man, I'm so misunderstood. /emo
The problem with sarcasm, esp. on the internet ... if it's not complemented by a healthy dose of sincerity once in a while, you just end up looking like an @$$.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

The internet is serious business
Old 04-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
The internet is serious business
Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I have a psychological condition where I don't like buying used things. Yes, I understand I am pissing money away, but I bought a new home, I buy new clothes, I buy new cell phones, I tend to buy wax as opposed to singles, and I would rather buy a new car than a used one.

Again, it's psychological.
My father is the same way. He never buys anything used. He literally hates other peoples stuff. When my father is ready for another car, he sells the car to a wrecker for pennies instead of selling it used because he doesnt anyone having it.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
My father is the same way. He never buys anything used. He literally hates other peoples stuff. When my father is ready for another car, he sells the car to a wrecker for pennies instead of selling it used because he doesnt anyone having it.
LOL ... makes me think of my father-in-law ... I have had many a full stomach eating leftovers out of my in-laws' fridge
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
LOL ... makes me think of my father-in-law ... I have had many a full stomach eating leftovers out of my in-laws' fridge
Ironically my father doesnt eat leftover either. Fresh supper every night for him.