Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Figured I'd toss in an update to bounce off some ideas....

Hey Guys.

Haven't been posting much on blowout lately as life has been incredibly busy & very great.

I used to post a lot of my struggles on here until a friend told me to stop struggling with my struggles and pretty much whooped me in the rear to stop worrying & get back on track. I have since decided to do everything under my power to stop worrying and letting situations make me fearful & relax a little into life. It has been really amazing the results. People have actually taken a double back when they are walking and realize that I'm no longer fretting or being anxious all the time.

Getting better with my finances too. The switch to paypal shipping was a god-send blessing! Because I'm paying less for shipping & shipping comes directly out of Paypal, I'm no longer over-charging my debit card as much anymore.

Still struggling with the card buying thing though & need to stop buying cards for emotional reasons. I notice when I buy cards more is after a rough day of work or after a really stressful situation which I can't really control myself. So then I overdraw my budget & have to scramble to make up for it. Which I managed to do this month. However, things have worked well because I'm doing better at work & making more hours at work.

So my rent bill is paid up after all & things are going smoothly. Before this gets too long, I want you to throw out some ideas for me. Been thinking about getting a new job, but not sure where to start. Was hoping a customer at my job would take notice & pick me up, or something like that. Trying hard to reinvent myself but I struggle at the key factor. I'm not quite sure what I'm good at besides sales.

So my main focus has been staying at McDonalds where I work. I have senority there & really have been doing much better. Ebay has been paying for itself or a little more. So that is OK.

Just not sure what the next step is in life.

Maybe you know.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Judging from your writing skills I'd say you are more intelligent than most of the halfwits out there. You can do better than McDonald's.
thestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestyle View Post
Judging from your writing skills I'd say you are more intelligent than most of the halfwits out there. You can do better than McDonald's.
I have a desire to start my own business but lack some of the practical skills.

I have an undergrad degree in business administration from the University of Massachusetts & have six years of college under my belt. Just a little to burnt out of college to go for my masters or I would in a heartbeat.

Love computers & sales. Not sure what job would be good that I could do in that, however, I'm a natural born people person & I thrive in social atmospheres.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

You seem great with calculations. Have you considered statistical modeling or forecasting?

Article I read a few days ago:

How to Explain Your Career Transition - Dorie Clark - Harvard Business Review
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Have no advice but I am rooting for you Ben!
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Secondeded!
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ben,

Good to hear from you! I am glad that things are going well for you. I hope that you can maintain the great focus that you have right now. With a great attitude you will go far!

Have you thought about a computer help desk type position? I think that you would be great at this job. Many companies are bringing these jobs back from India to the United States. There must also be additional things that you can do with your writing skills. I am not familiar with the jobs in this field so maybe others can chime in.

Once again welcome back!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Ben,

Good to hear from you! I am glad that things are going well for you. I hope that you can maintain the great focus that you have right now. With a great attitude you will go far!

Have you thought about a computer help desk type position? I think that you would be great at this job. Many companies are bringing these jobs back from India to the United States. There must also be additional things that you can do with your writing skills. I am not familiar with the jobs in this field so maybe others can chime in.

Once again welcome back!
I appreciate all the well-wishes. I'll definitely look into that and check out the certifications that I Need to make that work 37Jetson. I'm very skilled in software, just not as skilled in hardware malfunctions. My Laptop sits broken because I'm not sure whether or not I want to buy it a new video card. :-(

I Have fixed numerous neighbors computers. One even gave me $20.00 for me for fixing it because it would've cost them $50.00 at Best Buy to have it fixed. :-)

I know this area is swamped with computer repair businesses but maybe one will need a consultant.

Benjamin
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

hey Ben
Try looking at hotels. I know they are always looking for sales people and the internet is huge now for them and some hotels even have a sales person who is only responsible for internet deals (facebook, twitter, hotels.com, etc) It's sales and computer and will pay much better than a mcdonalds and you will probably have a normalish work schedule. It can't hurt too look. not having experience in the industry might hurt, but maybe even going part time at a hotel (like I do) might benefit you. Also you have a lot of graduations w/colleges and HS coming up over the next 8 weeks so there will be people looking for rooms.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
I appreciate all the well-wishes. I'll definitely look into that and check out the certifications that I Need to make that work 37Jetson. I'm very skilled in software, just not as skilled in hardware malfunctions. My Laptop sits broken because I'm not sure whether or not I want to buy it a new video card. :-(

I Have fixed numerous neighbors computers. One even gave me $20.00 for me for fixing it because it would've cost them $50.00 at Best Buy to have it fixed. :-)

I know this area is swamped with computer repair businesses but maybe one will need a consultant.

Benjamin
The type of jobs that I am talking about do not deal with fixing hardware. They are help desk people who take calls about things such as expired passwords, how to use software, how to load a new application, etc. You get to interact with a lot of people who are typically thankful once you have solved their problem.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
And thirded (is that even a word?)
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Stop cards in general. Especially blowing $$ on Michael Egnew cards.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Accounting buddy. Call Accountemps and try to get some accounting work. With a college degree and some math skills you should be able to get some work and see if you like it.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
And thirded (is that even a word?)
Fourthadid?

Keep doing what makes you happy Ben! How are things at home? Parents getting better with you? I know things have been rocky at home. Just keep your head up and keep moving forward.

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
Fourthadid?

Keep doing what makes you happy Ben! How are things at home? Parents getting better with you? I know things have been rocky at home. Just keep your head up and keep moving forward.
fiveadid
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

i'm not trying to bash mcdonalds in anyway, people rely on it as an income but you should not be working there with a college degree unless it's upper management, i'm an accountant and we hire people all the time with college degrees, does not have to be in accounting but something business related is preferred so maybe try accounting or finance, one of my good friends has his degree in business admin and he's a HR manager and makes pretty good money doing it
bkovach06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Good for you Ben. Keep chugging along in a positive direction.

If you're going to repair computers on the side, Combofix and join.me are your best friends. Learn to love 'em!