Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default UGH!! Why is getting out of the restaurant industry so difficult?

I'm graduating in a year with a Bachelors Degree in Human Resources Management & Management. I would LOVE to get a job in a Human Resources Department before I graduate. I've applied but all they seem to see is restaurant experience (a year as a host, and a year as a server, before that it's all retail, typical college jobs), or I just get lost in a sea of faces. I'm hoping to land something related to my education so I can stop using my hands and start using my head. I'm a pro at interviews, my performance reviews are always above average, and my group leadership is excellent (I have a lot of credible references).

I'm scared I'll be stuck in a serving position at a chain restaurant the rest of my life, unable to use my full potential. How do I get out? Have you ever been in my shoes? What did you do?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

network. network your ass off.

thankfully, when I was having a hard time finding a local teaching job, a friend from high school passed my resume on and I got a call the next week.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Can I state the obvious and just say to Network? I don't care what the means to you - Clubs, Professional organizations, whatever...

I participated in Ohio Society of CPA events, Columbus Young Professional events, and many others well before I was a CPA or a Professional...

I've hired many people in my day - and I can tell you that 95% of resumes are all the same - but when you know someone I know then it gives a connection.

Everything you put above I guarantee everyone else has - everyone has credible references and everyone has good performance reviews - not everyone is great at interviews so that helps if you are good at that.

You need to have a reason for me to remember you - and a resume isn't going to do that - but telling me you are involved in event X and you know someone else in my organization, even if not the same department, helps more then anything else.

I've worked 3 different "jobs" since college (meaning 3 different companies) - and all 3 I knew multiple people at the organization before I even submitted my formal resume for the job I wanted. 2 of the jobs weren't even posted online - I got them before they even went public. I was well ahead of the game.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Can I state the obvious and just say to Network? I don't care what the means to you - Clubs, Professional organizations, whatever...

I participated in Ohio Society of CPA events, Columbus Young Professional events, and many others well before I was a CPA or a Professional...

I've hired many people in my day - and I can tell you that 95% of resumes are all the same - but when you know someone I know then it gives a connection.

Everything you put above I guarantee everyone else has - everyone has credible references and everyone has good performance reviews - not everyone is great at interviews so that helps if you are good at that.

You need to have a reason for me to remember you - and a resume isn't going to do that - but telling me you are involved in event X and you know someone else in my organization, even if not the same department, helps more then anything else.

I've worked 3 different "jobs" since college (meaning 3 different companies) - and all 3 I knew multiple people at the organization before I even submitted my formal resume for the job I wanted. 2 of the jobs weren't even posted online - I got them before they even went public. I was well ahead of the game.
Yeah I need to network more but it seems like I have to work whenever they have networking events (Friday night socials, Sunday afternoon picnics, etc.)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

shut the hell up and make me a sandwich, dude. ;-)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Everybody already stated the obvious. Networking is hard, don't get down on yourself about having trouble finding a job. The reality is that experience and education don't mean all that much. Mostly because everybody has it these days. You are indeed a face in the crowd, and the only way to change that is to network. Find places you want to work and figure how to meet the movers and shakers at those places and get to know them. It will go a long way. When a job comes up at one of those places you knowing those people and them liking you will jump you ahead of people who might be vastly more qualified.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Just keep applying. I worked Construction for 5 months after graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems.

Then I got in the door of a company doing Data Entry and started moving up from there.

Don't ever think a job isn't good enough or too good for you. The worst a company can say is no. Everyone has to start somewhere.
My Sportscardalbum -> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jiggidy
jiggidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestyle View Post
shut the hell up and make me a sandwich, dude. ;-)
As long as you tip me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggidy View Post
Just keep applying. I worked Construction for 5 months after graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems.

Then I got in the door of a company doing Data Entry and started moving up from there.

Don't ever think a job isn't good enough or too good for you. The worst a company can say is no. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Right. I just need to get my foot in the door. Been told to go that route too. Ideally the school wouldn't like that but hey I've got to do what I've got to do.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are you currently working in a restaurant? That could be one of the best networking opportunities. Do groups come in for lunch? Some chatter while you assist folks could be your break.

It doesn't have to seem reasonable. A friend of mine was working charter fishing on the Kona Coast. He now works on Wall Street thanks to a fishing client.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Look into summer internships. You won't get paid a lot (if at all), but at least getting some experience in your field will boost your resume. Plus you'll get to know people in the field, who ever if they don;t hire you, might know someone else at a company who is hiring.

Plus you might be able to work nights at your restaurant to keep the cash flow incoming
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Are you currently working in a restaurant? That could be one of the best networking opportunities. Do groups come in for lunch? Some chatter while you assist folks could be your break.

It doesn't have to seem reasonable. A friend of mine was working charter fishing on the Kona Coast. He now works on Wall Street thanks to a fishing client.
Well hey send him my way lol. I talk some but it depends on the people. My shifts are mostly weekends so I avoid a lot of the business crowd but I have school full time during the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailChamp View Post
Look into summer internships. You won't get paid a lot (if at all), but at least getting some experience in your field will boost your resume. Plus you'll get to know people in the field, who ever if they don;t hire you, might know someone else at a company who is hiring.

Plus you might be able to work nights at your restaurant to keep the cash flow incoming
I'm taking a full load this summer otherwise that would be great. Even in the fall though a non-paying internship with a full class load and work to support it all will be damn tough. But hey... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right??