Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Any Marines on here?

I have been talking to a few guys I know personally about the Marin's. anyone on here a Marine? What's the basic training like? How should one who is thinking of joining, prepare himself for it? What are some requirements needed?
NoobCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are a few I believe, Ron (ronlabo) being one.

USMC is a big step, one I respect deeply.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
There are a few I believe, Ron (ronlabo) being one.

USMC is a big step, one I respect deeply.
Yeah. I was thinking national guard...but Marines
Seems like something that would be life-changing. Imagine that feeling knowing YOU became a Marine...strenuous boot camp. Harder than any other basic training. But I feel it would change my
Personality too..something I need ASAP
Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm a Marine but from a whole nother era. Went to Vietnam and came back to being basically spit on. It was much more friendly in Nam.
Basic training I've heard is easier now. No hitting or grabbing your throat is allowed. But, it will be tough! Lots of tests to start you off on and then the grilling and drilling starts. Be smart and keep a low profile. Don't let the D.I. get to know your name or he will OWN you. There is no preparation you can do. Requirements have been upgraded since the 60's but see your recruiter to find out what's needed.
And, just when you think you have what you need for your desired 'job', you get a completely different job (MOS).
Good luck!
just-for-cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just-for-cards View Post
I'm a Marine but from a whole nother era. Went to Vietnam and came back to being basically spit on. It was much more friendly in Nam.
Basic training I've heard is easier now. No hitting or grabbing your throat is allowed. But, it will be tough! Lots of tests to start you off on and then the grilling and drilling starts. Be smart and keep a low profile. Don't let the D.I. get to know your name or he will OWN you. There is no preparation you can do. Requirements have been upgraded since the 60's but see your recruiter to find out what's needed.
And, just when you think you have what you need for your desired 'job', you get a completely different job (MOS).
Good luck!
Wow. They used to be able to physically grab you? I'd punch the guy in the face. Lol. I'm very shy..attentive..I kind of soak things in. I don't know of that's good or bad going through basic training. If I do...I will take a year to focus on building muscle now..working out..running...building stamina etc.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Grab you? Choke you, throw you, ect.
1st day, off the yellow footprints and through the check-in process (you'll love that), we get to our barracks and the D.I. says to get ready to hit the racks (bed) and leaves for a couple minutes. One guy gets on the top rack and lays down and the DI comes back in and grabs him by the throat and body slams him to the ground from the top rack. Then he says he didn't give him permission to hit the rack.
We all learned a lot that day!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Grab you? Choke you, throw you, ect.
1st day, off the yellow footprints and through the check-in process (you'll love that), we get to our barracks and the D.I. says to get ready to hit the racks (bed) and leaves for a couple minutes. One guy gets on the top rack and lays down and the DI comes back in and grabs him by the throat and body slams him to the ground from the top rack. Then he says he didn't give him permission to hit the rack.
We all learned a lot that day!
Wow.
Pretty intense. They turn you into robots lol.
But honestly I get the whole idea...it's
Something you probably only appreciate later...is the idea they break you down mentally and physically...but not to be your enemy....rather to build you up to make you the best you can be
Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

not a Marine but i am in the Air Force been in about 3 years and did a tour in Afghanistan. Regardless of branch it is life changing. Good Luck.
usaf010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf010 View Post
not a Marine but i am in the Air Force been in about 3 years and did a tour in Afghanistan. Regardless of branch it is life changing. Good Luck.
Oh wow. How long we're you over there for?
Thanks for serving out country.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Boot camp is where they weed out the rejects.
The DI's will make it tough on you to not only make you mentally and physically stronger but give you confidence in whatever you do. They never appeared friendly but we all knew that they cared for each of us. Kind of strange.
National Guard will be a cake walk if it wasn't for so many years.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Boot camp is where they weed out the rejects.
The DI's will make it tough on you to not only make you mentally and physically stronger but give you confidence in whatever you do. They never appeared friendly but we all knew that they cared for each of us. Kind of strange.
National Guard will be a cake walk if it wasn't for so many years.
I have major confidence problems. That's why im even scared to go and talk to a recruiter. Even now in college...ne'er though I'd do well..and I still don't believe I deserve the grades I got.'lol. So I'm just afraid I'll go and end up in basic training...and just be flattened lol
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Good luck!
Wow from a time when you could be drafted.
Were you drafted or did you enlist?

And take the bolded part to heart.
My cousin enlisted and had a hard a$$ed DI. My cousin thought he was a bad a$$ as well and he was, but not as bad as the DI.

The DI gave him a free shot....Danny took it...knocked the DI down and and then proceeded to get his arse kicked.

The DI did have a little more respect for him after the fight but still made him his bitch.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

My brother is a marine and a bad mo fka
Old 05-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have several friends in the military: 3 rines, 1 navy, 1 air force, and 1 coast guard. Surprisingly none in the army (when they are the largest). All my friends know each other in high school and started in different intervals (some straight after high school, others 1-2 years after). My best friends are in the rines and air force. My friends told me if you are good at school you should join the air force officers? They said you get a higher rank, better pay, and all the benefits without being in the field (if you don't want to be deployed). Otherwise if you want to be a pilot gotta have 20/20 vision (no contacts/glasses). If you are a weapons fanatic, I'd suggest joining the army, my rine friends told me they get the handy down weapons and that the army gets the best equipment since they are the largest thus having the largest funding. It's a great lifetime experience and if you are fit and can handle the DI yelling at you 24/7 then go ahead and try the bootcamp.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Proud Active Marine here 16 years.

I was a Drill Instructor on Parris Island 2007-2010

Currently serving as a Squad Instructor for prospective DI's at the Drill Instructor School.

Best advice...get physically strong and fast, be mentally tough and grow thick skin.

You will have to EARN the title. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
I have several friends in the military: 3 rines, 1 navy, 1 air force, and 1 coast guard. Surprisingly none in the army (when they are the largest). All my friends know each other in high school and started in different intervals (some straight after high school, others 1-2 years after). My best friends are in the rines and air force. My friends told me if you are good at school you should join the air force officers? They said you get a higher rank, better pay, and all the benefits without being in the field (if you don't want to be deployed). Otherwise if you want to be a pilot gotta have 20/20 vision (no contacts/glasses). If you are a weapons fanatic, I'd suggest joining the army, my rine friends told me they get the handy down weapons and that the army gets the best equipment since they are the largest thus having the largest funding. It's a great lifetime experience and if you are fit and can handle the DI yelling at you 24/7 then go ahead and try the bootcamp.
You're actually able to qualify if you get Lasik but I hear it has to be approved before hand? and of course there is a minimum vision level pre-surgery you have to meet.

I have been considering going AF after I graduate as an officer and then hopefully doing space systems of some sort but most likely what I want to do will be limited and will probably go private sector and actually design thing. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by bassking511; 05-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
bassking511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealstunna View Post
Proud Active Marine here 16 years.

I was a Drill Instructor on Parris Island 2007-2010

Currently serving as a Squad Instructor for prospective DI's at the Drill Instructor School.

Best advice...get physically strong and fast, be mentally tough and grow thick skin.

You will have to EARN the title. Good luck!
Oh wow. That's awesome! So you're nice now lol. Thank YOU for serving our country..and helping others serve!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Marine from '95-99 1/10...went through boot camp prior to the new way (Crucible), so I was lucky enough to get the physical abuse from the drill instructors. Have nothing but respect for other Marines, especially the Drill Instructors personally.

It was definitely a tough 3 months both physically/mentally, but it makes you a much stronger/disciplined individual once you graduate. Good luck to all those future Marines and thanks for serving for all the veterans....

So, good to hear I rate military disability....too bad it's 0%....
jlcherry2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

As long as you're not a p**** you'll be fine.

If you are, then you don't belong in our brotherhood!
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Last edited by Davesportscards; 05-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

Here is my two cents. If you need money for college then do reserves but otherwise I don't see why you should not go active. I did four years in the Marines. Basic training really isn't that bad. It's one of those things you hate when you are doing it but after its done you think why did I think that was hard. to prepare just make sure you can do pullups. If you can't do at least 10 pullups don't waste your time. 3 is the minimum to pass the physical training test. I don't really regret my choice to join the Marines but I went Army after and am still active duty Army. If you have any questions about the two branches feel free to pm me
jeffmagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmagley View Post
Here is my two cents. If you need money for college then do reserves but otherwise I don't see why you should not go active. I did four years in the Marines. Basic training really isn't that bad. It's one of those things you hate when you are doing it but after its done you think why did I think that was hard. to prepare just make sure you can do pullups. If you can't do at least 10 pullups don't waste your time. 3 is the minimum to pass the physical training test. I don't really regret my choice to join the Marines but I went Army after and am still active duty Army. If you have any questions about the two branches feel free to pm me
I'm not worried about tuition. Local state school is a great school..and am able to get great grants/scholarships. If I did choose to do anything..it would only be in the summer/fall of 2014.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

So you just want to get more confidence? Will going to basic training make you a better person? I gained alot of self confidence from going to Marine boot camp. I just don't know your big picture here. reserves is a 6 year commitment. one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer. just something to keep in mind
Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Wow from a time when you could be drafted.
Were you drafted or did you enlist?

And take the bolded part to heart.
My cousin enlisted and had a hard a$$ed DI. My cousin thought he was a bad a$$ as well and he was, but not as bad as the DI.

The DI gave him a free shot....Danny took it...knocked the DI down and and then proceeded to get his arse kicked.

The DI did have a little more respect for him after the fight but still made him his bitch.
Yes, I was about to be drafted (that's a whole nother story) so I chose to join the Marines. My dad was in the Corps also in Tinian, Saipan, and Okinawa.
Like the guy above said, 10 pull-ups and 25 push-ups will give you a good idea going in if you have a chance. That's just a pre maggat goal for you.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I was about to be drafted (that's a whole nother story) so I chose to join the Marines. My dad was in the Corps also in Tinian, Saipan, and Okinawa.
Like the guy above said, 10 pull-ups and 25 push-ups will give you a good idea going in if you have a chance. That's just a pre maggat goal for you.
let me add to the 10 pull up and lets make it 50 pushups if you cant run 3 miles in under 19 minutes don't do it. you get 27 minutes but I"m 34 and I still keep myself to these standards. Even though I went Army