Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw9356 View Post
Thanks bud! That's funny, I almost picked up one of those up (it might have been a sail fish, can't remember exactly) but the fish was nearly 6' long and I couldn't figure out where in the world I'd keep it. They only wanted $150 or something which was super cheap but I also had to drive 400 miles round trip to pick it up. I would have picked it up no matter what, if I didn't have the long trip. I think they guys wife gave him an ultimatum about the fish. I think some of the coolest replicas are the Mahi Mahi, they look awesome if you have ever gone for one of them! Good luck on the Marlin hunt, we raised one when I fished in Costa Rica but he only came after the teaser and disappeared right after showing up, only thing we caught was some sunshine and an empty cooler of beer.
They are pretty neat arent they! Would be more meaningful to have one of a marlin you caught though, I dont know if I would take the 400 mi hike either. Mahi Mahi are incredible fish and taste amazing...I hooked up with two of them in Mexico but lost them both. One was a monster too. I actually had a 2.5 hour fight with a huge blue marlin in Cabo San Lucas (must have been well over 500 pounds) but lost it at the surface by the boat when the captain grabbed the leader.
stripedbass91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #127 (permalink)

Have any of you guys used a Mattlures blue gill swimbait for bass fishing before? Or anything like it?

Sometimes I would use live blue gill bait (I'd actually kill them first with a knife through the head - I could never justify hooking up a live fish for entertainment purposes). I'd do this, say, 1 out of every 4 times I go bass fishing and I find it works the best.

Anyways, I've been considering buying one of these swim baits because

A) The bait wouldn't get lost/eaten when a bass strikes

and

B) I wouldn't have to kill any more fish

They seem legit, but I don't want to throw away 20 bucks.

Here's the link for the baits: Blue Gill Swimbaits,PREMIUM SWIMBAITS FOR TROPHY BASS
Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedbass91 View Post
They are pretty neat arent they! Would be more meaningful to have one of a marlin you caught though, I dont know if I would take the 400 mi hike either. Mahi Mahi are incredible fish and taste amazing...I hooked up with two of them in Mexico but lost them both. One was a monster too. I actually had a 2.5 hour fight with a huge blue marlin in Cabo San Lucas (must have been well over 500 pounds) but lost it at the surface by the boat when the captain grabbed the leader.
That sounds awesome, wish I could salt water fish more often. Only been a few times. I think grabbing the leader is a caught fish by all accounts though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
Have any of you guys used a Mattlures blue gill swimbait for bass fishing before? Or anything like it?

Sometimes I would use live blue gill bait (I'd actually kill them first with a knife through the head - I could never justify hooking up a live fish for entertainment purposes). I'd do this, say, 1 out of every 4 times I go bass fishing and I find it works the best.

and

Here's the link for the baits: Blue Gill Swimbaits,PREMIUM SWIMBAITS FOR TROPHY BASS
Save your money, haven't used them, a swim bait is a fancy word for a large plastic swimming minnow bait, plus I think Storm lures has something similar or nearly exactly the same for $6-8 for a two or 3 pack.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Storm...ish/738373.uts
There are tons of them cheap out there. Plus I wouldn't use these unless I was fishing a known large bass lake, Texas, Florida, California, Mexico, etc. or a small private pond/lake known with big fish potential (lots of 5-6lb fish or consistently 7lb+ fish caught). These baits tend to lead to 1 or 3 big bites if you're really pounding the water hard as opposed to maybe 15-25 bites. I suggest a very simplistic, low tech, low cost approach. You may not always catch the biggest fish, but you catch more. Also, since largemouth are so structure orientated, you want to be casting towards structure, then you don't worry about having to break off a lure occasionally. I probably have caught 95% of the fish in my life on a standard jighead and plastic grub/minnow. Buy a 10 pack of jigheads 1/8 oz for 8 lb test maybe 3/8or1/4 for 10-14 lb test if you have big bass around for $2-3 and a 20 pack of 3" twister tail grubs $2. I really like orange jig heads and green grubs, kind of makes a firetiger type color very simplified. The largest bass I ever hooked was on a 1/16 oz plain lead head with a Bass Pro Shop 2.5" green swimming minnow w/ 4 lb test and a 4 1/2 ft ultralight pole. She was 9 lbs + but jumped 3 times and shook my hook on the 3rd jump, can still see her shake her head and the lure spitting out 19 years later, painful memories coming up (shedding a tear). My second largest ever landed 7lbs, 2lb test 4' Ultra light, 1/32 oz 1" tube jig, ice fishing

The other greats for bass are a standard texas rig 7" plastic worm about $5 for the pieces to the rig (bullet weight, worm hook, worms) or a standard safety pin spinner bait, $3. For $20 you can have quite a few options. Some other cheap ones are a Mepps spinner, Road runners, buzz baits, rattle traps. I have been hugely successful the last 10 years with Berkley Power Bait soft plastics and most recently have had super results with Berkley Gulp baits. If you want to go a little higher end baits, I suggest Rapala's husky jerks, $7-12 each, I personally have a problem paying more than $10 for a lure except a nice Musky bait, I'm sure if I fished more saltwater there would be more. I have rarely used live bait for bass fishing, but it can be effective. If you are going to use live bait and don't want to hook a fish, I suggest hooking the bluegill through the bottom then top lip and letting them swim freely, no different than catching one in the mouth and I doubt would hurt the fish much, plus bass strike the head more often than not. I think there may even be a hook designed where you can put a rubber band or something from the eye to the barb to hold the fish/live bait on.

Last edited by ajw9356; 09-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.
ajw9356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #129 (permalink)

If you want nice quality swim baits at a very good price, try these.

Big Joshy Swimbaits - Big Joshy Swimbaits - Swaggin' Minnows and Craws Fishing Lures

I'm taking some of these down to Disney in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to get a hold of some nice Florida Largemouth.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Save your money, haven't used them, a swim bait is a fancy word for a large plastic swimming minnow bait, plus I think Storm lures has something similar or nearly exactly the same for $6-8 for a two or 3 pack.
Storm WildEye® Live Sunfish : Cabela's
Yeah, I've used those before, have actually caught a few. I believe these are a little bigger, being around the size of a small bluegill or any other pan fish.

Quote:
There are tons of them cheap out there. Plus I wouldn't use these unless I was fishing a known large bass lake, Texas, Florida, California, Mexico, etc. or a small private pond/lake known with big fish potential (lots of 5-6lb fish or consistently 7lb+ fish caught).
Where I fish, I wouldn't call it a private pond, but it's very small and very rarely do people go there. It's somewhat like a sump, covered with trees and bushes, but the pond is stocked. I've caught up to 20 panfish in a few hours as well as largemouths, smallmouths, and catfish.

Quote:
These baits tend to lead to 1 or 3 big bites if you're really pounding the water hard as opposed to maybe 15-25 bites. I suggest a very simplistic, low tech, low cost approach. You may not always catch the biggest fish, but you catch more. Also, since largemouth are so structure orientated, you want to be casting towards structure, then you don't worry about having to break off a lure occasionally. I probably have caught 95% of the fish in my life on a standard jighead and plastic grub/minnow. Buy a 10 pack of jigheads 1/8 oz for 8 lb test maybe 3/8or1/4 for 10-14 lb test if you have big bass around for $2-3 and a 20 pack of 3" twister tail grubs $2. I really like orange jig heads and green grubs, kind of makes a firetiger type color very simplified. The largest bass I ever hooked was on a 1/16 oz plain lead head with a Bass Pro Shop 2.5" green swimming minnow w/ 4 lb test and a 4 1/2 ft ultralight pole. She was 9 lbs + but jumped 3 times and shook my hook on the 3rd jump, can still see her shake her head and the lure spitting out 19 years later, painful memories coming up (shedding a tear). My second largest ever landed 7lbs, 2lb test 4' Ultra light, 1/32 oz 1" tube jig, ice fishing

The other greats for bass are a standard texas rig 7" plastic worm about $5 for the pieces to the rig (bullet weight, worm hook, worms) or a standard safety pin spinner bait, $3. For $20 you can have quite a few options. Some other cheap ones are a Mepps spinner, Road runners, buzz baits, rattle traps. I have been hugely successful the last 10 years with Berkley Power Bait soft plastics and most recently have had super results with Berkley Gulp baits. If you want to go a little higher end baits, I suggest Rapala's husky jerks, $7-12 each, I personally have a problem paying more than $10 for a lure except a nice Musky bait, I'm sure if I fished more saltwater there would be more. I have rarely used live bait for bass fishing, but it can be effective. If you are going to use live bait and don't want to hook a fish, I suggest hooking the bluegill through the bottom then top lip and letting them swim freely, no different than catching one in the mouth and I doubt would hurt the fish much, plus bass strike the head more often than not. I think there may even be a hook designed where you can put a rubber band or something from the eye to the barb to hold the fish/live bait on.
I'll definitely check those out.

In the end, I think I'm just thinking into it too much, using live bait and all. After all, when I catch a bluegill, it was essentially trying to kill whatever it was going after. Plus, it's kind of "going back into the community" when it's fished with.

I'm going back tomorrow, so I'll definitely head to the shop and see what they have.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #131 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

6 lbs 4 oz WV largemouth bass
My biggest largemouth
I had no clue this thread exisited
In general not a huge fish BUT for WV its a MONSTER!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #132 (permalink)

40 lb wahoo i caught in hondorus

Ik this isnt really big on here but this is pretty big for in PA 22 1/2
Collinscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #133 (permalink)

Nice stuff, guys! You catch that wahoo of the peir, Collin? That water looks beautiful. Much clearer than the mucky Long Island Sound haha.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice stuff, guys! You catch that wahoo of the peir, Collin?
Nah that was trolling
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #135 (permalink)

Ran across this thread and thought I would post a pic of the 'Big Eye' my buddy caught out at the 'Tails' (3 Hr. south of Newport RI) last weekend.

This beauty of a Yellow Fin Tuna weighed in at 248 lbs. and took a little over an hour to finally get on board!! The water has been pretty warm (75 degrees) out at Cox Ledge and there have been numerous Tuna in the 60-125 lb. range caught over the last few weeks.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:

and

I live line small bluegills and have hooked up with many 8+ pound bass...I never heard of anyone killing them after they get then and then throwing them out. Seems to defeat the purpose. If the bass arent around than I just unhook the bluegill and let it go so I dont waste the fish by killing them instantly.
Quote:
That sounds awesome, wish I could salt water fish more often. Only been a few times. I think grabbing the leader is a caught fish by all accounts though?
Yes but I would have loved a picture with that bad boy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
6 lbs 4 oz WV largemouth bass
My biggest largemouth
I had no clue this thread exisited
In general not a huge fish BUT for WV its a MONSTER!!!!
Thats a monster for Long Island NY as well! Sweet fish man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinscards View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Ran across this thread and thought I would post a pic of the 'Big Eye' my buddy caught out at the 'Tails' (3 Hr. south of Newport RI) last weekend.

This beauty of a Yellow Fin Tuna weighed in at 248 lbs. and took a little over an hour to finally get on board!! The water has been pretty warm (75 degrees) out at Cox Ledge and there have been numerous Tuna in the 60-125 lb. range caught over the last few weeks.
That fight must have been insane...what did you do with it? I would imagine thats a TON of meat to feed only you and your buddies family
Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
!!,
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
I live line small bluegills and have hooked up with many 8+ pound bass...I never heard of anyone killing them after they get then and then throwing them out. Seems to defeat the purpose. If the bass arent around than I just unhook the bluegill and let it go so I dont waste the fish by killing them instantly.

Yes but I would have loved a picture with that bad boy!

Thats a monster for Long Island NY as well! Sweet fish man!

Nice!

That fight must have been insane...what did you do with it? I would imagine thats a TON of meat to feed only you and your buddies family

Sold about 80 lbs. to a restaurant at the marina in Newport (had a fresh yellow fin tuna special that night , and let's just say there were a lot of people eating Tuna at the marina that weekend!! Typically give it too the folks who work at the marina, fellow boaters and we had a crew of 6 that took plenty of fresh tuna home!!

Last edited by TASS; 09-05-2013 at 08:58 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Sold about 80 lbs. to a restaurant at the marina in Newport (had a fresh yellow fin tuna special that night , and let's just say there were a lot of people eating Tuna at the marina that weekend!! Typically give it too the folks who work at the marina, fellow boaters and we had a crew of 6 that took plenty of fresh tuna home!!
Thats awesome. How much do you get from selling??? Very curious.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats awesome. How much do you get from selling??? Very curious.
Same here, seen prices for bluefin tuna go for crazy amounts and even though yellowfin isn't as prized, it's still used as sushi in Japanese cuisine and still quite pricy
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
Same here, seen prices for bluefin tuna go for crazy amounts and even though yellowfin isn't as prized, it's still used as sushi in Japanese cuisine and still quite pricy
Yellowfin' Tuna is a great grilling fish IMO, but yes the Bluefin is the choice for Sushi, as it is has a high fat content.

You will get 'wholesale' about $10-$15 per pound on the depending on the overall color, the freshness is also key getting it caught and sold within 4-6 hours (important to put right on ice after caught). If you bring your catch to the Long Island docks both the blue & yellow sells to Japanese buyers from NYC (the sushi guys for $12-$15 lb. easily)

The Tuna in the pic was sold to a restaurant we frequent and sold for around $9.00 pound, the meat was beautiful and had very good color! They ran a special that night in Newport RI, and sold out (80 lbs.) in a little over 3 hours!

Talked to a few guy's who were out this week and the Yellow bite was pretty decent for 60-100 lbs. on Tue. and Wed. (Cox Ledge/Canyon)

It has been somewhat encouraging here in the Northeast as the Tuna have been coming back based on new regulations for Commercial ect., still no where near where it was 15-20 years ago unfortunately! as you need to go out much further to find the keepers!!

Just got a call a few minutes ago and the boy's are heading out tonight to the Canyon for some trolling as the wind conditions look good and the boat show comes to Newport so the boat has to be relocated to Point Judith for a few day's so they might as well go fishing!!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #142 (permalink)

Nothing super special but caught this 11lber tonight (Just got home actually) Only fish I caught from 10pm To 1am Had missed bites but over all a fun night of fishing.
A friends girlfriend was out there to take this Girl picture of a carp haha

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #143 (permalink)

Cool thread never been in this section but wanted to see if there was a breaking bad thread lol. Here's some nice ones from the past few years. I'm in South Jersey were big fish are far and few between for the most part (aside from the ocean for strikers but don't really fish there)

38lb

6lb+

6.5lb

6lb

5lb

JoeD617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #144 (permalink)

Those are some big ass striper bass!!

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinscards View Post

Ik this isnt really big on here but this is pretty big for in PA 22 1/2

not trying to be mean but i don't see how that wahoo is 40lb
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver1080 View Post
not trying to be mean but i don't see how that wahoo is 40lb
We weight it right when i caught it
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #147 (permalink)

Sweet Wahoo and Yella Fin!
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #148 (permalink)

Some eye candy

This was in a Tropical Storm

Always looking for ROMLBs of prospects
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #149 (permalink)

Great pics guys...keep em' coming.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #150 (permalink)

Nice thread so far yall! Got the chance to go out on Boston Harbor again today for this annual charter we have been doing. Striped bass. 6 hours. Started off VERY slow, as in no hits during the first 3 hours. Then one or two came, then it really heated up in the last hour. Was a blast. Caught 7 nice stripers all in all. Yours truly (on the left, red shorts) caught the biggest, of course (). These things really put up a great fight, which is really the best part about it - the fight!