Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to coaltowncards
Default A random act of kindness

With all the hoopla with new ebay rules and regulations in the buyers favor and dealing with non payers and just plain JO's I was shocked when I got this e-mail.... First let me bring you up to speed. I sold all my commons with a few #ed and inserts lotted up by teams allowing worldwide shipping expecting them to sell in the states. Two 500+ lots sold to buyers in the UK and Germany. I grossly underestimated the shipping cost overseas. Sold a Seahawks lot to a buyer in the UK with $19.99 S&h only to find it cost $37.00 to get it to them. I sucked it up, no big deal. After the item was received I got this...

Dear coaltowncards,

hi i have received the box of cards today...im very happy about the cards they are in superb condition ...ive bought boxes of seahawks cards before and got hundreads of duplicates ...the cards you sent me are great cards ..and you lost out on postage i would like to send you a payment to cover your postage if thats ok..if you ever get any more seahawks cards ...i would buy them from you ..thank you again ..best regards...alan

After I picked myself up off the floor I read the next message....

Dear coaltowncards,

hi again i have sent you $30 hope this helps towards the postage you lost out on ..for this box of seahaks cards...thanks again ..best regards...alan

It took a little longer to regain consciousness this time.

I wish all buyers and sellers were this righteous. I'm not sure what the opposite of the blocked bidders list is but this buyer tops that list
coaltowncards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

so for every 10,000 bad one there is one goog one... maybe ebay is turning around....lol
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think I know that guy, how many Seahawks fans can there be in Germany.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very cool. Considering how many d-bags there are on eBay, a story like this reaffirms my faith in humanity.
darthclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthclem View Post
Considering how many d-bags there are on eBay, a story like this reaffirms my faith in humanity.
At the risk of sounding like a nit, I hope your satisfaction with the state of humanity isn't seriously based on eBay transactions, but I totally get your point.

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here, too.
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek55 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a nit, I hope your satisfaction with the state of humanity isn't seriously based on eBay transactions, but I totally get your point.

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here, too.
If I based my perception of the state of humanity on eBay, I'd just go move to a desert island. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

LOL! That's a good line... I can think of some far worse places in the eastern regions of the world (and I speak from experience on that), but again, point well taken.

For the most part, eBay has been a great experience. I was recently scammed for a little under $100, and it bothered me a lot... not about the money, but because I would never think to take advantage of someone like that. I was very very fortunate to have invested heavily in high end 1998 and 1999 products like SP Authentic and SPX in both football and basketball... I can't say anything else without sounding like I'm bragging, so I'll only mention one relevent transaction that helps me feel much better about my eBay experience when something bad happens. I bought a case of 1999 SPX football when it first came out, and in the very last box, maybe the second to last pack I pulled a Tim Couch auto rookie /500. If you don't remember him, it's for good reason... he was the number one pick that year from Kentucky who went busto almost immediately. Anyway, I sent it off to BGS (which was just starting out at the time) and it came back 9.5... first one to get gem mint, and the only 9.5 I had from that set for some reason. It sold for three times more than I paid for the case, and the guy who bought it, after receiving it, chastised me for letting it go so "cheap". I've sold maybe twenty cards that went for more than that one in my life, but that sale will always be my favorite for both saving me from that horrible case (6x Joe Germaine auto rookies, 3x Shaun King auto rookie redemptions that eventually ended up being good, but the point is beyond-bad collation) and for what the buyer said afterwards.

The only reason I mention the story is to acknowledge what a double-edged sword eBay has become... in the beginning, it was always a blessing considering how much money you could make with all that exposure. Although it's lost it's luster significantly in my eyes, all I have to do is think about that one Cleveland Brown fan who singlehandedly made eBay a worthwhile experience for good.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a situation with eBay/PayPal right now. I had an Xbox 360 game up for sale. A woman with a feedback of 6 (mine is 379 @ 99.7% positive) bought it with Buy-it-now on 2/12 and sent me $29 via PayPal. I shipped the game the next day via US Priority Mail. On the 14th, I get a message from PayPal telling me that the charges are being reversed because they believe this is a fraudulent transaction. The buyer has subsequently left me positive feedback.

I called PayPal and was told that because I didn't use delivery confirmation, I am not covered under their seller protection plan. I don't get it -- I was paid, I shipped, the money was taken away from me, positive feedback was left for me and now PayPal is saying I'm out $29 because of the buyer claim against me. Meanwhile, the buyer is not responding to my emails asking her to resolve this.

Granted, $29 isn't going to change my lifestyle, but the principle of it all has me P.O.ed.

Apologies to the original poster for my thread-jacking.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthclem View Post
Apologies to the original poster for my thread-jacking.
Oh yeah... my apologies as well, lol. I'm new to forums of any kind and I tend to get sidetracked frequently...