Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #26 (permalink)

Phranc (look that one up) - circa 1987 - still feel ashamed for being seen there...
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

Tough call, but I'm going with Motley Crue in 2005. Throughout almost the entire show Vince Neil mumbled his way through their hits. It was almost like he forgot every song and just kept up by shoving the mic as close to his face as he could and groaning to the rhythm. It was pathetic. The only way by buddy and I could tell what song they were playing was to listen for Mick Mars' guitar riffs. Mick Mars sounded great but couldn't move from his seated position because he was in severe pain from the scoliosis he's been suffering from. Like I said, he sounded great but was wooden the whole time since he couldn't move. There was a ton of explosions, fire, midgets running around senselessly and women in cages - all great except that it gave you the impression that Crue knew that the four of them alone wouldn't make for a great show so they had to add a bunch of sideshow pyrotechnics and circus stunts to make the performance more lively and entertaining. It wasn't. It just looked like that much more of a train wreck. '

At one point in the show, Tommy Lee gets up and starts filming the audience inside Arco Arena in Sacramento. Tommy being Tommy, he asks the crowd of women to show their breasts to him so he can admire them later. There's just one major problem here. The "female" population, and I use that term loosely, that filled the Arco Arena was your garden variety white trash with a bunch of 50+ year-old women who's breasts were closer the the Arco floor than Tommy's legendary one-eyed snake. I'm not sure what was more traumatizing - seeing the exposed breasts of Sacramento's finest or watching two midgets simulate oral sex on each other while nearly being consumed by flames.

Infamous metal lead singer Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. was once quoted as saying, "If we wrote better songs, I wouldn't have to do stuff like this!" in reference to using pyrotechnics and stage antics. I think this quote shouldn't have to apply to Crue since they have a huge catalogue of hits but it probably speaks more to how lazy the band has gotten over the years. When your fans pay $50 a ticket to see you, it's a good bet you shouldn't mail it in but Crue seem content on doing that every night. After reading Vince Neil's autobiography, "Tattoos & Tequila", I got the sense that he doesn't care much for his fans or for Crue. He seems very self-absorbed and immature which, after seeing him play live, doesn't surprise me a bit.
Current Most Wanted Non 1/1 Cards: 1999 Playoff Contenders SSD Speed Terrence Wilkins Auto, 2003 Leaf Limited Gold Monikers Dallas Clark Auto, 2005 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Emerald Auto Marlin Jackson
88horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

Beastie Boys @ the Rose Garden. I don't know if they didn't do a sound check before, or the accoustics are just bad in the 200 level when they play in the round. The only way we could even tell what song they were playing was IF we could make out the bass line. Everything else was just noise.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #29 (permalink)

Sum 41, by far.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
Sum 41, by far.
Did you go into that one expecting the experience to go down any differently?
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #31 (permalink)

stone temple pilots/meatpuppets
offspring (opening acts were good though)
goo goo dolls - drunk and on coke - they sucked and the singer fell off the stage
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

Foo Fighters was the worst by far. They had... Elephants something opening for them and I don't know if that dude was on meth but all he did was fall over and flop around the stage. Foo Fighters wasn't bad, I just don't know much of their music and we left after the fifth song of so. Nickelback, My Darkest Day, and Bush rocked at the next concert I went to. I have never even heard a song by Bush or My Darkest Day and they still rocked.

Next on my list is Linkin Park.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
Sum 41, by far.
Oddly enough, Sum 41 opened for Crue in that aforementioned concert I posted about. Yeah, they were pretty bad.
Current Most Wanted Non 1/1 Cards: 1999 Playoff Contenders SSD Speed Terrence Wilkins Auto, 2003 Leaf Limited Gold Monikers Dallas Clark Auto, 2005 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Emerald Auto Marlin Jackson
88horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Any crap concert....I mean rap concert my wife and daughter have made me go to. From 50 cents to TI and Florida. They all SUCKED!!!
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Did you go into that one expecting the experience to go down any differently?
I was a huge fan of theirs back in Grade 9. I thought it was going to be an amazing experience. It was a private concert, and I had won tickets.

They sucked, the singer was wasted and awful.

The opening band, another pop-punk-rock-ish band was a lot better and I actually became friends with them over the years. They have broken up since.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #36 (permalink)

Fall Out Boy
1. I don't like Fall Out Boy
2. Lots of annoying teenage girls
3. Spent too much time with videos on the screen. Who goes to a live concert and wants to watch videos?
dbackschamp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #37 (permalink)

I say this in good fun...but your post made me laugh a bit.

50 Cents. Nice. Drop the 's', though

Florida. I thought you meant TI in Florida, then I realized you meant Flo Rida.

Again, just poking good fun, that's all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
Any crap concert....I mean rap concert my wife and daughter have made me go to. From 50 cents to TI and Florida. They all SUCKED!!!
TrueNE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

2002 Rolling Rock Town Fair

Most of it was great except for Outkast ans Tommy Lee

Outkast was pretty crappy, but Tommy Lee was horrible. Most people were more into throwing mud at each other rather than listening and watching Tommy Lee. If I remember right, I think he was getting pissed because he was trying to get the crowd into it, but people were not into it.
Da_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post
Foo Fighters was the worst by far. They had... Elephants something opening for them and I don't know if that dude was on meth but all he did was fall over and flop around the stage. Foo Fighters wasn't bad, I just don't know much of their music and we left after the fifth song of so. Nickelback, My Darkest Day, and Bush rocked at the next concert I went to. I have never even heard a song by Bush or My Darkest Day and they still rocked.

Yikes, why did you even bother going? Sounds like you didn't care much going into it.

Linkin Park's recorded music is terrible, I can't imagine they're any better live.

Another bad show I went to was Def Leppard maybe 5 years ago? I loved that band as a kid so I was really excited about seeing them after so long. They sounded like garbage, the guitars were out of tune or something, nothing sounded right.

Lamb of God was really bad at an Ozzfest I went to. I don't know what was going on but the band was not in sync at all. I don't know if the drummer was doped up or what, but it just sounded like a mangled mess. Their songs are pretty precise, but all that went out the window at that show.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post

So you thought Nickelback was better than the Foo Fighters? Oy vey.

Linkin Park is terrible live so you'll probably love them.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
So you thought Nickelback was better than the Foo Fighters? Oy vey.
I have to tell you, I got free tix to see 3 Doors Down/Nickelback. I dig 3 Doors Down (til that show) so it was worth a trip. Nickelback opened up and I expected nothing special from them as their music is regurgitated pop garbage. Holy crap, I was NOT expecting them to be as awesome as they were! They came out kicking ass, there were firebombs going off, it was crazy! In the middle of the set they busted into Cowboys From Hell. I was caught totally off guard and was cheering them on by the end of their set. I still don't like them, but they were pretty amazing live.

Then 3 Doors Down came on and we left early. What a snoozefest. I like their first two albums, but they chose to just play nothing but ballads. Nickelback owned them that night.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

3rd eye blind, around 1998-99, lead singer was sloshed and off key the whole time. Only show I've ever walked out of.

Also, saw matchbox 20 get booed off the stage when they were opening for a local band - they really were awful.

I met Ron Thomas afterwords, he was mingling with a bunch of teenage groupies lol....asked him to go backstage and get a friend of mine in one of the other bands playing that night, and he obliged! Nice guy, I had no idea who he was at the time, about 2-3 mos later they blew up on MTV
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #43 (permalink)

A local charity Billy Wagner owns (pitcher played with astros, mets,braves, phillies) runs a concert series every year (country music) starts at 12 pm, lasts til 12am. First one they had pretty cool and I dislike country music. But the second one was Jake Owen, and Eric Church. Well it brings in tons of people from different states. Jake Owen just finished up singing and went off stage, then a storm was apparently coming through they said "we need everyone to evacuate the stadium" everyone thought they were kidding stayed then they said "no seriously you need to leave now" we parked about 2 miles away omg wind picked up out of no where I got hit with tons of dirt and dust. Finally get to the car and drive away from the madness at the stadium. They announce on the raido to come back the show is gonig to start back up. Well we get there and this is what we heard on the radio 2 minutes later "Concert cancelled everyone needs to go home there is a bad storm coming through" well we all went home and it hits. Lost power for nearly a week. They rescheduled the concert went to it and rumor says after Eric Church was done he said "get me out of here away from these rednecks" well I would have said the same thing lol.
Journey to my first case: $85/$800
Truemountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #44 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Phranc (look that one up) - circa 1987 - still feel ashamed for being seen there...
Phranc opened for a Violent Femmes show I saw. She had this shiny thing on her guitar and it reflected the spotlight and kept blinding everyone in the audience. It was a small place, maybe 400 seats and people were getting up and moving to stand by the bar. It was fine because the Femmes were great but we couldn't wait for Phranc to finish up.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Puddle of Mudd, singer couldnt make it thru a couple songs. Was so wasted, just kept crowd surfing and making up songs like "Toledo is Neato" then the show ended and he got arrested
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #46 (permalink)

Smashing Pumpkins around 2006-7. Always liked their music and was shocked at how bad they sounded live.
carlo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #47 (permalink)

I don't go to many concerts at all - even passed up a few that I really regret, but the worst band had to be whoever opened for Bob Seger in the KFC Yum! Brand Arena (worst venue name ever!) a few years ago. Seger wasn't great either, but I'm not a fan of his music. Saving grace: We had a VIP Suite

Worst concert experience had to the .38 Special / REO Speedwagon / Styx at Freedom Hall, but only because we had about half a dozen drunken super-macho marines sitting behind us. Beer was everywhere by the end of the night... the seats, jacket, girlfriend's purse... but the bands were amazing.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #48 (permalink)

I saw Saigon Kick open for Extreme in the spring of "93. Nuno Betancourt was the only saving grace of an awfu show.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

.38 Special in the 1980's.

They just stood there and played with terrible feedback squelches every 30 seconds or so. The audience was pissed!
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
My wife likes many genres, including pop/R&B. I stand in most of the time though just to be able to hang with her. She got Rihanna tickets; I wasn't thrilled, but again, whatever. Take one for the team.

We were returning from overseas the day of the concert and actually decided not to go (no big loss, they were cheap tickets). Good thing. Heard the opening act (A$AP Rocky....had NO interest in seeing that dude in the first place, but that's beside the point) didn't even go to the concert, then that POS Rihanna didn't go on until 3 hours late.

You sh*tting me? Kids/fans/families pay out the ass to see you and you go on 3 hours late? What a f'n b.i.t.c.h.

So glad we didn't go...thank god.

Then the other day I heard a dude on the radio joking about her being 2 hours late to a radio interview; said something like "oh, Rihanna is 2 hours late for every concert." So, in other words, that b**** makes ZERO effort to EVER be on time for her concerts.

Man, that a loser that woman is....that kind of nerve really pisses me off.
I would've liked to have gone to that concert just for A$AP Rocky, he's one of my favorite new rappers out. He's got some great stuff.

I had two friends go to her show in Miami and they enjoyed it a lot
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote