Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Yeah it matters. I pay to see the band (and it takes a band I REALLY like for me to shell out $50+), it's nice to watch them actually performing.

Maynard hasn't always been like that, and you're not the first person to argue that point with me. I've seen footage of him front and center so he can do it, I guess it's just easier for him to hide now.

This was the set from my show, I don't know if they did the same every night: Tool Concert Setlist at First Union Center, Philadelphia on September 27, 2001 | setlist.fm

^^^^ That's a great site for setlists, by the way.
I've only been to 2 concerts in my life, and that exact show was one of them (I was living in PA at the time). Things I remember:

There was a weird atmosphere at the arena - September 11 had happened about 2 weeks before, so there were a bunch of Philly cops hanging around the parking lot. Apparently at this point people still thought terrorists were planning to attack every large gathering ever.

Most of the crowd seemed to be high-school students. The smell of low-grade pot filled the arena about 8 seconds after the lights went out. And this paragraph largely explains why I don't go to concerts much.

The opening act was awful, and had turned the volume up incredibly loud. I had to cover my ears for most of their set because permanent hearing damage was a legitimate concern. Thankfully, the Tool roadies turned it down to a semi-reasonable level before the band came out.

Maynard was on stage but the lights were never on him and I think he was standing behind some kind of partition or something - took me a very long time to spot him. Also, I'm pretty sure he was wearing a speedo and nothing else, so maybe it's a good thing you didn't see him .

I actually liked the set list, though. At the end, Maynard came out and gave a little speech, something along the lines of "whatever this concert made you feel, good or bad, go out and use it to create something positive".
iwantedapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #77 (permalink)

I didn't enjoy the Rascal Flatts concert I went to back in 2005. The tickets were too expensive (luckily I didn't pay for them) and their show only lasted about an hour.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #78 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Quote:
I have to tell you, I got free tix to see 3 Doors Down/Nickelback. I dig 3 Doors Down (til that show) so it was worth a trip. Nickelback opened up and I expected nothing special from them as their music is regurgitated pop garbage. Holy crap, I was NOT expecting them to be as awesome as they were! They came out kicking ass, there were firebombs going off, it was crazy! In the middle of the set they busted into Cowboys From Hell. I was caught totally off guard and was cheering them on by the end of their set. I still don't like them, but they were pretty amazing live.

Then 3 Doors Down came on and we left early. What a snoozefest. I like their first two albums, but they chose to just play nothing but ballads. Nickelback owned them that night.
I saw this tour too and reacted the same way... N/B destroyed it and 3DD made me wanna puke

I've been to alot of bad concerts but only walked out on one and that was Scorpions. Alice Cooper opened and blew me away and the Scorps just stood there. So boring
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #79 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantedapeanut View Post
I've only been to 2 concerts in my life, and that exact show was one of them (I was living in PA at the time). Things I remember:

There was a weird atmosphere at the arena - September 11 had happened about 2 weeks before, so there were a bunch of Philly cops hanging around the parking lot. Apparently at this point people still thought terrorists were planning to attack every large gathering ever.

Most of the crowd seemed to be high-school students. The smell of low-grade pot filled the arena about 8 seconds after the lights went out. And this paragraph largely explains why I don't go to concerts much.

The opening act was awful, and had turned the volume up incredibly loud. I had to cover my ears for most of their set because permanent hearing damage was a legitimate concern. Thankfully, the Tool roadies turned it down to a semi-reasonable level before the band came out.

Maynard was on stage but the lights were never on him and I think he was standing behind some kind of partition or something - took me a very long time to spot him. Also, I'm pretty sure he was wearing a speedo and nothing else, so maybe it's a good thing you didn't see him .

I actually liked the set list, though. At the end, Maynard came out and gave a little speech, something along the lines of "whatever this concert made you feel, good or bad, go out and use it to create something positive".
I think that was the Lateralus tour with Messugah. Saw that in Toledo
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #80 (permalink)

I saw Bob Dylan a few years ago and it was a let down. Still nice to see him live though.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #81 (permalink)

The worst band I have ever heard live was Buckcherry. Almost put me to sleep. And they played longer than every other band on the setlist. The concert as a whole was good though.
lee7786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #82 (permalink)

Cheap Trick with a bad sound system a few years back...my ears were messed up the whole next day.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
I think that was the Lateralus tour with Messugah. Saw that in Toledo
Meshuggah wasn't the opener, it was some band I never heard of. I remember one of the guys had a big afro. And iwantedapeanut was right - they were TERRIBLE! What's funny (sad?) was when their set was over, I told him Tool purposely picked a REALLY awful band to open because they sucked live. Little did I know...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantedapeanut View Post
This reminded me of a show that I wouldn't consider bad, just too effin' loud! High on Fire at some church basement in Philly. I'm not kidding, it was literally a basement - if I jumped I could have touched the ceiling. We were right up front and I thought my ears were bleeding. After we couldn't take it any more we moved to the back and it was still insanely loud. My ears rang for nearly a week after that, I was scared.

Filter was another band who was way too loud. Again, I had to leave my prime spot up front because I just could not take the volume.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
Easy. John Mayer and Maroon 5 circa 2007-8. Maroon 5 was awful. I've heard 6th grade bands that were in sync and had more rhythm. Literally everyone in the band was on a different key and cadence. To compound that problem the guitarist clearly missed notes routinely. The bassist looked lost. The drummer didn't seem to notice the calamity. And Levine...his voice was cracking throughout the show. Awful. Absolutely awful. It could not be more clear that some record company threw those guys together and let the studio record them and fix the "mistakes".

Edit: looked it up...it was 2004.

I actually took my girlfriend to Maroon 5 concert for Valentines Day this past year and they were awesome. They were lively, hit everything perfect, and kept the crowd involved. The place was absolutely nuts. I couldn't find one bad thing to complain about from that concert except for the lead singer from Neon Trees was trying to act like Michael Jackson on the stage.
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/hotshotter/Sports%20Cards/
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #86 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Meshuggah wasn't the opener, it was some band I never heard of. I remember one of the guys had a big afro. And iwantedapeanut was right - they were TERRIBLE! What's funny (sad?) was when their set was over, I told him Tool purposely picked a REALLY awful band to open because they sucked live. Little did I know...
Fantoma was then. I actually caught the 2002 tour

Intro/feedback
Sober
- Ions
The Grudge
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Schism
Parabol
Parabola
THIRD EYE
--------------
Intermission
--------------
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Lateralus
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Fantomas was then.
Holy crap, you're right! I didn't realize who they were at the time.

I love Mike Patton and Faith No More. This saddens me.