Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Card Singles

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Baltimore ( home of the 6 x MISL Champion Baltimore Blast )
Default trying to quit smoking

i bought zerosmoke a magnet you stick in your left ear for a few hrs a day
well it worked for my wife she has not smoked in over 2 weeks & as for me
i went from 3 packs a day down to less then 1/2 pack

i am going nutz though any one else quit if so what worked best for you
right now i will try anything to make sure i quit for good this time

Last edited by cardshopmd; 02-19-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typo
cardshopmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Chantix, not so great side effects but it works. I haven't smoked in 6 weeks and I don't want to.
ssc8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Best I can do is wish you the best. I smoked all the years I tended bar and hung out in that environment. Quit many times before it took. I watched my grandfather die of lung cancer after 50 years of smoking. Neither you nor eye want to go that way.

Again--I wish you the best. You can do it!!!!

fidrych
shadetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

Good luck to those trying to quit.

There are definitely more than just health benefits that can come from the change. As a collector, opening a bubble mailer and being choked by the odor of smoke will keep me from ever purchasing another item from that seller.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Dad passed away from throat cancer 3 years ago. He had quadrouple bypass surgery in 1989 and while that didn't kill him it didn't stop him from smoking either. I remember him telling the doctor that he had been smoking since he was around 10 years old and that he would cut back but he couldn't stop completely. He picked up the habit while working with the older guys on my Grandpa's farm. My Dad was a big guy and it only took less than 3 weeks for him to succumb after it was detected. By that time it was 4th stage and at his age (70), with all of his health problems, he had no shot of beating it.
They put him through radition AND kimo and all it did was severly burn his tongue and make him spit up blood clots all day long. I finally had to o.k. them to stop the treatments because all it was doing was making him suffer even more. Aside from burying him, that was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

Everyone in my family smoked except me and I married a smoker BUT I got her to quit 2 years ago. She only smoked a few cigarettes a day so it wasn't as hard for her as it would be for someone who smokes a pack or more a day.
Good luck to you. If you don't quit for yourself than do it for your family as its just as hard on them watching you suffer later on in life.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

My dad smoked for probably 55 years, mainly Camel non-filters. They're enough to make you dizzy. Although he never had cancer, I'm sure smoking contributed to the stroke that killed him in 1998.
I quit smoking cold turkey on New Year's Day, 1999 and haven't touched a cigarette since. I found that cold turkey was the best way for me. I had previously tried nicotine patches, hypnosis, etc.
Some of the things you have to do no matter what is ultimately successful for you is change some of the patterns in your life. I stopped going to bars, that was a trigger for me. It's not as much of a problem these days as many places are non-smoking.
Good luck to you. I hear smoking as more difficult to quit than heroin or cocaine. I understand the addiction of nicotine, believe me.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I watched my grandfather die when I was 7. He started when he was 11. I asked him about a year before he died, if he would ever stop smoking. He didn't say a word and my grandmother laughed! He just loved it too much.
Even though I was young, I still had some sort of understanding in why he died, which is partly why I have never touched a cigarette. My father and I do not get along very well, but I have the upmost respect for him because once he found out that he was going to be a dad, he gave it up and never looked back.
I don't even know what it would be like to give up something like that, it must be hard! I wish you all the luck in the world, you are definitely doing a good thing
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bam I give you a hearty pat for doing what you did with your Dad. I know how difficult it was for you to do. Unfortuneately all of the sad and difficult stories in the world cannot make anyone stop smoking unless they want to. It is proven though that the more times one tries to stop the more successful that person will eventually be. So Cards if you do not do it now ( I hope you do ), try it again another time.
I smoked for 32 years starting at age 10 and smoked 3 packs a day. It has been 20 years this past January since I have smoked and I HATE the smell of it. I tried MANY times before I finally did it. Finally this one day I went for a cigarette and had to open a pack. I thought "what the hell are you doing" and I did not open the pack. Every time in the past I gave it up and I wanted a smoke I went nuts because I did not have any cigarettes which made me want it more. I would go buy some. This time I kept this one pack and a lighter with me ALL the time and when I wanted to smoke I would pick up the pack, smell it and think "you are one puff away from a pack" and then I would put the pack down.
It was not easy. I did not have even one alcoholic beverage for one year, I got up immediately after eating and did anything at all because the urge to smoke does indeed go away after about 20 minutes. I did not have coffee for about 3 or 4 months ( that was the toughest but it taught me to eat breakfast ) and anytime I wanted a smoke I would get up and do something and whenever I could I would go for a walk. I also would not let anyone smoke in my home...some people didn't like that but they adjusted.
I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck. I never thought I could do it. I believe anyone can now. Just don't be too hard on yorself.
sammyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cold Turkey ... with the patch
Been 3 1/2 months without a single smoke... (although the mental cravings are still there)
although I did have a Cuban a couple weeks back

My tactic... telling everybody and anybody I was going to quit on 11/03/07...even people that dont give a crap....
I figured that way, if I didnt quit....I would look weak and foolish......counting on my pride being stronger than my cravings......
...and I havent been to bar since I quit... THAT would be hard......

good luck to all, it aint easy....but it can be done....

Last edited by merkin; 02-20-2008 at 03:08 AM.
merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

me & my wife are both doing it so we can support each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
My Dad passed away from throat cancer 3 years ago. He had quadrouple bypass surgery in 1989 and while that didn't kill him it didn't stop him from smoking either. I remember him telling the doctor that he had been smoking since he was around 10 years old and that he would cut back but he couldn't stop completely. He picked up the habit while working with the older guys on my Grandpa's farm. My Dad was a big guy and it only took less than 3 weeks for him to succumb after it was detected. By that time it was 4th stage and at his age (70), with all of his health problems, he had no shot of beating it.
They put him through radition AND kimo and all it did was severly burn his tongue and make him spit up blood clots all day long. I finally had to o.k. them to stop the treatments because all it was doing was making him suffer even more. Aside from burying him, that was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

Everyone in my family smoked except me and I married a smoker BUT I got her to quit 2 years ago. She only smoked a few cigarettes a day so it wasn't as hard for her as it would be for someone who smokes a pack or more a day.
Good luck to you. If you don't quit for yourself than do it for your family as its just as hard on them watching you suffer later on in life.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

well to be honest with you i dont drink & i have never done drugs , i cant stand going to bars so i should be able to kick the habit quick
glad to see you have quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooleman View Post
My dad smoked for probably 55 years, mainly Camel non-filters. They're enough to make you dizzy. Although he never had cancer, I'm sure smoking contributed to the stroke that killed him in 1998.
I quit smoking cold turkey on New Year's Day, 1999 and haven't touched a cigarette since. I found that cold turkey was the best way for me. I had previously tried nicotine patches, hypnosis, etc.
Some of the things you have to do no matter what is ultimately successful for you is change some of the patterns in your life. I stopped going to bars, that was a trigger for me. It's not as much of a problem these days as many places are non-smoking.
Good luck to you. I hear smoking as more difficult to quit than heroin or cocaine. I understand the addiction of nicotine, believe me.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshopmd View Post
i am going nutz though any one else quit if so what worked best for you
right now i will try anything to make sure i quit for good this time
My dad started smoking in his teens. He died of cancer at age 54. I was 30 at the time. My dad never had a chance to meet his grandkids.

I started dipping Kodiak in my teens. Even after my dad died I continued to dip. Sometime between when my son was 1 and 2, he pointed at the cup I was spitting chew juice into and asked me what I was doing. I realized at that moment, if I died at the same age as my dad, I wouldn't see either of my kids graduate from high school.

I spit out my dip. I flushed my tin down the toilet. I threw my spitter cup in the garbage and never looked back. That was close to 8 years ago.

If you can't quit for yourself, quit for the people you love. Draw your strength from them.
darthclem is offline   Reply With Quote