Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default What to do in Chicago...

OK - so this is a random question as I've been to Chicago like a hundred times in my life - but the more I think about it the more I realize we really pretty much stayed to Michigan Ave or headed down to Wrigleyville - we've never really looked for much else to do. If we had bars we were good.

My wife and I are headed out for a quick long weekend and I've come to find out that aside from Michigan Ave I'm not really sure where to go.

We are staying on Michigan Ave, we'll have a car (with in and out valet access - but don't want to take the car too often if I can avoid), and at least one full day will be Michigan Ave.

That leaves us with about 2 full days where we will be looking for other things. Can be anything really - bars, food spots, tourist stuff, whatever...

Where should we go? What should we avoid? And if we go to a certain place (lets say a Cubs game for example - no clue if they are even in town that weekend) would you cab it or drive? Is there parking?

That's sort of my biggest question - I could google places to go I suppose - I'm just trying to "plan" where I need to drive, where I can safely walk, where I need to cab it (and then cab it home), etc...

I should add - Making things easy takes preference over cost. If there is an easier way to do something (driving, cab, train etc...), but it costs more, that's fine.

Last edited by asujbl; 07-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you are going to a Cubs game, try to take the Red Line if you can catch it from your location downtown. Driving from the Loop will be a quick trip, but parking will set you back $35 or more. The Red Line stops at Addison one block from Wrigley. Get there early either way, hit a bar or two and just enjoy the neighborhood.

As far as other things, Navy Pier is fun, the Shedd Aquarium is pretty good, even the Field Museum. I've done the Chicago River tour and its great! They take you up and down the river, explain the history of the area and a bunch of the old buildings along the way, then take you though the locks out to Lake Michigan for a bit. A nice way to spend a couple of hours in the city learning and seeing things you wouldn't normally see. Great photo ops.

Fun town, lots to do. Have a great time!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscogun View Post
If you are going to a Cubs game, try to take the Red Line if you can catch it from your location downtown. Driving from the Loop will be a quick trip, but parking will set you back $35 or more. The Red Line stops at Addison one block from Wrigley. Get there early either way, hit a bar or two and just enjoy the neighborhood.

As far as other things, Navy Pier is fun, the Shedd Aquarium is pretty good, even the Field Museum. I've done the Chicago River tour and its great! They take you up and down the river, explain the history of the area and a bunch of the old buildings along the way, then take you though the locks out to Lake Michigan for a bit. A nice way to spend a couple of hours in the city learning and seeing things you wouldn't normally see. Great photo ops.

Fun town, lots to do. Have a great time!
Appreciate it.

My wife was asking what I had planned and I realized that even though I've been there a ton of times it's always been focused around Michigan Ave. Haha.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Avoid gunfire and GTFO that dreadful city and never go back.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Greatest city on the planet
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Harold's Chicken Shack. Thank me later.
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
You're a gem and a half.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkcaden View Post
Harold's Chicken Shack. Thank me later.
Nice. I'm a big foodie so I'll definitely be looking for some good places to eat. I'm going to try to avoid the places I've been a million times already.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Nice. I'm a big foodie so I'll definitely be looking for some good places to eat. I'm going to try to avoid the places I've been a million times already.
I suggest going to the one at 636 S Wabash Ave, Chicago 60605 (by depaul university) then walking it off at Millenium Park which is a mile or so away.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Museum of Science and Industry is neat, also if you like Cuban food, try the 90 miles Cuban Cafe. The place has been on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and the food is awesome
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Art Institute of Chicago of also really dope (if youve never been). I am not all that into art, but it's nice to see a lot of legendary and famous paintings up close (Like American Gothic, Nighthawks, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte etc). It's also really big so you can get a few hours out of it.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Keep your gentrified ass in PA. You do not any idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrokepoet View Post
Greatest city on the planet
Certainly toward the top in the U.S.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Tourist stuff - Shedd Aquarium, Mag Mile

Food - Giordano's for pizza, Gene & Judes for hot dogs, and Portillos for beef.
My Sportscardalbum -> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jiggidy
jiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

You should have delayed your quick long weekend to 7/31 - 8/4!
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats View Post
You should have delayed your quick long weekend to 7/31 - 8/4!
Haha Chicago will cost plenty for the Magnificent Mile - I need another year to save before Cleveland next year.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Adam's Ribs near the Dearborn Street Station

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

My cousin has a restaurant in the Burbs a little bit out of the city in Schaumburg.

It's called Fratos, and has wings, burgers, pizza, etc.

If you have some extra time go check it out and you will thank me later.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
XL5

When you're doing Michigan Ave, head down Oak St. for addtional shopping for the wife. Then turn up Rush for some bars. I'm sure you know this already but Oak often gets overlooked.

If it's this weekend, the Cubs are out of town. If you can Scout Seats for the Sox/Braves game on Saturday, that's a great time. Get there early, have a nice meal and all you can drink, walk down the tunnel and hit your seats. Eat/drink all you want and enjoy the game. The Red Line is shut down, either get a livery or take the Green Line. Easy trip. (Green line or cab/livery, easy drive but lots of traffic)

If it's a different weekend and the Cubs are in town, yeah, it's an easy train ride (Red line or Brown to Red line). You can't go wrong, just follow the masses. EDIT: Or for a nice sight-seeing alternative, take the 151 bus from Michigan Ave through Lincoln Park. Get off at Belmont, take the 77 west to Sheffield, and walk to the game. Give yourself a few hours an hit bars along the way (start with Bridget McNeill's right there where you pick up the 77).

There are two big street fests this weekend. There are probably just as many any other weekend.
River North (cab, walk, or bus)
Lincoln Park (Red line or Brown line to Fullerton, or cab)
Live bands, food, lots of people.

For food, there are always the high-end Tru and Nomi, both right off the Mag mile. (Walk)

If you're getting pizza, go here (Lincoln Park location). Tourists don't go there but it's some of the best pizza in the city. (cab or drive)

The museums are great but really crowded in the summer. If you go, go really early or at the end of the day, like an hour before close. (walk, bus, or cab)

Get a 3-day CTA pass at any Walgreens and you don't have to worry fares on the trains/busses. Unlimited rides for 72 hours.

Last edited by XL5; 07-16-2013 at 01:44 PM.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Navy Pier is pretty good. You can also go to Sears Towers, (Forgot the new name).

Whatever you do don't get lost. Was there last month, and go lost on the El, for about an hour
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Crown and Anchor in Lincoln Park. Best steak and ribs around. Trust me.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
When you're doing Michigan Ave, head down Oak St. for addtional shopping for the wife. Then turn up Rush for some bars. I'm sure you know this already but Oak often gets overlooked.

If it's this weekend, the Cubs are out of town. If you can Scout Seats for the Sox/Braves game on Saturday, that's a great time. Get there early, have a nice meal and all you can drink, walk down the tunnel and hit your seats. Eat/drink all you want and enjoy the game. The Red Line is shut down, either get a livery or take the Green Line. Easy trip. (Green line or cab/livery, easy drive but lots of traffic)

If it's a different weekend and the Cubs are in town, yeah, it's an easy train ride (Red line or Brown to Red line). You can't go wrong, just follow the masses. EDIT: Or for a nice sight-seeing alternative, take the 151 bus from Michigan Ave through Lincoln Park. Get off at Belmont, take the 77 west to Sheffield, and walk to the game. Give yourself a few hours an hit bars along the way (start with Bridget McNeill's right there where you pick up the 77).

There are two big street fests this weekend. There are probably just as many any other weekend.
River North (cab, walk, or bus)
Lincoln Park (Red line or Brown line to Fullerton, or cab)
Live bands, food, lots of people.

For food, there are always the high-end Tru and Nomi, both right off the Mag mile. (Walk)

If you're getting pizza, go here (Lincoln Park location). Tourists don't go there but it's some of the best pizza in the city. (cab or drive)

The museums are great but really crowded in the summer. If you go, go really early or at the end of the day, like an hour before close. (walk, bus, or cab)

Get a 3-day CTA pass at any Walgreens and you don't have to worry fares on the trains/busses. Unlimited rides for 72 hours.
Lots of good info here. Appreciate it.

Unfortunately it looks like the Cubs are out of town when we are there. That sucks. Oh well.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

My wife and I always go to Joe's Stone Crab and RedHead Piano bar. Both are right off Michigan.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Place is a *#%^ whole

Awesome eats and attractions and burbs though
coyne81486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

i have been outside of wrigley. beleive there is a bar called goose island or some other fowl name. nice bar, yada yada.

there is a german beer hall there that serves BOOTS of beer and awesome food, was too drunk to remember the name.

also, i enjoyed a slaw-dog with everything, thing was burnt with a poppyseed roll and peppers, onions, relish.
well, my friend was drunk when he got up to order, i was next. lady asked him "watchu want!?" he was like uhh.... IMMEDIATELY she says "get to the back of the line!!!" so i just made it easy and got a slaw dog with everything. win.

there is a blues bar called, blues bar, i think. saw jim belushi and he autographed my friends hat because he just turned 21 that night.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote