Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,138
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default What to do in Chicago...

OK - so this is a random question as I've been to Chicago like a hundred times in my life - but the more I think about it the more I realize we really pretty much stayed to Michigan Ave or headed down to Wrigleyville - we've never really looked for much else to do. If we had bars we were good.

My wife and I are headed out for a quick long weekend and I've come to find out that aside from Michigan Ave I'm not really sure where to go.

We are staying on Michigan Ave, we'll have a car (with in and out valet access - but don't want to take the car too often if I can avoid), and at least one full day will be Michigan Ave.

That leaves us with about 2 full days where we will be looking for other things. Can be anything really - bars, food spots, tourist stuff, whatever...

Where should we go? What should we avoid? And if we go to a certain place (lets say a Cubs game for example - no clue if they are even in town that weekend) would you cab it or drive? Is there parking?

That's sort of my biggest question - I could google places to go I suppose - I'm just trying to "plan" where I need to drive, where I can safely walk, where I need to cab it (and then cab it home), etc...

I should add - Making things easy takes preference over cost. If there is an easier way to do something (driving, cab, train etc...), but it costs more, that's fine.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks

Last edited by asujbl; 07-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
briscogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,558
Default

If you are going to a Cubs game, try to take the Red Line if you can catch it from your location downtown. Driving from the Loop will be a quick trip, but parking will set you back $35 or more. The Red Line stops at Addison one block from Wrigley. Get there early either way, hit a bar or two and just enjoy the neighborhood.

As far as other things, Navy Pier is fun, the Shedd Aquarium is pretty good, even the Field Museum. I've done the Chicago River tour and its great! They take you up and down the river, explain the history of the area and a bunch of the old buildings along the way, then take you though the locks out to Lake Michigan for a bit. A nice way to spend a couple of hours in the city learning and seeing things you wouldn't normally see. Great photo ops.

Fun town, lots to do. Have a great time!
__________________
Collecting Autographs on 2014 Topps Pro Debut 95/220=43%
Steve Garvey Collector
briscogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,138
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscogun View Post
If you are going to a Cubs game, try to take the Red Line if you can catch it from your location downtown. Driving from the Loop will be a quick trip, but parking will set you back $35 or more. The Red Line stops at Addison one block from Wrigley. Get there early either way, hit a bar or two and just enjoy the neighborhood.

As far as other things, Navy Pier is fun, the Shedd Aquarium is pretty good, even the Field Museum. I've done the Chicago River tour and its great! They take you up and down the river, explain the history of the area and a bunch of the old buildings along the way, then take you though the locks out to Lake Michigan for a bit. A nice way to spend a couple of hours in the city learning and seeing things you wouldn't normally see. Great photo ops.

Fun town, lots to do. Have a great time!
Appreciate it.

My wife was asking what I had planned and I realized that even though I've been there a ton of times it's always been focused around Michigan Ave. Haha.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,260
Default

Avoid gunfire and GTFO that dreadful city and never go back.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
thebrokepoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kalamazoo / Paw Paw
Posts: 1,503
Default

Greatest city on the planet
__________________
TEAM CONNOR!! No Matter What
www.facebook.com/prayersforconnor
Like-Share-Pray-Positive Thoughts Only
"Nothing in the world seems more important"
thebrokepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Sikkcaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Erie,Pa
Posts: 6,271
Default

Harold's Chicken Shack. Thank me later.
__________________
ORLANDO JOHNSON/PAUL GEORGE/Albert Belle and many more! Pacers/Dolphins!
My bucket! http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/sikkcaden/library/
Twitter: @SikkCaden
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Sikkcaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Erie,Pa
Posts: 6,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Avoid gunfire and GTFO that dreadful city and never go back.
You're a gem and a half.
__________________
ORLANDO JOHNSON/PAUL GEORGE/Albert Belle and many more! Pacers/Dolphins!
My bucket! http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/sikkcaden/library/
Twitter: @SikkCaden
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,138
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkcaden View Post
Harold's Chicken Shack. Thank me later.
Nice. I'm a big foodie so I'll definitely be looking for some good places to eat. I'm going to try to avoid the places I've been a million times already.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Sikkcaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Erie,Pa
Posts: 6,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Nice. I'm a big foodie so I'll definitely be looking for some good places to eat. I'm going to try to avoid the places I've been a million times already.
I suggest going to the one at 636 S Wabash Ave, Chicago 60605 (by depaul university) then walking it off at Millenium Park which is a mile or so away.
__________________
ORLANDO JOHNSON/PAUL GEORGE/Albert Belle and many more! Pacers/Dolphins!
My bucket! http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/sikkcaden/library/
Twitter: @SikkCaden
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,377
Default

Museum of Science and Industry is neat, also if you like Cuban food, try the 90 miles Cuban Cafe. The place has been on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and the food is awesome
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Sikkcaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Erie,Pa
Posts: 6,271
Default

Art Institute of Chicago of also really dope (if youve never been). I am not all that into art, but it's nice to see a lot of legendary and famous paintings up close (Like American Gothic, Nighthawks, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte etc). It's also really big so you can get a few hours out of it.
__________________
ORLANDO JOHNSON/PAUL GEORGE/Albert Belle and many more! Pacers/Dolphins!
My bucket! http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/sikkcaden/library/
Twitter: @SikkCaden
Sikkcaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Avoid gunfire and GTFO that dreadful city and never go back.
Keep your gentrified ass in PA. You do not any idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrokepoet View Post
Greatest city on the planet
Certainly toward the top in the U.S.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
jiggidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,053
Default

Tourist stuff - Shedd Aquarium, Mag Mile

Food - Giordano's for pizza, Gene & Judes for hot dogs, and Portillos for beef.
__________________
Collecting: Detroit Lions, Detroit Pistons, & Detroit Tigers
Amari Spievey Collector: 40/42 (95%) - Non 1 of 1's; 2/11(18%) - 1 of 1's; 0 Incoming
Lions HOF Collection: 14 RC's, 1 GU, 7 Autos
My Sportscardalbum -> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jiggidy
jiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,377
Default

You should have delayed your quick long weekend to 7/31 - 8/4!
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,138
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats View Post
You should have delayed your quick long weekend to 7/31 - 8/4!
Haha Chicago will cost plenty for the Magnificent Mile - I need another year to save before Cleveland next year.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterPattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio (but originally from Michigan)
Posts: 7,095
Default

MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
jlzinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 17,997
Default

Adam's Ribs near the Dearborn Street Station
__________________
Thin skinned megalomaniacs shouldn't post on message boards.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
ChicagoCubsWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver, IA
Posts: 5,411
Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS
Default

My cousin has a restaurant in the Burbs a little bit out of the city in Schaumburg.

It's called Fratos, and has wings, burgers, pizza, etc.

If you have some extra time go check it out and you will thank me later.
__________________
Collecting Cubs Prospects
ChicagoCubsWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
XL5
Member
 
XL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,948
Default

When you're doing Michigan Ave, head down Oak St. for addtional shopping for the wife. Then turn up Rush for some bars. I'm sure you know this already but Oak often gets overlooked.

If it's this weekend, the Cubs are out of town. If you can Scout Seats for the Sox/Braves game on Saturday, that's a great time. Get there early, have a nice meal and all you can drink, walk down the tunnel and hit your seats. Eat/drink all you want and enjoy the game. The Red Line is shut down, either get a livery or take the Green Line. Easy trip. (Green line or cab/livery, easy drive but lots of traffic)

If it's a different weekend and the Cubs are in town, yeah, it's an easy train ride (Red line or Brown to Red line). You can't go wrong, just follow the masses. EDIT: Or for a nice sight-seeing alternative, take the 151 bus from Michigan Ave through Lincoln Park. Get off at Belmont, take the 77 west to Sheffield, and walk to the game. Give yourself a few hours an hit bars along the way (start with Bridget McNeill's right there where you pick up the 77).

There are two big street fests this weekend. There are probably just as many any other weekend.
River North (cab, walk, or bus)
Lincoln Park (Red line or Brown line to Fullerton, or cab)
Live bands, food, lots of people.

For food, there are always the high-end Tru and Nomi, both right off the Mag mile. (Walk)

If you're getting pizza, go here (Lincoln Park location). Tourists don't go there but it's some of the best pizza in the city. (cab or drive)

The museums are great but really crowded in the summer. If you go, go really early or at the end of the day, like an hour before close. (walk, bus, or cab)

Get a 3-day CTA pass at any Walgreens and you don't have to worry fares on the trains/busses. Unlimited rides for 72 hours.
__________________
Want: 2010 Allen & Ginter N43 relics of Pujols, Markakis, Howard. Want: Konerko high-end, looking for any Konerko 2012 Topps S1 1/1s
My buckets: https://sites.google.com/site/xl5inventory/ My shipping: DC and mailed next business day. My LCSs: Elite Sports Cards, Chicago; Tim's Baseball Card Shop, Chicago

Last edited by XL5; 07-16-2013 at 01:44 PM.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,357
Default

Navy Pier is pretty good. You can also go to Sears Towers, (Forgot the new name).

Whatever you do don't get lost. Was there last month, and go lost on the El, for about an hour
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,559
Default

Crown and Anchor in Lincoln Park. Best steak and ribs around. Trust me.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,138
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
When you're doing Michigan Ave, head down Oak St. for addtional shopping for the wife. Then turn up Rush for some bars. I'm sure you know this already but Oak often gets overlooked.

If it's this weekend, the Cubs are out of town. If you can Scout Seats for the Sox/Braves game on Saturday, that's a great time. Get there early, have a nice meal and all you can drink, walk down the tunnel and hit your seats. Eat/drink all you want and enjoy the game. The Red Line is shut down, either get a livery or take the Green Line. Easy trip. (Green line or cab/livery, easy drive but lots of traffic)

If it's a different weekend and the Cubs are in town, yeah, it's an easy train ride (Red line or Brown to Red line). You can't go wrong, just follow the masses. EDIT: Or for a nice sight-seeing alternative, take the 151 bus from Michigan Ave through Lincoln Park. Get off at Belmont, take the 77 west to Sheffield, and walk to the game. Give yourself a few hours an hit bars along the way (start with Bridget McNeill's right there where you pick up the 77).

There are two big street fests this weekend. There are probably just as many any other weekend.
River North (cab, walk, or bus)
Lincoln Park (Red line or Brown line to Fullerton, or cab)
Live bands, food, lots of people.

For food, there are always the high-end Tru and Nomi, both right off the Mag mile. (Walk)

If you're getting pizza, go here (Lincoln Park location). Tourists don't go there but it's some of the best pizza in the city. (cab or drive)

The museums are great but really crowded in the summer. If you go, go really early or at the end of the day, like an hour before close. (walk, bus, or cab)

Get a 3-day CTA pass at any Walgreens and you don't have to worry fares on the trains/busses. Unlimited rides for 72 hours.
Lots of good info here. Appreciate it.

Unfortunately it looks like the Cubs are out of town when we are there. That sucks. Oh well.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Shawner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 863
Default

My wife and I always go to Joe's Stone Crab and RedHead Piano bar. Both are right off Michigan.
__________________
Looking for low numbered Von Millers
Shawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 5,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Avoid gunfire and GTFO that dreadful city and never go back.
Place is a *#%^ whole

Awesome eats and attractions and burbs though
coyne81486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
VWBUS1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 5,716
Default

i have been outside of wrigley. beleive there is a bar called goose island or some other fowl name. nice bar, yada yada.

there is a german beer hall there that serves BOOTS of beer and awesome food, was too drunk to remember the name.

also, i enjoyed a slaw-dog with everything, thing was burnt with a poppyseed roll and peppers, onions, relish.
well, my friend was drunk when he got up to order, i was next. lady asked him "watchu want!?" he was like uhh.... IMMEDIATELY she says "get to the back of the line!!!" so i just made it easy and got a slaw dog with everything. win.

there is a blues bar called, blues bar, i think. saw jim belushi and he autographed my friends hat because he just turned 21 that night.
__________________
the fact that we exist, in a universe of sheer randomness, is scientific proof that there are aliens.
we are the aliens.
i can say that with 100% accuracy.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.