Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wine Drinkers?

I recently had a PCS to Spangdahlem AB in Germany. Ive been here a little over 2 months and have had a blast so far. The part of Germany im in is huge on wine. (Eifel Region). I bought 2 different wines off base the other day one called a Eiswen and another called a Rheisling. My spelling may be off but these winse i looked up in the states go for 250.00 or more a bottle. I got it for about 30 Euro. Its more of a sweet wine. Its very good. I might start getting more wine here shortly. I still love my beer though. Budweiser or Budlight. Bottles of course.
usaf010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm no wino, but I'll still drink it here and there. There are some HUGE wine guys on here....like serious collectors/consumers. I personally tend to enjoy white more than red; not really sure why - guess I just find a cool/chilled white more refreshing?

And to your point above - I'm a big fan of Riesling! Yes, a bit on the sweeter side, so can't drink too much, but I like it a lot! As far as other whites are concerned, I tend to favor Chardonnay over Grigio.

Will also drink reds - I prefer a bigger, fruitier red (like a Cabernet) over some of the other varietals.

On a slightly different but related note, I can't stand champagne/sparklng wine. It gives me a headache and if it is anything less than nice and cold I think it tastes like crap. Sure, maybe my palate isn't refined...but whatever. I just don't enjoy it.

Last edited by TrueNE_09; 07-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
TrueNE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

See if they have a Gewurztraminer.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Girls like wine. That is the only reason I would ever drink it. It's a good reason...
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
I'm no whino, but I'll still drink it here and there. There are some HUGE wine guys on here....like serious collectors/consumers. I personally tend to enjoy white more than red; not really sure why - guess I just find a cool/chilled white more refreshing?

And to your point above - I'm a big fan of Riesling! Yes, a bit on the sweeter side, so can't drink too much, but I like it a lot! As far as other whites are concerned, I tend to favor Chardonnay over Grigio.

Will also drink reds - I prefer a bigger, fruitier red (like a Cabernet) over some of the other varietals.

On a slightly different but related note, I can't stand champagne/sparklng wine. It gives me a headache and if it is anything less than nice and cold I think it tastes like crap. Sure, maybe my palate isn't refined...but whatever. I just don't enjoy it.
Is there money to be made in wine collecting? I can only drink sweeter wines. I hate a dry wine, and i think thats because everytime i would go to family get together and there was wine it wasnt chilled and it was warmand dry. I agree with you on Cabernet i like fruitier wines. And also agree with not liking Champagne or sparkling wine. I think i might take a trip this weekend to a Winery over by Frankfurt.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Riesling Kabinetts are quite tasty for rieslings.

Just read a good review summarized here;
This year, my go-to is the under-$20 semi-sweet Riesling from Germany, the Dönnhoff Riesling Kabinett Kreuznacher Krötenpfuhl (from the village of) Nahe.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I believe there is; it is like anything else that exists in limited quantities; certain ones become more sought after, and thus increase in value over time. Most good to great vine makers will only produce a certain amount of wine per vintage, so if one becomes popular then off to the races. Just like sports cards. I don't personally collect, but as I said, I believe there are a few really big wine people on here. I think there may have been another wine thread, not sure.

If I were in Europe and had the opportunity I'd definitely make some trips to vineyards around the continent. That would be fun! Hope you enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf010 View Post
Is there money to be made in wine collecting? I can only drink sweeter wines. I hate a dry wine, and i think thats because everytime i would go to family get together and there was wine it wasnt chilled and it was warmand dry. I agree with you on Cabernet i like fruitier wines. And also agree with not liking Champagne or sparkling wine. I think i might take a trip this weekend to a Winery over by Frankfurt.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks i hope to make it around to a few and i hope others get in the forum that are big on wine. I did get told by a local German here who is a wine enthusiest that a Eiswen thats sold in the states that doesnt say Made in Germany isnt authentic. The grapes for a Eiswen have to be picked very late in the year and at -8 degrees between 2am-4am. The authentic ones in the states will cost you a pretty penny and the cheap ones will be well..cheap Under 20 bucks from what he said. Ill be sure to update this thread with pictures of bottles,vineyards and what not.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Please do - that would be awesome to see! Pics are fun

Quote:
Thanks i hope to make it around to a few and i hope others get in the forum that are big on wine. I did get told by a local German here who is a wine enthusiest that a Eiswen thats sold in the states that doesnt say Made in Germany isnt authentic. The grapes for a Eiswen have to be picked very late in the year and at -8 degrees between 2am-4am. The authentic ones in the states will cost you a pretty penny and the cheap ones will be well..cheap Under 20 bucks from what he said. Ill be sure to update this thread with pictures of bottles,vineyards and what not.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNE_09 View Post
Please do - that would be awesome to see! Pics are fun
I went to a Wine fest in Trier this past weekend. there wasnt much wine i guess i was late but i did get some awesome pictures of the Mosel River and a Huge wall that was bulit during the Roman Empire. Ill upload those when i get home. Just an hour left of work!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

OP -- there is a German brand of ice wine called "Inniskillin" ... it is about $100 per bottle in the states, and it is AMAZING.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ill make an effort to find it and let you know how i like it!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If you do lean on the sweet side of wine, Muscato is quite tasty, as well. Riseling is a favorite of mine, though, the last time I had wine, I made it through two bottles, then proceeded to throw both bottles up...glass and all!
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
If you do lean on the sweet side of wine, Muscato is quite tasty, as well. Riseling is a favorite of mine, though, the last time I had wine, I made it through two bottles, then proceeded to throw both bottles up...glass and all!
My wife loves the cheap brand of Muscato. I think its called Barefoot or something. She gets that every now and then. Im going to see if i cant ship any wine home. Im not sure what the regulations are. I know if i fly home i can carry up to 3 bottles with me.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Yes sir! My cousins own a winery, and we make our own wine every year. A good time.

I don't care if it's red or white, but it's good. They have a Diamond white wine, that is just great. I think they said they have over 30 different grapes for wine. (Didn't know there were that many grapes). But they have really good wine!
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Never drank, ever. But between the smell of wine and beer, I about throw up.
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

@ autographkid- ive read a lot on owning a winery. Lots of hard work and patience. It takes awhile for grapes to get just right for the type of wine correct?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ever since my since my sister came back from studying abroad in Italy, she has become a wine snob. Her friend told me they went out for lunch one day and the friend ordered a glass of wine (Around $30/bottle) and my sister declines saying she can't drink that cheap stuff anymore. Long story short, her friend ends up drinking the whole bottle of wine by herself.

I for one never had wine so I can't really say.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
My wife loves the cheap brand of Muscato. I think its called Barefoot or something. She gets that every now and then. Im going to see if i cant ship any wine home. Im not sure what the regulations are. I know if i fly home i can carry up to 3 bottles with me.
You cannot mail wine throgh the mail legally, I have seen it done before though. If customs catches it they will most likely destroy it.

You can however take wine back with you when you PCS. It depends on the state you are going to on the limit and how much tax you will pay on it.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
OP -- there is a German brand of ice wine called "Inniskillin" ... it is about $100 per bottle in the states, and it is AMAZING.
I believe Inniskillin is Canadian. Ice wine is generally more expensive due to the process used to make it, basically concentrating the juice by freezing and removing excess water. German riesling is generally a sweet style but Riesling can vary widely in terms of dryness. Will be interested to hear your progress, old world wines can be challenging to a lot of people.
SK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
You cannot mail wine throgh the mail legally, I have seen it done before though. If customs catches it they will most likely destroy it.

You can however take wine back with you when you PCS. It depends on the state you are going to on the limit and how much tax you will pay on it.
Ill just label it Olive Oi! l
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

I love ice wine. It is more expensive in the States like everyone has said. When I was stationed in Germany I actually shipped ice wine back for my family. Enjoy those wine fests there and I would definetly pick up a bottle here and there to start a collection.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

I will be picking up some bottles for a collection for sure. Not sure how or where ill start but im sure ill figure it out. Any suggestions will be gladly taken. I keep trying to upload some pictures i took but it keep ssaying Error.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK40 View Post
I believe Inniskillin is Canadian. Ice wine is generally more expensive due to the process used to make it, basically concentrating the juice by freezing and removing excess water. German riesling is generally a sweet style but Riesling can vary widely in terms of dryness. Will be interested to hear your progress, old world wines can be challenging to a lot of people.
You are absolutely right. I had always believed it to be German.

And yes, I read about the process many years ago -- really fascinating stuff.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
@ autographkid- ive read a lot on owning a winery. Lots of hard work and patience. It takes awhile for grapes to get just right for the type of wine correct?
Yes sir, it does. Some grapes take from Spring until Fall to be just ripe, and some can take longer. Since they are located in Pennsylvania, they only grow grapes that take from spring until fall to ripe. Either way, they still make some pretty good wine.
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote