Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default College vs. High School

Hey guys. I will be heading off to college in about two years, and I was wondering what your personal experiences were in high school compared to college?

- Did the workload seem to be more/less in one or another?
- Were you given more course flexibility in college/high school?
- Were the courses in high school/college more relevant in the real world today?
- Any other key differences or experiences?

Thanks for the help!
lagalaxyfan23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

1. Equal
2. High School. You're an adult in college, and should act as such.
3. High School courses were more relevant, but college was more practical.
4. There was a bar on campus in college...only difference.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

1. Equal.
2. Absolutely high school
3. I think college is more relevant. The professors know what they are talking about. For example my anthropology professor was an anthropologist, geography professor worked in his field as well as taught.
4. More mature people in the actual classes themselves. Not outside of them...
CasperMcLovin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

For the workload, it's a totally different kind of workload

You're not going to be having to do homework just about every night like you do in high school, for the most part you're going to have your 12-15 hours of class in a week (which is really like just 2 days of highschool) and then depending on your major and classes will have zero to five hours of home work to do during the entire week.

But then you're going to have much larger projects, papers, and tests

So when it's time for those to come around you're going to be putting in a lot more time than you did for those same things in high school. There will also be a significant (almost none) amount of hand holding from professors in college compared to the teachers in high school.

For the people who posted above me, where did you go to school that you had more class choices in high school than you did in college?

Both have their required classes you can't choose and both have the required classes that you have a select few classes to choose from for those. But then for the couple classes that's totally up to you, college has exponentially more options than you do in high school.
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Workload-high school has much less but it really depends on classes
Course flexibility-college. They teach bowling, billiards, and darts as a class
Relevant-neither. I pretty much have not learned anything in high school or college that was not useful and everything except learning new math, useless, I already knew about and really haven't used anything
Difference-you can choose what time you go to school whether it be a 9 am class or 2 pm class. You have to pay a ton more money in college.
r0yals2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

More in college, but you've gained more knowledge through your educational path, so it'll seem equal. You're going to have clubs, have to go outside the classroom, and so much more. College will be more time-consuming. My one bit of is advice is not to skip classes, you can pretty much catch up easily in a college environment but because of that you'll take it for granted.

College, most definitely. In highschool, they offered few AP classes, if any. In college, if you're going through honors you'll get advanced registration with a wide-array of classes to pick room, and at different times, particularly for the core. The bigger school, the more selection. Think my graduating class was about 600, and my major was pretty small so I didn't have much to choose from when I got to my junior/senior year. It was the same six to ten of us together in almost every major required class. Try to take mandatory courses earlier if you can.

- Were the courses in high school/college more relevant in the real world today?

Depends entirely on your line of work. Your thought process will change though. Just don't start diagnosing people after your first psychology class, or think you know the meaning of life after your first philosophy one.

A lot more freedom, a whole different experience. Enjoy.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperMcLovin View Post
1. Equal.
2. Absolutely high school
3. I think college is more relevant. The professors know what they are talking about. For example my anthropology professor was an anthropologist, geography professor worked in his field as well as taught.
4. More mature people in the actual classes themselves. Not outside of them...
Good point. Head over and stand outside an education class and listen to the course material....

Going into school I wanted to do math and education and teach high school, but after looking at a few syllabi I decided to go for just math and a couple minors. I would rather be taught by those who have worked or have spent more time in the field they're teaching personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0yals2012 View Post
Workload-high school has much less but it really depends on classes
Course flexibility-college. They teach bowling, billiards, and darts as a class
Relevant-neither. I pretty much have not learned anything in high school or college that was not useful and everything except learning new math, useless, I already knew about and really haven't used anything
Difference-you can choose what time you go to school whether it be a 9 am class or 2 pm class. You have to pay a ton more money in college.
Not the case with me haha, was offered payments on a new car or a private, Catholic highschool, and chose the latter.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Good point. Head over and stand outside an education class and listen to the course material....

Going into school I wanted to do math and education and teach high school, but after looking at a few syllabi I decided to go for just math and a couple minors. I would rather be taught by those who have worked or have spent more time in the field they're teaching personally.

Not the case with me haha, was offered payments on a new car or a private, Catholic highschool, and chose the latter.
Lucky. No financial help for me. Nothing even for graduating in the top quarter of my class.they just give it to people they know will drop out
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

My opinions, from a person who would probably do it a little differently if I was given the chance again. Even though I did perfectly well to begin with, there is always room for improvement. My comments are for high school vs. 4-year university/college degree.

College will be a step up, let's face it - high school is easy if you apply yourself. I think you have to have a better grasp of the content in college. It is easier to miss the entire point of an essay if you are not careful.

College, but this depends on your program. In high school we had a couple cool class offerings, but there is a lot more to choose from in college. If you are going into a BAH or BSH you will probably have more to choose from compared to an Engineering or Nursing degree where you have more credits to fulfill. Also, there are prerequisites for many courses, so you may end up taking a lot of 100-level (intro) courses and sometimes those are dull. Still, there is typically more to choose from.

Depends on what you choose, to be honest, but I would still say college every time. That said, if you are taking Art History of Pottery 1000 AD to 1005 AD, you may be shooting yourself in the foot. You can take courses that are more applied than others, but many are still very much based in theory.

Plan your day. Just do it from the get-go, you can lose track of time really quickly especially if you tend to be more social to begin with. I wasn't terribly social going into university but I still got behind because I was going out too much or simply watching too much TV on my computer.

I would really recommend to take a look at your schedule once it is released, and think about how you can best use your time. I am not saying you have to put in 8 hours a day - I don't think I ever did that in my 4 years of undergrad or my Master's program, but use your time wisely. Even if it is going to the library between classes instead of to the dorms.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagalaxyfan23 View Post
More, much more, but I had a writing intensive major. The only folks who worked harder than me were music majors, those guys got bombed.

Quote:
More. I double-majored in Social Science and Economics with a math minor. I had to do 12 credits required in each major, then 20 elective credits within each major, 32 credits of required gen ed, some of which qualified for my majors and the rest was elective.

Quote:
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't use algebra, that was high school. There isn't a day that goes by that grammar and spelling does not matter, that was high school.

Quote:
College co-eds, definitely a huge step above high school.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

- Did the workload seem to be more/less in one or another? Yes and no. Your basics will generally take less time than all the needless homework and projects you do in high school. However, if you have to work, you may have less time to do them.

- Were you given more course flexibility in college/high school? High school. Do yourself a favor and really really think about what you want to do in life. Unless your dream is super clearly defined, go for a flexible degree.

- Were the courses in high school/college more relevant in the real world today? College. Although it's not always the classes themselves that are the most relevant. Often it's just the growing up that comes with having to fight all of your own battles.

- Any other key differences or experiences? Never be afraid to talk to your professors. Even a pointless five-minute conversation with the professor after the first class can make a world of difference. If they (or the TA) knows your name (and you're not a jerk or slacker), it WILL make a positive difference in your grade. (trust me, I was a TA for 3 years) Learn how to write a five part essay with a clear thesis. You have no idea how many essays I looked at where I stopped reading after the first paragraph and gave them an A because they had already convinced me that they knew what they were talking about better than the other incoherent students.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0yals2012 View Post
Lucky. No financial help for me. Nothing even for graduating in the top quarter of my class.they just give it to people they know will drop out
That was for highschool, though, so my parents helped my out. Highschool gave me nothing, and wasn't honors heading in because of my grammar school. After my freshman year I was into the honors program but was given no financial help, which kind of sucked. Ended up finishing sixth but the class size was around ~95. For college, headed in with a scholarship but just missed the full, so had to go with loans, which will take me a couple years to pay off, but finished top 11 in my class of ~600. Applied for more money, but never got a response. I hope they never expect a donation.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Classes also very by professor. My first year I had a class where the prof treated us as upperclassmen. Many 1st year college students are in 5th year of high school mode and it completly derailed the class (until they stopped showing). On the flip side I had a professor who took attendance everyday for 90+ person class. 20 minutes were wasted everyday for a 60 min class. School is too f'n expensive to waste time making sure everyone is there.
rtcrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Y2Hood

Quote:
College workload might have had more expected from the student, but any increased workload that would be deciphered is lessened by the fact you're taking what you want from what professors you want in most cases. Once you get past the "general education" requirements it can become all fun and games depending on your major.

Quote:
College. You take what you want when you want, unless it's one of those ridiculous senior level courses that are only offered at certain times. Then just hope and pray another required course isn't offered at the same time.

Quote:
High school: I still haven't used algebra, physics, etc.. in the real world.

College: I majored in both Government AND History and well...I work "for" a government job but nothing I learned in school is applicable. Both of those degrees are designed for going to Graduate and Post Graduate schools. Be mindful of this when choosing a major.

Quote:
Due to the stupidity of "yolo" those girls in high school that "aren't that kinda girl" are now "that kinda girl" if you know what I mean

No one holds your hand in college.

Your mom can't call and demand a conference/grade update.

There are people that never grasp that they are in "big school" now.

In explicably there's always that one classmate that is in one of your classes every year for 8 semesters, and graduates...yet is the dumbest person alive.

When a professor hammers home a point, take note. I had a professor ALL SEMESTER say how much weight he puts on works being cited, bibliographies, and footnotes. This one student turned in an entire paper not citing a damn source.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

you won't have parents there to keep you honest and working. That was the biggest adjustment that i failed to make the first year. Came back strong halfway through my second year, but damn, dug a deep hole. Nobody is going to sit over your shoulder each day and ask if you did your homework, etc.

go party, have fun, have sex, all that fun stuff. But make sure you take care of your work first.

also, most professors don't give a #@#@#@#@ about you unless you make the effort. Sit in front where they can see you. Go to class all the time unless you are ill. Ask questions. The more the prof sees you and "knows" you, the more leeway you'll get if you need it. My mother died right at the end of my first term away. The professors that were willing to work with me taking my finals early were the few that I actually attended each day and asked frequent questions. The other teachers that I skipped a lot told me tough #@#@#@#@.

(not so) Funny story- i got high with a "friend" on a Friday before we had to go to our Econ class for a review session. We regularly skipped the class and planned to get all we needed from the review session for the exam (not a viable strategy). Well, we walk in, and the guy starts handing out the test. Did the total stoner "We have a test today?" line and had some people look at me funny. Read each question and answer 5 times just to make sense of it all, and failed the test.

long story short- take care of your education first and foremost before pleasure. Make friends and live your life, but don't do it at the detriment to making sure you pass your classes. College is expensive, and the more you dick around, the more it's going to cost you.

i think that is the biggest difference- that you have to have self control and make yourself work when nobody is telling you to do so outside of class.

Also, hone those study skills. I was able to coast through HS, but once college came around it smacked me in the face with its dick a few times before I really learned the best way for me to study. I'd never had to study hard before.

lastly- avoid group projects like the plague if possible. It always happens that one person ends up pulling most of the weight (me in most cases) and I hated it. Sometimes you can't avoid it, and in those cases make sure you aren't in a group with your friends unless you trust them to do their part. Having to come down on a friend to do their work really is hard.

but mostly, have a #@#@#@#@ing blast dude. and wrap your tool. oh, and unless you are a morning person, don't schedule anything before 10 a.m. if you can avoid it. you will be up late either studying or fooling around.

edit:

i keep adding stuff- this is it before i go drop some kids off at the pool.

unless you are 100% positive what you want to do with your life, strongly consider going undeclared your first year if possible. If it isn't possible, make sure you take complete advantage of electives when they fit into your schedule so you can really see what you like to do.

I was good at math and science. My HS guidance counselor said "you would be a good engineer. why don't you do that?" and I said "cool. Sign me up i guess" and signed up for Aerospace Engineering at UC. #@#@#@#@ me man, i was good at high school math, but calculus is the devil and I realized I didn't enjoy Engineering. After taking a year of just general graduation requirement classes and electives, I realized I wanted to be a teacher and was able to go full force into that. However, I wasted 2 years trying to fit a square peg through a round hole because I never thought hard about what I liked to do and what I wanted to do for a living.

Your first choice isn't always going to be right- get used to that.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.

Last edited by Clarka3; 09-19-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Join the military, you will appreciate college life way more and you won't waste your time figuring out what you really want to do in your 1st year.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

For your college professors always use ratemyprofessors.com before choosing your schedule. It's kind of a silly concept but its so useful. I wish I knew about it for the first semester where I had the worst Trigonometry teacher ever. Don't buy your textbooks at the bookstore. Use half.com or craigslist. Much cheaper. Don't overload on hours so much that u just want to go insane. 12 credit hours is enough.