Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Need Help

Hey guys, I have been spending way too much money on the hobby. Currently I am sitting on a decent size bill that needs to be paid. I am a college student and work part time so whatever extra time i have I spend it on vaughn or here. I find myself buying in to way too many breaks and piled up a nice bill. I have the cards that I can sell to cover the bill but my question is, how do I stop buying so much and how to limit what i spend to keep it reasonable. I realize this may seem simple but i have tried many things to stop and i just come back and spend more than i would before. Any help is appreciated and any advice. Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Simply set up a budget. Take a percentage of whatever extra money you have and set that aside for cards. Limit yourself to a small amount for a given time. Once you run out dont try to find other methods of finding money to pay for it.

Thats what I do and it works well if you have control.

But I must say, before you do this, pay your bills. This way you are clear of debt and dont have to worry about it
ToppsCollector1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its all about living within your means.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsCollector1 View Post
Simply set up a budget. Take a percentage of whatever extra money you have and set that aside for cards. Limit yourself to a small amount for a given time. Once you run out dont try to find other methods of finding money to pay for it.

Thats what I do and it works well if you have control.

But I must say, before you do this, pay your bills. This way you are clear of debt and dont have to worry about it
Stop reading after this post. Do what is suggested here and you will be fine

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ever see a person cut up a credit card?

You can sort of do the same thing w/ your Paypal. With a parent's help, have them change your password for 2 weeks, a month, whatever timeframe you decide. At the end of the time limit, they will give you the "new" password and you can do what you want with your Paypal.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

yo dude- sign up to Mint.com (or any other budget website).

my girlfriend got me on this site and it's amazing how much less i am spending in certain areas of my life once i set a monthly budget for things (fast food, shopping, movies, gas, groceries, utilities, rent, etc.).

You can link it to your banking info and it will automatically tell you how much you have to play with. enter your monthly bills, and it will tell you what you have left over.

not saying you have to use mint- but i spent willy-nilly on this hobby for about a year until i sat down and realized just how much i was spending.

you set yourself a card budget and stick to it, and it will work wonders.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Get your paper right son. Having a budget ain't baller.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Better to pay your bills then to have a collection agency put on a wage garnishment... then you won't have money for anything!

-Buy #/% off...2/10%, 3/15%, 4/20%, 5+/25%
-Since when were cards made of gold?!?!
usafshelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

He has a gambling addiction, it's not about buying cards.
You may need to speak to a counselor about compulsive behavior. Myself, I just learned that in order to indulge my whims I simply needed to make more money. If you are pilling up to the point you have issues, sell those cards off. I find the easiest way to let go is to sell everything. It will kill the desire itself, in the act of purging yourself.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
He has a gambling addiction, it's not about buying cards.
You may need to speak to a counselor about compulsive behavior. Myself, I just learned that in order to indulge my whims I simply needed to make more money. If you are pilling up to the point you have issues, sell those cards off. I find the easiest way to let go is to sell everything. It will kill the desire itself, in the act of purging yourself.
Yeah, this.

Unfortunately, purging only lasts so long if you don't do anything about the underlying addiction.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks guys. The money I owe isn't due till then end of october but I have found myself staying up late and buying into a lot of breaks. I plan to sell everything I have and use that money to pay the debt. The money left over will be used for future card things, but limiting myself to only 1 break every other week. I dont think that is a pocket cleaner so that is the plan for now. The advice given was a huge help and I dont believe I am the only one in this boat but I hope to get out of it and spend wiser.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

As a fellow addict, I am a firm believer in making it a game. It has done wonders for me! Invest yourself in selling .. .and realize that virtually any card is replaceable.

So, bust out a spreadsheet, and start recording what you buy. Make it a game to sell more than what you buy, and problem solved! For instance ...

9/18/13 - Bought mouschi's money making football lot for $100 = [-$100]
9/20/13 - Sold the purple bowmans from this lot for $25 = [-$75]
9/22/13 - Sold 5 numbered cards from this lot for $20 = [-$55]
10/18/13 - sold the last of the cards from the lot above for $5 = [+$40]

Note that the dots between are just filler transactions. Now, compare that to buying a hobby box and trying to sell to make money. You will almost always end up with something crazy like -$40 or worse!

Buying smart, and continually selling what you don't absolutely love, is the key to both guilt free and profitable collecting!

It is pure joy to buy cards, have cash in your pocket AND FREE cards to boot!
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote