Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quitting a Job During/After Paid Training

I am currently taking a roughly two-week long training course (Started Monday) for reservationists at a popular resort about 45 minutes from my hometown. We take reservations over the phone, and answer any other questions potential customers have. We have boatloads of differents packages we offer, we book our hotel, villas, condos and townhouses. There are only 5 other "reservationists" working now, and I am in training with one other person. After three days, the job seems a bit overwhelming.

The managers said they want us on the phones the Monday after the two weeks' training, but right now my co-worker in training seems much more adapt to it than I. I don't want to cut bait and run after the paid training, but I'm a little afraid if down the road I'm not ready when they want me to be, or for that matter, if I ever will be. (Sorry for the rant). I can take customer service, but this program requires waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much knowledge IMO. Not to mention the 45-minute drive and getting up at 5:00 which is just not natural for anyone, nonetheless a night owl like me. I need a job EXTREMELY BAD, but I feel I'll be a detriment if I'll always need a manager at my side helping me. Any ideas? (If you're still even reading this).
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you can memorize all the packages and stuff you could be fine, but yeah it would be hard to quit after paid training. Good luck either way.
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
If you can memorize all the packages and stuff you could be fine, but yeah it would be hard to quit after paid training. Good luck either way.
It's an insane amount of information. Obviously I have notes, but what good is it really if I have to constantly search for and refer to them when on the phone with a customer? Obviously I won't know for sure until the end of training how I feel but right now it's killing me, which is unfortunate because I was so pumped when I got it in the first place.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Zacky, long time little hear on these boards.

It sounds like you just need a boost of confidence. Tell yourself that you are going to be the best employee they have ever seen and the learning part will become much easier. I am the least New Age person on the Planet, but self-confidence is where it all begins. Don't forget to have fun with your job.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Zacky, long time little hear on these boards.

It sounds like you just need a boost of confidence. Tell yourself that you are going to be the best employee they have ever seen and the learning part will become much easier. I am the least New Age person on the Planet, but self-confidence is where it all begins. Don't forget to have fun with your job.
Simple. I figured if I was spending so much time on these boards it meant my life is not getting very far. My post per day number was killer skewed because I didn't post on the boards for like the first year and half I was a member. But now I'm going back to school in the fall and have the job right now so hopefully things are getting better for me.

The benefits at the resort are off the hook fantastic so that and the pay obviously is a reason to want to stay. Plus as I said, forget getting paid for the training but how would it look if I quit during or just after the managers took time to train me? Also, at the last customer service job I was at when they first put me on the phones I was scared to death but got used to it pretty quick, so hopefully things will start looking better next week. We'll have to see.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it makes you feel any better, I did two weeks of paid training with Sears back in the late 80's. I quit after 2 days because after that I was only paid on sales profit and upselling service contracts, and they taught you how to manipulate and upsell people. I felt pretty slimy and couldn't do it so I quit and got a job in government
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I did two weeks of paid training with Sears back in the late 80's. I quit after 2 days because after that I was only paid on sales profit and upselling service contracts, and they taught you how to manipulate and upsell people. I felt pretty slimy and couldn't do it so I quit and got a job in government
I actually quit my last customer service position because I got tired of people calling with unauthorized charges that the company insisted they signed up for when they didn't. Not the case here, it just seems like too much. But if I quit during or after the training I can pretty much kiss the pay from that goodbye anyway right? Makes too much sense that I could get paid for training and get out even though that was obviously not my original intent at all.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Suck it up and give it your best effort. Make them make you leave kicking and screaming...and stop bitching about having to get up at 5 AM, most of us have done that.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've never been a fan of working for other people, but as grandpappy always said, the man with the gold gets to make the rules. You just gotta follow them or find your own pot-o-gold.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ask a question, Ask for tips, use flash cards, just go for it for a month and if you can't hack it at least you tried for awhile, YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB OPPURTUNITY
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhwidder View Post
Ask a question, Ask for tips, use flash cards, just go for it for a month and if you can't hack it at least you tried for awhile, YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB OPPURTUNITY
I can't argue with that. I'm obviously going to try to learn, and like you suggest, wait it out for at least a couple weeks after to see if things get better. They won't expect me to be perfect the second I leave training. I'd rather leave knowing I tried than leaving because I lacked confidence and gave up on myself, plus having to explain that to my next potential employer.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
...and stop bitching about having to get up at 5 AM, most of us have done that.

I get up at 4:30am every day........Does it suck? Hell yeah, but thats life!

Buck up little camper!
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

45 minute drive/5 am

I was up at 5:11, does that count?

I have several co-workers who make a 55 minute+ commute every day.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

This thread kills me. Zack I have no clue how old you are but you need to reach down and grab hold. Not everything in life is going to "Easy". The training is there to provide enough data to do the job. It's up to you to manage the information and do the job that is required. I'm going to throw a stupid analogy at you.

Weight lifting. If you were to bench press (I hope you know what is) right now you would only be able to bench a certain amount of weight. Let’s assume you were trying 100%. 100% equals X amount of weight today. If you worked out say about 1 month and at the end of the month you attempted to bench press your max weight again your results would be higher. I can guarantee you that (baring injury).
The point is if you are trying as hard as you can and giving 100% you will only get better. Just stick with it. Don’t quite because it’s hard. Good luck to you.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/

Last edited by Semper_PatsFan; 03-04-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

in this economy...

suck it up, bite the bullet and do what you can to learn the job.

but if you'd rather be out on your ass with no money, have at it
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Zack, I hope you dont quit. To me, it just sounds like you are talking your self out of this job. Don't give yourself an excuse to fail and give up - give yourself a reason to succeed.

This job may not be your future career, but it will help get you where you need to be.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Zack, I hope you dont quit. To me, it just sounds like you are talking your self out of this job. Don't give yourself an excuse to fail and give up - give yourself a reason to succeed.

This job may not be your future career, but it will help get you where you need to be.
I'll admit what I said sounded bad, but today was a lot better, and they did assure me that they won't throw me on the phones until I'm comfortable with it. I understand my dream of being a beat writer for my favorite sports team or working at a Sports Card Shop is not in my future, so I need to do what I can. As you and others mentioned, a job's a job. We all do it because it's a necessity. My sincere apologies to anyone if I offended you with my "rant", and also my thanks to those who offerred encouragement.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

I hate my job every morning when I get up at 5am. But every 2 weeks when they make a nice contribution to my bank account I remember why I get up! The best quote ever is
"I work because my creditors demand it!"
Just hang in there and you'll be fine. Work till the checks dry up! You might find it to your liking. Is this paid hourly or commission based?

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
but if you'd rather be out on your ass with no money, have at it
Or get a government job in Calie
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

When I was fresh out of college (many moons ago) I took a finance job that required 12hr days and sitting in a cubicle (with a monkey suite). I really did not like the job, but told myself to give it at least a year...I eventually left after 2 years and found the experience I got out of that "boring" job has helped me get to where I am at today. I now work even longer hours, but wake up eveery morning LOVING my job. Look at this job as a stepping stone for bigger and better things. Good Luck.
Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I love getting up at 445 am because I'm usually home by 2 to see my wife. I still stay up til 11-12 at night.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote