Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: Will you be buying the Xbox 1 or PS4
XBOX 1 43 39.45%
PS4 66 60.55%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Xbox 1. Can't wait for Forza and will be playing that, COD Ghosts and ACIV on my Xbox One all day the 22nd haha.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #27 (permalink)

Other Xbox One games are running at 1080p. The whole thing is a bit overblown.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

XBox One for Achievements :turkey:
Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

PS4, I've had it with the Red Lights! Plus Xbox will not support any baseball games for the foreseeable future
Jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Other Xbox One games are running at 1080p. The whole thing is a bit overblown.
Funny, because 640p (PS3) vs 720p (Xbox360) was HUGE last gen.

For every one pixel at 640p you have 1.3 at 720p.
For every one pixel at 720p you have 2.25 at 1080p.

Yeah, 1080p renders more than twice as many pixels than at 720p.

Last edited by vwnut13; 11-11-2013 at 07:46 PM.
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
PS4, I've had it with the Red Lights! Plus Xbox will not support any baseball games for the foreseeable future
Red ring of death hasn't been relevant in years. And baseball games are released every year on Xbox just like PS..might not match up to "The Show", but there are indeed baseball games.

I've never played "The Show", but that is the only PS exclusive I've ever wanted to play.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Red ring of death hasn't been relevant in years. And baseball games are released every year on Xbox just like PS..might not match up to "The Show", but there are indeed baseball games.

I've never played "The Show", but that is the only PS exclusive I've ever wanted to play.

As far as we know, no baseball games for the Xbox One.

2k13 was a last minute license renewal, and I haven't seen any info that leads me to believe that they will put out a game for next gen.
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post

It's overblown in the sense that the Xbox One is capable of running in 1080p just like the PS4. For whatever reason, the developers of some of the cross platform games didn't have the time or system understanding to make sure both games could run at 1080p in the case of Ghosts. In terms of resolution though you also have to consider the distance you are sitting from the TV and the size of the TV. If you are playing on a TV under 50 inches it is my understanding that it does not matter what the game is running at since they will both look the same unless you are sitting closer than two feet away (not sure I'd recommend that).

The original point is that games like Forza 5, developed solely for the Xbox One, it will run at 1080p if that means a lot to you. It is possible and I'm sure as we get deep into both console lives you'll have games that run at 1080p consistently on both.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
As far as we know, no baseball games for the Xbox One.

2k13 was a last minute license renewal, and I haven't seen any info that leads me to believe that they will put out a game for next gen.
Baseball games will come out. I can't not see a baseball game never coming out on the next gen console.

But idk how high priority it would be. I don't think baseball games sell anywhere near as good as football, basketball, and even the lame sport of soccer.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Quote:
Baseball games will come out. I can't not see a baseball game never coming out on the next gen console.

But idk how high priority it would be. I don't think baseball games sell anywhere near as good as football, basketball, and even the lame sport of soccer.
The Show sells a lot.

Quote:

Im a PS4 supporter and the whole "P" argument is so stupid, it's barely noticeable
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

I will say that I have noticed a swing in popular sentiment on many video game blogs. It seems as if the Xbox One was a bit underrated (it's own fault after the feature fiasco) while the PS4 might have been a bit overrated. Both are, and will be, great systems. But there is not some huge gap between the two in terms of power, game library, non-gaming features, and online play. It now seems that both are on equal footing which is nice. As far as the mandatory Kinect bundle, that is not, and should not, go away. The only way you get companies to develop for it is to guarantee that it has a good user base. And what better way to have a good user base is there than to make sure that every system has it. The Playstation Eye may turn out to be cool, but it probably will never get used as much as the Kinect will. $100 should not be something that makes you buy one system over the other. It's not an investment per se, but it is something you are buying now with the hopes that it'll last you 4-6 years. $100 over 4-6 years is not a big deal. I also like to think that if I was not able to afford an extra $100 to get the system that really fit my needs and wants, maybe I should hold off on getting a system until I have the money.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I will say that I have noticed a swing in popular sentiment on many video game blogs. It seems as if the Xbox One was a bit underrated (it's own fault after the feature fiasco) while the PS4 might have been a bit overrated. Both are, and will be, great systems. But there is not some huge gap between the two in terms of power, game library, non-gaming features, and online play. It now seems that both are on equal footing which is nice. As far as the mandatory Kinect bundle, that is not, and should not, go away. The only way you get companies to develop for it is to guarantee that it has a good user base. And what better way to have a good user base is there than to make sure that every system has it. The Playstation Eye may turn out to be cool, but it probably will never get used as much as the Kinect will. $100 should not be something that makes you buy one system over the other. It's not an investment per se, but it is something you are buying now with the hopes that it'll last you 4-6 years. $100 over 4-6 years is not a big deal. I also like to think that if I was not able to afford an extra $100 to get the system that really fit my needs and wants, maybe I should hold off on getting a system until I have the money.
Kiniect will always be a waste of money for me, just like the Nintendo Wii. All I will ever use it for is playing fruit ninja or bowling. Voice features to me are a joke when I can do it faster with a remote.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Kiniect will always be a waste of money for me, just like the Nintendo Wii. All I will ever use it for is playing fruit ninja or bowling. Voice features to me are a joke when I can do it faster with a remote.
The voice features may be nice when you are searching for something like a game, TV show, or movie. I think it's nice that if I tell it to search for something like Game of Thrones, it will pull up both the store where I can buy it, or if I have HBO GO, it will pull that up instead so I can watch it on there. It's also cool in terms of how they are going to use it to redeem download codes (QR codes) as well as the new games it will have. I think in the long run it'll be worth the extra $100 once it's fully integrated and supported by companies other than Microsoft.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
It's overblown in the sense that the Xbox One is capable of running in 1080p just like the PS4. For whatever reason, the developers of some of the cross platform games didn't have the time or system understanding to make sure both games could run at 1080p in the case of Ghosts. In terms of resolution though you also have to consider the distance you are sitting from the TV and the size of the TV. If you are playing on a TV under 50 inches it is my understanding that it does not matter what the game is running at since they will both look the same unless you are sitting closer than two feet away (not sure I'd recommend that).

The original point is that games like Forza 5, developed solely for the Xbox One, it will run at 1080p if that means a lot to you. It is possible and I'm sure as we get deep into both console lives you'll have games that run at 1080p consistently on both.
I am quite sure that both will support 1080p on most games however, since the chip architecture is very similar between the two and the OS of the XBOne is essentially windows, I suspect the hardware was the reason, not a lack of time to understand the system. Heck, they even had an extra week for the XBone. It is well known that for this go-round, the PS has the superior hardware.

My guess is the PS4 will mop the floor with the XBOne. This time the M$ does not have a year head start on sales and has a higher price, it won't take six years for Sony to pass them this time.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #40 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

PS 4 - easy decision

I have both 360 and PS3 and hardly ever waste my time with 360 - the games play so much better on playstation IMO plus MLB the show makes it a no brainer.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:

Slap yourself....that is all.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #42 (permalink)

Apparently we get the PS4 Wednesday night? Just got an email from best buy

Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

I did pickup NBA2K14,FIFA, and Madden at Target with their B2G1 promotion. If you guys want NBA2K14, I would get it now, seems to be in short supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Apparently we get the PS4 Wednesday night? Just got an email from best buy
hmm I haven't yet and I preordered within the first few minutes.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
I am quite sure that both will support 1080p on most games however, since the chip architecture is very similar between the two and the OS of the XBOne is essentially windows, I suspect the hardware was the reason, not a lack of time to understand the system. Heck, they even had an extra week for the XBone. It is well known that for this go-round, the PS has the superior hardware.

My guess is the PS4 will mop the floor with the XBOne. This time the M$ does not have a year head start on sales and has a higher price, it won't take six years for Sony to pass them this time.
One of the benefits the PS3 had was being a Blu-Ray player. At the time of release, it was the cheapest player on the market.

I would venture to guess that a good chunk of PS3 owners use it for playing movies nearly exclusively. Combined with the fact you didn't need PS+ to use Netflix (or the like), and it became a good home entertainment box.

The Xbox 360 was really only a gaming console. Having to pay for XBL combined with the fact there was no Blu-Ray made it really only good for gaming (with occasional streaming movies if you bought a Gold membership).

This isn't a knock on Sony, but you can see how/why the PS3 made good headway into the market.

Now, Microsoft is going for that "all-in-one" entertainment box while Sony is continuing to do what they did with the PS3.

Also, for those debating the horsepower under the hood of each, the PS4 is more powerful. it doesn't have to do with development time or anything like that. The choices Sony made with the hardware will outperform the XB1 from now until end of life. They are essentially using the same architecture, but Sony's GPU and RAM choices were better.

If you want to get into the details, go here: AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

To sum it up:

Quote:
Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz). Unlike last generation, you don't need to be some sort of Jedi to extract the PS4's potential here. The Xbox One and PS4 architectures are quite similar, Sony just has more hardware under the hood. We’ll have to wait and see how this hardware delta gets exposed in games over time, but the gap is definitely there. The funny thing about game consoles is that it’s usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I did pickup NBA2K14,FIFA, and Madden at Target with their B2G1 promotion. If you guys want NBA2K14, I would get it now, seems to be in short supply

hmm I haven't yet and I preordered within the first few minutes.
Just got another email saying they screwed up the date and it's really Thursday at midnight :turkey:

Old 11-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #46 (permalink)

Just got the buy 2 get one free off Amazon. I bought COD Ghost, Battlefield 4, and NBA 2k14. Hopefully I can get my PS4 this week. BJs will have them so I might get lucky.
bballcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcollector View Post
Just got the buy 2 get one free off Amazon. I bought COD Ghost, Battlefield 4, and NBA 2k14. Hopefully I can get my PS4 this week. BJs will have them so I might get lucky.
you realize they are sold out of NBA2K14 so it might not arrive for awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
One of the benefits the PS3 had was being a Blu-Ray player. At the time of release, it was the cheapest player on the market.

I would venture to guess that a good chunk of PS3 owners use it for playing movies nearly exclusively. Combined with the fact you didn't need PS+ to use Netflix (or the like), and it became a good home entertainment box.

The Xbox 360 was really only a gaming console. Having to pay for XBL combined with the fact there was no Blu-Ray made it really only good for gaming (with occasional streaming movies if you bought a Gold membership).

This isn't a knock on Sony, but you can see how/why the PS3 made good headway into the market.

Now, Microsoft is going for that "all-in-one" entertainment box while Sony is continuing to do what they did with the PS3.

Also, for those debating the horsepower under the hood of each, the PS4 is more powerful. it doesn't have to do with development time or anything like that. The choices Sony made with the hardware will outperform the XB1 from now until end of life. They are essentially using the same architecture, but Sony's GPU and RAM choices were better.

If you want to get into the details, go here: AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

To sum it up:
the only thing PS3 had over xbox 360 was the blu ray. Otherwise the xbox was more of a media player. It could handle more codecs and didn't have pirating protection on it like the PS3.

Also Xbox One still has a stupid power brick on the outside

Last edited by fm8418; 11-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
you realize they are sold out of NBA2K14 so it might not arrive for awhile

the only thing PS3 had over xbox 360 was the blu ray. Otherwise the xbox was more of a media player. It could handle more codecs and didn't have pirating protection on it like the PS3.

Also Xbox One still has a stupid power brick on the outside
how about reliability, ps3's ability to easily upgrade the hard drive, ram, the processor, and free online. the biggest thing to hurt the ps3 besides coming out a year late was the difficulty and the time consumption of developing games for it. alot of mainstream games were developed around the xbox and just ported to the ps3 format.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
how about reliability, ps3's ability to easily upgrade the hard drive, ram, the processor, and free online. the biggest thing to hurt the ps3 besides coming out a year late was the difficulty and the time consumption of developing games for it. alot of mainstream games were developed around the xbox and just ported to the ps3 format.
the free internet thing wasn't an advantage really. Yes you had to pay for xbox live(I paid like $35 a year) but it was a way better experience.

PS3 had the Yellow Light of Death, not as bad as Microsofts. Plus Sony also were hacked badly.

The Hard Drive is nice but the average person wont know about that.

Last edited by fm8418; 11-12-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #50 (permalink)

I think one thing people are not giving Microsoft credit for is their massive amount of servers they are going to dedicate to the Xbox One to deliver all kinds of things that could potentially expand the power of the system. We already know of one game that is going to use this feature, so much so, that it's not coming to the PS4 (Titanfall). Whether this is a game-changer or a silly feature remains to be seen. It is nice to know that they are giving free dedicated servers to game makers so there would be no more P2P hosted gameplay. For games like Call of Duty, other FPS', and fighting games this could be a huge benefit to online play as it may introduce a better experience and get rid of pesky host migration issues in these games.