Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Macbook pro vs macbook air

I am currently a high school student and I am looking to purchase a macbook. I would use it for school, and for everyday use at home. I currently have a HP, bit it is very frustrating because the school district runs on Mac, so an hp is useless. I would us the Mac to run iMovie, keynote, pages, numbers, etc
Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

someones family has money lol
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

No. Just no.
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pro...I have a Pro and its awesome. An air doesn't have as much storage or RAM as a Pro.
Trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
someones family has money lol
No, I have to purchase it on my own
Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I faced this dilemma back in June. I've bought plenty of windows based computers over the years and have to continuously replace them. I decided to bite the bullet and went for a Mac. I was going to get the air (because im cheap) but my wife talked me into going for the macbook pro. Hands down the best decision shes made me make haha.

Go Pro or Go Home.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem1cha3l View Post
I faced this dilemma back in June. I've bought plenty of windows based computers over the years and have to continuously replace them. I decided to bite the bullet and went for a Mac. I was going to get the air (because im cheap) but my wife talked me into going for the macbook pro. Hands down the best decision shes made me make haha.

Go Pro or Go Home.
exactly! I bought a HP G on Black Friday for $400 and 3 weeks later, the screen broke.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I converted from a 13.3 pro an air. The air has better battery life which I value more than storage space (I dont need that much storage space as I keep everything online). I also found myself not needing a cd drive anymore either. Air just made sense. I love both my laptops.

Only suggestion I have no matter what you buy is to keep is small. 13.3 and 11 are both great sizes. 15s are just way too big.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

The one complement I can pay to Apple is that they know how to physically design a beautiful piece of equipment.

That said, it is a highly overpriced beautiful piece of a equipment.

I am not sure how people break things so easily. I have yet to break a laptop that I have owned.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I love my 13" MacBook Pro. I dropped in a SSD day 1 and its perfect.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
The one complement I can pay to Apple is that they know how to physically design a beautiful piece of equipment.

That said, it is a highly overpriced beautiful piece of a equipment.

I am not sure how people break things so easily. I have yet to break a laptop that I have owned.
That's an amazing story but it doesn't help the OP since he is required to get a Mac.

OP base your purchase on your common usage, screen size, and price point.

Get one from the refurb store. That way, you can add Applecare and pay less than for a new machine without extended warranty:

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

I got my Macbook Pro for $999.99. My sister goes to school at Vandy and she got a student discount from the Campus Store and bought 2. My model is 2012 Mac Pro 13', I believe it retails for $1199. We got a nice deal and it also came with a $100 iTunes gift card. I believe Apple gives student discounts so you might want to look into that.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
That's an amazing story but it doesn't help the OP since he is required to get a Mac.

OP base your purchase on your common usage, screen size, and price point.

Get one from the refurb store. That way, you can add Applecare and pay less than for a new machine without extended warranty:

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)
At what point does the troll-ee become the troll-er? He didn't say he was required to get a Mac, just that it would be more convenient, considering his school runs on Apple computers.

With that said, OP, I would suggest the Macbook Air, as the portability would be beneficial to you, although iMovie would run better on the Pro. That's not to say it wouldn't run great on the Air, just better on the Pro.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Macbook air with ssd. Faster than anything you have experienced.

Storage wise, unless your downloading and storing a ton of things Macbook air is plenty. If not buy an external hardrive anyways they are 80 dollars. Also the light and compact nature of the air is awesome.

Also unless your a graphic designer or doing heavy computer things a Pro is not really needed.

Always buying Highend Items: PhotoBucket:
http://s1176.beta.photobucket.com/user/PACARDS/library/
Prospectorsadvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Another upside for the pro is that it has the super drive built in, I am torn between the two because the air is faster and lighter, but the pro has more storage
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Still looking for opinions? Don't just say one way or the other, say why!!! Thanks(:
Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

When I run photoshop or iMovie on my Pro, my mac still lags and it gets super hot after 15 minutes of use. The space needed to run that is still pretty big even for a Pro, imagine what would happen on an Air? It gets like really hot and the computers get slow after a while.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yes, doing graphics or 3d games, or HD movie making is not recommended on the Air... And, as you have said, will make the pro run very hot.

OP for internet, emails, the forums, typing papers and such, the Air is plenty. Just make sure you know what the screen sizes look like.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Used to have a macbook pro and I absolutely loved it. Never had a problem running it with photoshop or anything. Have had it for almost 9 years and if I really wanted to I could still get on it and use it. Have never used an air in my life though so I am biased lol. I feel if I had the air I would be scared I would break it with how thin and such that thing is.
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Get the 13 inch MacBook Pro. Get a hard shell for it and buy Microsoft office for it. It's much better then pages and keynote.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

To the top
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty View Post
When I run photoshop or iMovie on my Pro, my mac still lags and it gets super hot after 15 minutes of use. The space needed to run that is still pretty big even for a Pro, imagine what would happen on an Air? It gets like really hot and the computers get slow after a while.
Ive been trying different surfaces when I stream on my macbook. Ive noticed a huge difference between an acrylic table top vs leaning it on a soft cloth/leather material. I think the aluminim body retains a lot of heat
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Ive been trying different surfaces when I stream on my macbook. Ive noticed a huge difference between an acrylic table top vs leaning it on a soft cloth/leather material. I think the aluminim body retains a lot of heat
To add to this, those solid shell cases (Speck, InCase, etc) are horrible. When we have clients who walk in with those on their MacBooks, we always suggest they remove them for better cooling.

MacBook Pros and Airs cool along the black strip that takes up most of the bottom edge of the screen. If that area is blocked UNDER the laptop when opened, they simply do not have the ability to stay cool.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #24 (permalink)

if you go with the pro...go with the retina display. it does notttt disappoint
Old 11-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
To add to this, those solid shell cases (Speck, InCase, etc) are horrible. When we have clients who walk in with those on their MacBooks, we always suggest they remove them for better cooling.

MacBook Pros and Airs cool along the black strip that takes up most of the bottom edge of the screen. If that area is blocked UNDER the laptop when opened, they simply do not have the ability to stay cool.
oh...that might be why, thanks. I have a Speck case on it, thanks for the heads up!