Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: Would you be bothered by this situation?
Yes 31 56.36%
No 9 16.36%
Don't care either way! 15 27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Your thoughts on e-cigs?

So I know these vapor e-cigs are the new "fad" and apparently also a positive solution for some smokers as an alternative?

Anyways, regular cigarettes are banned here in just about every "indoor" establishment.

At work, my boss has allowed one of the employees to use his e-cig at his desk. I know it's only water vapor and it's harmless ... at least I think? .... but I find it irritating and unprofessional. I don't enjoy the random "flavors" I have to smell. But I also understand it's essentially the same as someone using scented hand lotions or a candle.

Whether or not it's actual smoke and/or harmful, it's unprofessional in it's behavior in the workplace. I also must add that I am 100% ANTI-SMOKING and have never smoked in my life. I think it's disgusting and revolting. So I may be a bit biased. But in this scenario, I'm doing my best to be unbiased

Now some of you may agree, some of you may disagree, some of you might not care either way or have a different opinion entirely! Please vote & explain!
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Due to new findings by the FDA, there may be a reason for concern. Saw on the news the other night that several of the popular e-cig brands contained chemicals such as antifreeze in the "harmless" vapor smoke. The FDA even goes as far to say that smoking regular cigarettes may be less detrimental to one's health than smoking the e-cigs until new findings have been established & released to the general public. Nicotine patches & gum is the most effective and safest route for quitting smoking, IMO.
I can only ship within the U.S. Sorry. PM me! I often forget to check back with threads I've posted in! http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/YoItsWilson/library/Football-Autos%20and%20Patch%20Autos?sort=3&page=1 Pending: kissmaster, geezhound, sportscards9010
UK_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do I smoke: yes

Do I think you should be able to smoke e-Cig's in the workplace: HELL no

I agree it's unprofessional. The least your coworker could do would be to take a walk into a hallway or some closet to do it. I don't feel anyone should be subjected to one's own personal 'habits'. Whether it's e-Cigs, or you fielding personal calls at work. It has NO place there.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unprofessional and pathetic.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just started vaping, to help quit smoking, and I like it. I still go outside because a) it still has nicotine in the vapor, but even once I ramp down to zero nicotine, b) it has a strong smell. Admittedly, it does smell more like a scented candle than a cigarette, but no one should be forced to put up with it while at work. Forget appearing unprofessional, it's just plain inconsiderate of your co-workers

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

My employer does not allow candles, incense or other scents. They've been known to send people home if they show up with too much perfume. I don't like to smell that crap all day. Those who smoke are given a tiny area outside to smoke in and are told to wash down before coming back to work.

I've read that regulations are coming for these devices, in terms of public use. Cigarettes are fortunately banned just about everywhere in Florida, but at football games I'm seeing more and more people blowing puffs from these devices.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very unprofessional

However, I don't think the second hand for these has any real affect on others though, but I do think they are probably worse in the long run for those using them than real cigarettes.

There is no standards out there for these things and most have had no real studies done on them, so nobody really knows what goes into them.

That to me is just crazy
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Do I smoke: yes

Do I think you should be able to smoke e-Cig's in the workplace: HELL no

I agree it's unprofessional. The least your coworker could do would be to take a walk into a hallway or some closet to do it. I don't feel anyone should be subjected to one's own personal 'habits'. Whether it's e-Cigs, or you fielding personal calls at work. It has NO place there.
this is how i feel about the situation.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Not a chance in hell I'd let any of my employees do that. I can't believe your boss would allow it whether they agree with it or not. It's a horrible example to set in a work environment.

I don't even like seeing my employees smoking in their cars in the parking lot - clients don't need to be seeing that.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Unprofessional yes. It's plain weird.

Harmful... probably not.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have no knowledge as to the harmfulness of the ecig vapor. However, it's exceedingly unprofessional to allow this in the workplace. Absolutely no different than dipping or chewing tobacco at your desk.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

ment to vote for yes...
my bad

but thats just annoying
coyne81486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

I believe the government.....
How many chems in cigarettes?
I quit smoking 7 months ago due to the use of an e-cig and I am on the lowest lvl of nicotine and constantly use the 0 nicotine.

Obviously I would treat using it the same way I would a cigarette.

The lack of information is an issue as to what type of device you are using.
Here is the list of ingredients in mine.
Nicotine
80/20 mixture of both Vegetable Glycerin and Propyln Glycol.
flavorings are comprised of all natural, gluten and sugar free food grade flavors
The ingredients in the solution have been SGS certified and FDA approved as safe.

Cigarettes:
The List of Additives in Cigarettes - Additives in Cigarettes
MAKE SURE TO READ ALL THREE PAGES!

I think its fairly simple to see the difference.

There may be a concern.. but I know I have eliminated 99.9% of the crap I was putting into my body.

The used rbst in cows and people drink their milk and they did not do studies on that.

Last edited by thor_rider08; 11-14-2013 at 08:24 AM.
thor_rider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for all the comments guys! Glad to know I'm not being unfair here!

I also want to mention I work in one of the most profitable companies in the US, in the IT corporate headquarters department.

The guy in question basically leans back in his chair behind me all day and "vapes" throughout the day. Now his "buddies" at work also got interested. A few of them now have these at work too.

I don't want to be a whiny PITA at work, but was thinking of emailing my boss on it. I'd rather not confront the employee, because I try not to confront anyone in the work place unless VERY necessary, as it's someone you see/deal with every single day ... not seeing eye-to-eye for the rest of the foreseeable work future is not a good choice IMO.

As for what % of nicotine is in the e cigs they are using, I'm not sure ... nobody can really know... So I think that's unfair if there IS nicotine and it IS in the vapor that I'm being forcibly exposed to second-hand smoke!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Go to your HR department DIRECTLY. DO NOT tell your boss about it, as he was the enabler to begin with. Everything will (should) remain anonymous that way.

That's what I would do
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Do you have the ability to contact HR through some type of anonymous system? They could have someone in health/safety stoll through the office unannounced.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I went ahead and (before seeing your posts) sent an email directly to my boss.

It basically said I'm bothered by the few people doing this knowing it can potentially be harmful, and it's also extremely unprofessional.

I also included this link: http://www.businessgrouphealth.org/p...9-0b67bb588666

I think my boss is a pretty cool guy, and he got thrown into a horrible situation here at work. The place I work at is falling apart, and I foresee it being outsourced in the near future. I didn't want to go "over-his-head", as a sign of respect.

Plus, I'll be quitting this job in a month or so to pursue a new career. So it's only a short term problem/annoyance for me.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Paul, this is moot and belays the underlying tone of your annoyance.
Quote:
I'm bothered by the few people doing this knowing it can potentially be harmful,
You do not have a health concern, you have a fair concern and that's mildly petty in my view of things.

I also think professionalism is subjective to the actual work and involvement with the public being done.
Sitting in a cubical is not something I would consider effecting a professional or unprofessional view in-relation to the employee's work ethics and abilities...when considering vapping.

Ask to be moved.....I mean, it's like my Dad used to do. The ass would sit close to the smoking section and then bitch about the smokers instead of sitting somewhere else...oh, it's his rights ! and that is how so many people are.
I am a considerate smoker. I do not smoke around non-smokers, I do not smoke in my house or around my children. If I am sitting in public, outdoors and smoking and someone makes a sound,look or any such disparaging sign towards me for smoking, I will turn,smile and tell them to F*off.

So many people are now programmed and people also like to pick and choose what is and is not a sign of a society of self entitled pansies

If the vapor bothers you, ask to move or ask him to be moved.

A side note...when I go to the houses of people who smoke, so gross to smell it in the house and I will step out side to smoke

The smoking issue could have been handled a lot better over the last 25 years.....but that is our society now. Everyone is entitled to a feeling on every issue and people who do not listen to it are insensitive and less than human.....sort of like someone randomly tossing out the " I am a veteran" and of course...the obligatory " I am thankful for your service"...or someone dies and people have to act a specific way or even this whole new bully campaign.

Ok, tangent there paul,sorry for cluttering your thread up :P Cinch up those balls and be a man. Don't pussyfoot but don't feel your rights are all that matters....compromise....or go that path the world is hurdling towards and piss and moan until you get your way

TTFN
Old 11-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post

You do not have a health concern, you have a fair concern and that's mildly petty in my view of things.

I also think professionalism is subjective to the actual work and involvement with the public being done.
Sitting in a cubical is not something I would consider effecting a professional or unprofessional view in-relation to the employee's work ethics and abilities...when considering vapping.

Ask to be moved.....I mean, it's like my Dad used to do. The ass would sit close to the smoking section and then bitch about the smokers instead of sitting somewhere else...oh, it's his rights ! and that is how so many people are.
I am a considerate smoker. I do not smoke around non-smokers, I do not smoke in my house or around my children. If I am sitting in public, outdoors and smoking and someone makes a sound,look or any such disparaging sign towards me for smoking, I will turn,smile and tell them to F*off.

So many people are now programmed and people also like to pick and choose what is and is not a sign of a society of self entitled pansies

A side note...when I go to the houses of people who smoke, so gross to smell it in the house and I will step out side to smoke

The smoking issue could have been handled a lot better over the last 25 years.....but that is our society now. Everyone is entitled to a feeling on every issue and people who do not listen to it are insensitive and less than human.....sort of like someone randomly tossing out the " I am a veteran" and of course...the obligatory " I am thankful for your service"...or someone dies and people have to act a specific way or even this whole new bully campaign.

Ok, tangent there paul,sorry for cluttering your thread up :P Cinch up those balls and be a man. Don't pussyfoot but don't feel your rights are all that matters....compromise....or go that path the world is hurdling towards and piss and moan until you get your way

TTFN
Wait, you're against vaccines because they have "toxic chemicals", but you're a smoker?! You are quite the comedy!

BTW, just because you don't smoke in front of your kids doesn't mean you are not exposing them to your ridiculously awful habit: What is third-hand smoke? Is it hazardous?: Scientific American
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post

TTFN
Interesting reply...

Why should Paul have to move? Stick the other guy in the corner.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

I would still pursue it with HR. Just because you report it, doesn't mean your boss gets in trouble - it just means there's an official record with someone that's paid to care about those types of things. It's an HR issue, no doubt.

I can't fap at work, so why should he be able to smoke vapors at work?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

I got banned from a bar I really liked because of a douchebag with an e-cig. He kept smoking right next next to me and blowing it on me. I asked him nicely twice to stop it and his meathead response was "it's cool bro, I'm not smoking a stogie I'm vaping." I told him that isn't the god damn point, I don't want it blown in my face and if he does it again he will regret it. Of course like a defiant douche, he intentionally blew it in my face. So I grabbed it out of his mouth, dropped it on the floor and smashed it with my boot. Told him something to the effect of "lesson learned, dick."

Instead of trying to fight me (which I fully expected), he goes and whines to the owner. So I ended up getting banned
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
Wait, you're against vaccines because they have "toxic chemicals", but you're a smoker?! You are quite the comedy!

BTW, just because you don't smoke in front of your kids doesn't mean you are not exposing them to your ridiculously awful habit: What is third-hand smoke? Is it hazardous?: Scientific American
Right on point. Too funny. Now just wait for the Gibberish report that will conflict with the evidence provided. Let the hunt begin.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote