Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buddy got arrested last night...

Without going into all the detail, wife has been hooked on drugs for a year or so, she finally moved out a couple of weeks ago.

She went to his house yesterday, and said he choked her and threatened her with a baseball bat. Got arrested for DV-Assault and he now has a restraining order against him for her and his 2 boys.

His bail/first appearance is in about an hour, which I plan on Bonding him out if he isn't released (which is likely).

I know this dude, no way he could have done this.

My question is, what would stop any person from going into their bathroom, scratching their neck, and saying they were assaulted? I've known both of them for over 15 years, they are my oldest friends. Maybe I'm in a bit of disbelief, but I would swear on anything this guy wouldn't hurt anyone.
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
Without going into all the detail, wife has been hooked on drugs for a year or so, she finally moved out a couple of weeks ago.

She went to his house yesterday, and said he choked her and threatened her with a baseball bat. Got arrested for DV-Assault and he now has a restraining order against him for her and his 2 boys.

His bail/first appearance is in about an hour, which I plan on Bonding him out if he isn't released (which is likely).

I know this dude, no way he could have done this.

My question is, what would stop any person from going into their bathroom, scratching their neck, and saying they were assaulted? I've known both of them for over 15 years, they are my oldest friends. Maybe I'm in a bit of disbelief, but I would swear on anything this guy wouldn't hurt anyone.
A few things. If he didn't do it then investigators will look at the bruises on her neck. They will be able to tell if they were from hands first of all, next they will be able to tell if it was self inflicted or not . First wait for that and go from there. I assume someone like a doctor is looking into the injuries correct?
Gbulldogs1010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd stay out of it completely.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
That's another good idea. Either way the outcome will affect u in a bad way. If he is guilty u will be upset. If he is innocent u will be angry at his wife and it will just be a mess
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

If his record is clean, he will just get prohbation and be forced into anger management classes.

He better plead not guilty so the prosacuter can offer him a plea deal.

At sentencing, his wife can ask the judge to remove the restraining order.

Now if this is a second time offense, then he is looking at a felony.

At least that's how Michigan Works.

Edit... I know someone who went through something similar a few years back.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
I'd do this as well until you know more about the situation - especially if both are your friends
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh yah, and the person got his record wiped clean and has no convictions after he completed the tasks the Judge ordered him to do.

Pretty much the Judge gave him 1 get out of Jail Free card.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

im not sure on the laws for that state but in tn, it is still their house, regardless if she has been staying somewhere else (just to comment on you saying she came to his house). if an officer can determine a primary aggressor in a domestic assault, the officer SHALL arrest (no ifs, ands, or buts about it). self inflicted wounds have been blamed on the innocent before and its not right, but if the officers have nothing other to go on but the wounds on the female, and her story matches it and the other party has no marks, it doesnt leave the officers much choice. strangulation in tn has been upgraded to agg. assault as well. based on the brief info you gave, if the officers did not arrest your friend, they could be fired and be sued in federal court. i assume the restraining order is something like a conditional release (conditions the defendant agrees to so they can be released, usually no contact with the victim and cant go anywhere the victim is likely to be) in tn. its only active until they go to court and if she wants something more permanent she would have to get an order of protection (used in tn and other states but maybe not all). just because he has been arrested, it doesnt mean he is guilty. that will be up to if the wife pursues legal action, if the state picks up the charges, and what the judge determines. the whole reason it is a shall arrest offense is for the safety of the victim. there is usually at mandatory 8-12 hold (magistrate sets this) so that the victim has enough time to gather personal belongings and goes to a safe place where the offender cant hurt them.

Last edited by pingbling23; 11-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.
pingbling23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

You don't really know somebody. If someone is a wife beater do you think they want to make it public knowledge? Sometimes it is obvious but a lot of the time you don't know how someone acts behind closed doors. Look at all the times some nut murders a person and the neighbors and and friends just can't believe it.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Depending on state. Kids were involved.. When police is called normally either the person they received the call on or both must go. If both go, then kids could be taken away.

Maybe he went so that didn't happen

Source: my neighbor
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera8 View Post
Depending on state. Kids were involved.. When police is called normally either the person they received the call on or both must go. If both go, then kids could be taken away.

Maybe he went so that didn't happen

Source: my neighbor
where are you from, im glad its not like this in tn.
pingbling23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
You don't really know somebody. If someone is a wife beater do you think they want to make it public knowledge? Sometimes it is obvious but a lot of the time you don't know how someone acts behind closed doors. Look at all the times some nut murders a person and the neighbors and and friends just can't believe it.

exactly, you only know your friend when he is behaving. You don't know what he is like with a girl when they are alone (unless you have surveillance or a creepy peeping tom!). A lot of us have sworn that friends wouldn't have it in them to hurt us and then stab us in the back, we might think family members are cool until we find out they talked crap behind your back. Many people can't tell if someone is a ticking time bomb. People are shocked when a really nice guy in their neighborhood is a convicted sex offender or just explodes and murders their family. We don't know if a popular kid from a good home and good grades is contemplating suicide when they're alone.

Don't get me wrong you can go ahead and say you don't think that he has it in him but honestly you might only know a small percentage of how he is or only know how he interacts around you and your friends
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

He was released from jail, no bail needed. His restraining order is against his wife only, not the children.

After hearing both sides of it, even from the oldest son who witnessed it, She was high and when he (my buddy) put his arm out to stop her, she started yelling that he was going to choke her, LEFT, then called the police.

His son said he never even touched her. SMDH.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

This is a messy and tricky situation anyway you look at it. Props to you for wanting to bail him out, I would most likely do the same thing. But I wonder if time apart is what they need.... Like I said, very slippery situation. If they're both your friends, and especially that there are children involved, I would advise him to take that little vacation and cool down, and then seek treatment afterwards. Better than coming out too soon, and most likely getting into more trouble. Heck, he's already arrested, so not like it gets any worst.

Hard to decide, but I say, time apart does more good than bad. Treatment after is a must though, for both!

Good luck.

It's all about the 76ers in 2015...
SportsItUpCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbulldogs1010 View Post
A few things. If he didn't do it then investigators will look at the bruises on her neck. They will be able to tell if they were from hands first of all, next they will be able to tell if it was self inflicted or not . First wait for that and go from there. I assume someone like a doctor is looking into the injuries correct?
This is definately NOT true. I have a DV charge on my record that I didnt do. Your giving investigators to much credit for stuff they should do but most of them dont. They dont care about anything but getting a conviction just like prosecutors.
ima_do_me213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

He was released from jail, no bail needed. His restraining order is against his wife only, not the children.

After hearing both sides of it, even from the oldest son who witnessed it, She was high and when he (my buddy) put his arm out to stop her, she started yelling that he was going to choke her, LEFT, then called the police.

His son said he never even touched her. SMDH.
If thats the case he can have his son subpoenaed to court and the charges should be drop and they will pick up charges against his ex for falsification of a police report.
ima_do_me213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_do_me213 View Post
If thats the case he can have his son subpoenaed to court and the charges should be drop and they will pick up charges against his ex for falsification of a police report.
So he called me last night to tell me she was at his place, threatening her oldest son. Told him to call the police and I ran over to his place.

Police told us the same thing. Told him to get a restraining order against her for the kids, and to have his son at his court appearance. We are getting more optimistic about resolving it, and you are right, they need time away from her.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
So he called me last night to tell me she was at his place, threatening her oldest son. Told him to call the police and I ran over to his place.

Police told us the same thing. Told him to get a restraining order against her for the kids, and to have his son at his court appearance. We are getting more optimistic about resolving it, and you are right, they need time away from her.
Yep, only a matter of time before she does something stupid.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Yep, only a matter of time before she does something stupid.
Ummm...I think that point already arrived.

Andy Dufresne
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

Are you sure you don't live in Maryland? There is an estranged couple at my kids daycare that fits the description of your friend/wife exactly. They live apart, yet the mother tries to trash the husband behind his back anytime she gets the chance. I suspect she is a Meth addict.

"Would you like to touch my monkey? Touch him! Touch my monkey!"
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

i knew a guy pretty well that I worked with a few years ago. He was cool, but had a bit of a temper. Never thought it would get serious though, as he always cooled down pretty quickly.

he shot and killed his baby mama a few weeks ago. never saw that coming.

just saying, people are full of surprises.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i knew a guy pretty well that I worked with a few years ago. He was cool, but had a bit of a temper. Never thought it would get serious though, as he always cooled down pretty quickly.

he shot and killed his baby mama a few weeks ago. never saw that coming.

just saying, people are full of surprises.
I also know someone who is sitting in jail because he used self defense at a bar he worked at and killed someone during a scuffle when trying to kick the guy out after last call.

now he was not the best of people, but murder was not in his nature. he had a new wife or fiance and a bunch of kids, not to mention the rest of his family.

every day on the news they are interviewing people who said...I never saw it in him, I never knew, etc.

I had one of those recently with a guy who delivers the news papers, found out he has a huge temper and is an mental abuser of women. I never would have suspected, I've even caught him outside of work hours and he was always the same w/me.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
Ummm...I think that point already arrived.
I meant much worse than this.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_do_me213 View Post
This is definately NOT true. I have a DV charge on my record that I didnt do. Your giving investigators to much credit for stuff they should do but most of them dont. They dont care about anything but getting a conviction just like prosecutors.
Ok I may be wrong. I took that idea from tv but I guess they can't do that haha