Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

God I miss the 90's...
BoxBreaker72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBreaker72 View Post
God I miss the 90's...
Yeah, I've officially entered that stage where I go to a restaurant and the people working behind the counter were born before I went through puberty. So I'm feeling the weight of age creepin' up on me.
Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

My fridge died so the landlord supplied me with a brand new one that is taller, so more magnet space! To commemorate, I purchased four more magnets for the collection, which I'll post here once they arrive.

Any suggestions that you'd guys like to make for future purchases?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Those look awesome!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkbrown View Post
Those look awesome!
Thanks! Re-arranged them slightly on the new fridge so they're more even.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #31 (permalink)

My fridge died so I have a brand new one thanks to the landlord. I broke it in with some new additions!

Ghouls 'N Ghosts. I prefer this to the original. Both had great art, though this was the only one I owned.

Centipede on the 2600 and Street Fighter II. SF2 is a classic. Centipede has a great cover. I love the old Atari covers.

Contra 3 was one of my first SNES titles that I owned, and it was a great one. Easily the best in the Contra series, in my opinion. Great music and terrific art, which translates to the box art itself. 3-D WorldRunner was awesome. I loved this game as a kid, even though it was controller-shattering in difficulty. Finally, the Space Harrier poster is for my newfound love of the original arcade game. I loved this poster, so I thought it would be fitting since I fell in love with the arcade game rendition, not a console re-imagining to fit within their restrictions.

There's the newest layout.

Last edited by Zoop; 02-22-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #32 (permalink)

You should do a complete black box NES set. That would look cool!

As for a classic in the box art department, you can't go wrong with Final Fight on the SNES! It has everything:

Epic background kung fu action
Epic mustache
Epic staredown
Mohawk
Skull earrings
Chain necklace

And it's Capcom!

Nice collection, I love retro games, grew up on NES. I still vividly remember opening the UPS box from my uncle and a golden light emitting from the depths of the box...could it be? YES!!! The Legend of Zelda!

KCCO!!
timfsu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfsu2k View Post
You should do a complete black box NES set. That would look cool!

As for a classic in the box art department, you can't go wrong with Final Fight on the SNES! It has everything:

Epic background kung fu action
Epic mustache
Epic staredown
Mohawk
Skull earrings
Chain necklace

And it's Capcom!

Nice collection, I love retro games, grew up on NES. I still vividly remember opening the UPS box from my uncle and a golden light emitting from the depths of the box...could it be? YES!!! The Legend of Zelda!
Final Fight was the Beez Kneez especially in the arcade/Sega CD which had guy as a playable character instead of just Cody/Haggar

I remember my mom giving me a box from the mail that had SNES Zelda and the strategy guide. I was happy to get a game but unhappy at the same time since I was more of a double Dragon/ Mario platformer player.. I tried Zelda and got hooked instantly.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #34 (permalink)

I recall when I had strep throat as a kid. I was in tears all week, so my mom brought me Super Metroid. I was never huge on the Metroid series as a kid, but I was happy for the distraction from the feeling of swallowing razor blades. Man, that game delivered the atmosphere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, moms know best.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

And look what arrived! Newest additions:

Golden Axe II. Classic artwork and it goes well with my "filling out a series" thing I've subconsciously got going on, apparently.

Top-center: Cyborg Justice. A difficult, repetitive beat 'em up that I adored as a kid where you get to build your own robot to fight other robots.

Middle-center: Wizards & Warriors on the NES. Near and dear childhood classic that my cousin had, but I never did. We played the crap out of it.

Mid-right: Atomic Robo-Kid. This was a phenomenal shooter that allowed you to go at your own pace, as opposed to what most shooters do in shoving you to the right of the map. Imagine Contra with a floating protagonist and you get the gist of it.

Lower-left: Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers. Tremendous licensed Capcom game, which was right in their wheelhouse back twenty-plus years ago. I'll probably pick up a few more of these along the way (Castle of Illusion, Mickey Mousecapades, and Magical Quest are all options.

Lower-right: Bubble Bobble, the first game I ever picked out for myself at KB Toys way back on the day my mom took me to the mall and bought me an NES. If you were ever in a KB Toys (many of you are probably too young, which makes me feel mega old), they had all of the games locked away behind the counter, so you'd have to request for them to pull the game out and you'd check out the back of the box to see what it was about. I remembered mulling over which game to buy for a good 10 minutes until mom got fed up, and I went with an excellent choice. My other choices that I can remember were Bionic Commando (never played it as a result), 1943, Castlevania II, Ghostbusters (dodged a bullet momentarily... imagine THAT being THE FIRST NES GAME YOU EVER PLAYED... yuck), Paperboy, and Xevious. I'm sure there were others but my memory's not quite THAT good.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #36 (permalink)

Currently taking suggestions for the next batch. Anybody? Thinking of getting about four more Atari 2600 ones, two of which will be Adventure and Haunted House.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #37 (permalink)

Here are the newest entries into the collection...

Mega Man X. I remember camping outside of Babbages for this game with my mom. They refused to sell us one since the manager pre-sold them under the table, so we went on a rat race to find a copy. All three malls we went to are now closed, which bums me out. My generation has seen a lot of businesses fail.

metalcanvasmagnets threw in the Twisted Metal one when I inquired if he could do it as a custom for a future order. Classy guy. Excitebike was another game I got at a now-defunct business, Children's Palace. Packs of Garbage Pail Kids and that game were had that Fall day.

Turtles in Time was a lot of fun. It's probably my favorite of the licensed side-scrolling beat-'em-ups, though I always liked Captain America & the Avengers for the Genesis, too. Simpsons Arcade was also pretty awesome.

These were my customs this time around. I needed a few more Atari games since I think they took some amazing artistic license back in the day, given the great departure from what the actual games presented in contrast to the art itself. Adventure was my first video game ever. I was almost 3 years old. Haunted House soon followed. Both are surprisingly good games.

Mighty Final Fight is an amazing side-scrolling beat-'em-up for the Nintendo (the best on that system, in my opinion). I recently found a near-complete version of it in my collection. Bomberman and the Adventures of Lolo were two of my first NES games that I got for my birthday that year. Both hold up well today.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #38 (permalink)

where do you get these things?

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
where do you get these things?
I buy all of mine from metalcanvasmagnets on eBay. He is a nice guy. Tell 'em Zoop sent ya.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #40 (permalink)

i just favorited him as a seller. hopefully the gf will allow some of these on our fridge.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #41 (permalink)

Newest additions for April:

Those who know me personally know that I had a Japanese Nintendo 64, and these were my three favorite games for that import console. I love that the Mario Kart 64 art has "Kinopio" on it, which is Toad's Japanese name. It'd amused me to no end when he'd scream "KEY-NO-PO-OH!" back in the day. The F-Zero X art is among my all-time favorite box arts.

Dig Dug. The first 2600 game that I truly fell in love with. Fun, ugly art.

I added to my line of horror titles with Monster in My Pocket (loved these toys as a kid, as I also loved M.U.S.C.L.E. men, too) and Monster Party, the latter of which has some of the best box art ever, as well.

Added my first two PlayStation 2 titles with this batch, as several more will be on the way. As some of you may know, I'm not very good at most games but I am a world-class Katamari expert. I held numerous North American records in Beautiful Katamari without much devotion for the longest time before inevitably being ousted. Twisted Metal Black is a fantastic game--the best of the Twisted Metal series--and had memorable box art.

Finally, the wall of Data East, 1976-2003. Data East was known for awesome box art and awesome NES ports of arcade games (see all of the "ARCADE HIT!" stickers in the lower left-hand side of each magnet?). Kid Niki: Radical Ninja, Karnov, Rampage (my favorite game of the lot), and Burgertime all had awesome box art and were very memorable games.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #42 (permalink)

Just bought a few and put in a request for the game cube cover of Skies of Arcadia.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triphunter
Just bought a few and put in a request for the game cube cover of Skies of Arcadia.
Awesome man, which ones did you get?

Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #44 (permalink)

NES: Zelda and smb 2
SNES: chrono trigger
Gensis: toe jam and earl and phantasy star 3

Basically picked a few of the games I enjoyed playing when I was younger.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #45 (permalink)

Katamari is the best ever! You held records?

http://www.comc.com/Users/SpastikMooss
SpastikMooss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triphunter View Post
NES: Zelda and smb 2
SNES: chrono trigger
Gensis: toe jam and earl and phantasy star 3

Basically picked a few of the games I enjoyed playing when I was younger.
Great choices! Chrono Trigger is my all-time favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
Katamari is the best ever! You held records?
Yeah, I actually had a popular YouTube channel to help people complete certain stages before it got phished and deleted. I got accused of cheating due to how fast I can move the katamari, haha.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #47 (permalink)

Monster in my Pocket was the best! My sister and I used to play that game like crazy. I would rock out to the player select and the music to the first stage. Such a gem.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
Yeah, I actually had a popular YouTube channel to help people complete certain stages before it got phished and deleted. I got accused of cheating due to how fast I can move the katamari, haha.
Man that is too cool.

http://www.comc.com/Users/SpastikMooss
SpastikMooss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther252 View Post
Monster in my Pocket was the best! My sister and I used to play that game like crazy. I would rock out to the player select and the music to the first stage. Such a gem.
Nobody ever talks about it, either. One of those great NES licensed platformers.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #50 (permalink)

i LOCE IT! THAT SUPER MARIO ONE IS legit! nice collection
troygoesdeep is offline   Reply With Quote