Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My newest collection: Video Game box art magnets

Hey guys and gals. I have no idea if this will interest a single person on here, but I hope so!

So I've been a gamer now for 26 years and it's had a tremendous impact on my life, such as teaching me how to read and write. I eventually became a journalist in the entertainment field, so naturally I'm thankful to my years of gaming for opening a door of opportunity I never otherwise would have found.

Back when I was a kid, gaming magazines were new and could only go so far in swaying your decision at the video store, or (if you were really lucky) at Circuit City, Children's Palace, Babbages, or wherever your parents decided to let you pick out a game to purchase. We mostly went by what had the coolest cover. Sometimes this worked out, while other times it did not.

I became fascinated with gaming box art at a young age because of this. I ran out of wall space long ago, so I decided to grab some magnets off of eBay. This is what I've grabbed so far over the past couple of months to kickstart the collage, and I intend to add 2-6 per month until the entire side of the fridge is full.

The criteria is simple: I must either love the game, find the box art to be aesthetically pleasing, or simply have waves of nostalgia hit me when I see it. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them and simply shoot the **** about old box art and games. The point of this stuff is to bring back good memories and bring forth discussion, y'know?

Current magnets:
3-D WorldRunner
Adventure
Adventures of Lolo
Altered Beast
Atomic Robo-Kid
Bomberman
Bubble Bobble
Burgertime (NES)
Centipede (Atari 2600)
Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers
Chrono Trigger
Clash at Demonhead
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Cyborg Justice
Dig Dug
DuckTales
Excitebike
F-Zero X
F-Zero X (JPN)
Ghouls 'N Ghosts (Genesis)
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Haunted House
Jumping Flash! (Original PlayStation "long box" style)
Karnov
Katamari Damacy
Kid Niki: Radical Ninja
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mario Kart 64 (JPN)
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mega Man (Japanese Famicon version)
Mega Man (European PAL version)
Mega Man 2 (European PAL version)
Mega Man X
Mendel Palace
Mighty Final Fight
Monster in My Pocket
Monster Party
Pitfall (Atari 2600)
Rampage (NES)
Resident Evil (Original PlayStation "long box" style)
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Snow Brothers
Space Harrier (Arcade flyer)
Splatterhouse (Family Computer)
Splatterhouse (TurboGrafix 16)
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Super Mario 64 (JPN)
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
ToeJam & Earl
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal Black
Wizards & Warriors (NES)

UPDATED OVERALL PIC 2/22/14:

If you're interested in buying any for yourself, I highly recommend metalcanvasmagnets on eBay. He has been very kind and his work is impressive.

Here are some pictures:

All of the magnets from far away. Only one not better depicted in the top left Mega Man 1 Japanese box art.

Mega Man is one of my favorite series, and Mega Man 3 has my favorite box art of all-time. Depicted here is some foreign box art for the original two games.

Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid are two of my three favorite games of all-time. F-Zero X is also up there. A few other Mega Man boxes are visible here, too.

My mom surprised me by getting a copy of Splatterhouse on the TG16 back in the day. It was my first foray into horror. The box art scared me ****less. I got the full Splatterhouse set, since they're memorable. The TG16 and Family Computer (aww, look how cute) versions were custom jobs by the seller. The Family Computer was a lighthearted entry into the horror series.

I always loved old Sega Genesis box art. I felt Altered Beast had very strong box art, especially compared to the ho-hum game. It looks nicely alongside Resident Evil's very first box art.

Golden Axe falls in line with other old Genesis art. Clash at Demonhead had some awesome Roger Corman-esque early '80s sci-fi poster art, while Mendel Palace was an old favorite with ugly box art I grabbed more for my love of that game. ToeJam & Earl is my favorite Sega Genesis game.

Art overload! Jumping Flash was a nice representation of the fourth gen of popular gaming. Snow Brothers and DuckTales were both done by Greg Martin, who did MANY popular gaming box arts (including Sonic the Hedgehog), who died earlier this year. Tragic loss. Pitfall is an obvious classic, featuring the trademark Activision rainbow stripe (imagine COD with that these days). MK2 was always simple but powerful. Nintendo usually did first party art poorly, but SMK was an exception. A Link to the Past is my second favorite game of all-time. Saturday Night Slam Masters appeases my wrestling nerd AND Capcom nerd. Cameo by the Dawn of the Dead (my favorite movie) popsicle magnet!

What say ye? Epic waste of time and money, cool idea, or both? Let me know what YOU would add if it were your collection.

Last edited by Zoop; 04-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome games right there. I haven't played a lot of them but that looks pretty cool. My favorite one you have up there is resident evil. No other resident evil game will come close to being as good as that one was.
Bucket:http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/joceltics34/
joceltics34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's awesome! You know the way to my heart!

I have to get some. My wife takes up 60% of the fridge for her stuff and I need to beat her at that game.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
That's awesome! You know the way to my heart!

I have to get some. My wife takes up 60% of the fridge for her stuff and I need to beat her at that game.
Happy I could bring a smile to some faces with this. Be sure to go through the guy I linked and let him know ZooperBowl sent ya. He is a real stand-up guy and will do custom magnets if your box art isn't available (my TG16 Splatterhouse and FC Splatterhouse were customs, for examples). Friendly guy, glad I met him.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool beans! I'm getting at least a Zelda, paperboy, golden axe, toe jam and earl...

There's way too many for me to choose.
Thanks for linking me!
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joceltics34 View Post
Awesome games right there. I haven't played a lot of them but that looks pretty cool. My favorite one you have up there is resident evil. No other resident evil game will come close to being as good as that one was.
I was a huge on Resident Evil 2 and Code Veronica, too, can't lie. The original was unlike any other due to have slow-paced it was... Such intensity around every corner. Definitely try the GameCube remake, it captures the spirit of the original.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
Cool beans! I'm getting at least a Zelda, paperboy, golden axe, toe jam and earl...

There's way too many for me to choose.
Thanks for linking me!
Oooo, Paperboy. Nice one. My fiancée and I played the Paperboy arcade machine at the Galloping Ghost in Chicago while on vacation. It has a steering wheel! Haha.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
I was a huge on Resident Evil 2 and Code Veronica, too, can't lie. The original was unlike any other due to have slow-paced it was... Such intensity around every corner. Definitely try the GameCube remake, it captures the spirit of the original.
I've played every RE to date. I do like RE2, 3, and code Veronica. The awkward camera angles and puzzles made the game scary. The REmake was awesome. Now from the 4th one on, they aren't near as "scary".

I may have to look into these magnets though.
Bucket:http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/joceltics34/
joceltics34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joceltics34 View Post
I've played every RE to date. I do like RE2, 3, and code Veronica. The awkward camera angles and puzzles made the game scary. The REmake was awesome. Now from the 4th one on, they aren't near as "scary".

I may have to look into these magnets though.
My least favorite of the "old school" REs is easily RE0. That terrible item inventory system bonked the whole thing, in my opinion. I still enjoyed 4 and 5 (not so much 6), but I really had to detach the concept that they're Resident Evil games, because they're not. The lore gets muddied up and you've got just dreadful characters (yes, even by RE standards) roaming around sounding like the Three Stooges. Fun games, terrible everything else.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

those are awesome. I loved Pitfall back in the day.
bcw716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcw716 View Post
those are awesome. I loved Pitfall back in the day.
Me too. That, Adventure, and Haunted House were my first video games as a toddler.

Anybody have any recommendations, or want to share their favorite pieces of box art? In case you didn't know, Greg Martin passed away recent. He was the artist behind games like Sonic the Hedgehog, DuckTales, Adventure Island, and many more. You can see more of his work here in this tragic, nostalgic thread. Of my current magnets, he did the art for Snow Brothers and DuckTales.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

I had no idea they even made these. That's really neat. Your story relates to me a lot. Growing up we had to make one wise decision on our games (usually cover based) and if we got burned then you had to play that game until your next birthday/Christmas no matter how bad lol. I found a lot of gems by following my heart (Bubble Bobble, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Mystical Ninja), but I got burned many many times (Clayfighter, Ghostbusters, Cobra Triangle, anything involving super heroes)

I personally thought Double Dragon II had one of the coolest covers ever. I remember cracking the bone joint in one of my thumbs trying to mash my way through a boss. EVO Search for Eden was another cool cover that made me pick up the game on a whim. It turned out to be so hard, but I would play it over and over again.

If you were into Sega Saturn it had some of the best looking unique cover arts. Mr. Bones, Lunacy and D were all some very cool covers that luckily were good games to back up.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther252 View Post
I had no idea they even made these. That's really neat. Your story relates to me a lot. Growing up we had to make one wise decision on our games (usually cover based) and if we got burned then you had to play that game until your next birthday/Christmas no matter how bad lol. I found a lot of gems by following my heart (Bubble Bobble, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Mystical Ninja), but I got burned many many times (Clayfighter, Ghostbusters, Cobra Triangle, anything involving super heroes)

I personally thought Double Dragon II had one of the coolest covers ever. I remember cracking the bone joint in one of my thumbs trying to mash my way through a boss. EVO Search for Eden was another cool cover that made me pick up the game on a whim. It turned out to be so hard, but I would play it over and over again.

If you were into Sega Saturn it had some of the best looking unique cover arts. Mr. Bones, Lunacy and D were all some very cool covers that luckily were good games to back up.
Yeah, metalcanvasmagnets has a DD2 magnet. I've been debating adding that one, too. Remember to tell him ZooperBowl (my eBay handle) sent ya. He's a nice guy.

EVO was one I never got to play but I've watched my buddy do a Let's Play of it. Looks so interesting. Mystical Ninja was awesome! Great mention there. Clayfighter was fun in a terrible way, as I, too, made that mistake. Ghostbusters on the Genesis was a tremendous game, if you haven't played it definitely give it a try. VERY wacky and fun. Has the Mega Man-esque choose-your-stage thing going on with some amazing boss battles.

The Saturn gets a ton of crap (and some in justified) but it brought us Panzer Dragoon II, Guardian Heroes, and other gems.

I need to get some more covers from the PS2/XB/GC era, too. The older our generations of gaming have gotten, the worse the box art has gotten.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, metalcanvasmagnets has a DD2 magnet. I've been debating adding that one, too. Remember to tell him ZooperBowl (my eBay handle) sent ya. He's a nice guy.

EVO was one I never got to play but I've watched my buddy do a Let's Play of it. Looks so interesting. Mystical Ninja was awesome! Great mention there. Clayfighter was fun in a terrible way, as I, too, made that mistake. Ghostbusters on the Genesis was a tremendous game, if you haven't played it definitely give it a try. VERY wacky and fun. Has the Mega Man-esque choose-your-stage thing going on with some amazing boss battles.

The Saturn gets a ton of crap (and some in justified) but it brought us Panzer Dragoon II, Guardian Heroes, and other gems.

I need to get some more covers from the PS2/XB/GC era, too. The older our generations of gaming have gotten, the worse the box art has gotten.
That actually looks pretty cool! I may have to grab one, but I don't know what guests would say if they saw that hanging on my fridge lol. I was referring to the abominations from hell that were the NES versions. Never even knew there was a Genesis version. I guess the others scared me off completely.

I agree, but the "newer" era did have some neat covers as well. Haunting Ground in particular has a very cool cover IMO. As does Indigo Prophecy, Katamari, Nocturne, Resident Evil 4 and all 3 Fatal Frame's. Even though internet and what not is wildly available I still tend to make cover based purchases to this very day!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Different and cool Golden Axe and Altered Beast were rad!
imbaked247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Awesome find and thanks for sharing Zoop! I'm a huge fan of box art and these are sweet. I'll definitely have to check these out.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
That actually looks pretty cool! I may have to grab one, but I don't know what guests would say if they saw that hanging on my fridge lol. I was referring to the abominations from hell that were the NES versions. Never even knew there was a Genesis version. I guess the others scared me off completely.

I agree, but the "newer" era did have some neat covers as well. Haunting Ground in particular has a very cool cover IMO. As does Indigo Prophecy, Katamari, Nocturne, Resident Evil 4 and all 3 Fatal Frame's. Even though internet and what not is wildly available I still tend to make cover based purchases to this very day!
You gotta live your dork, man. Embrace it! My house looks like either A) a child molester's den, or B) a ten-year-old's fantasy. Thankfully I have an attractive fiancée of 13 years, so the neighbors get excited when they come over and see something that reminds them of their childhood. Your dorkiness can bring out the dorkiness of others and allow them to come out of their shell a bit.

The RE4 foreign covers are way better than ours, and Katamari's are always brilliant (I actually held numerous US records for Katamari, as a side note). Other great boxes from last gen include Shadow of the Colossus, ICO (Japanese), God of War, Animal Crossing, Zelda Four Swords, Pikmin 2. I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

This gen has been littered with covers that all look alike, where it's a background and some characters from the game up front and center (see: any Gears of War game). Very boring. Still a few good ones, though.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Any discount for a bulk order? We've been married for four years and we've never had anything on our fridge. If I got some, I'd want to cover the thing.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
Any discount for a bulk order? We've been married for four years and we've never had anything on our fridge. If I got some, I'd want to cover the thing.
He threw in some freebies my way for an order of a dozen, so if you're ordering over a hundred I am sure he'd hook you up. Again, let him know ZooperBowl sent you. If he's making billions because of my thread, I'd like for him to know who you got the idea from.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

So cool! Back when video games were actually challenging and you didn't get unlimited lives to complete the games
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
So cool! Back when video games were actually challenging and you didn't get unlimited lives to complete the games
And magically refill your health gauge by standing still for a few seconds.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
And magically refill your health gauge by standing still for a few seconds.
LOL...kids these days would curl into the fetal position trying to play some of those NES games.

I can't even count the number of NES controllers I went through after smashing them out of frustration...and they were not easy to come by...if memory serves me correctly you had to order them directly through Nintendo!
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL...kids these days would curl into the fetal position trying to play some of those NES games.

I can't even count the number of NES controllers I went through after smashing them out of frustration...and they were not easy to come by...if memory serves me correctly you had to order them directly through Nintendo!
My controller-smashing came in the PS2 era. I still have my original NES and controllers in working condition, believe it or not. I DID used to smack the **** out of my leg, though. That was my twitch of anger, I guess.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

I strongly considered assaulting my best friend when we were kids when he kept crashing into/killing me and our lives in that stupid cave level in Battle Toads. The best part was when we sat down and did a huddle and were so careful and meticulous that we just about beat the entire game. Team work!

I clenched my fist at the sky with tears streaming down my face whilst playing Castlevania II soooo many times. I once got so frustrated I drank a glass of milk (I'm lactose intolerant lol). I had no idea how to get past one level until like just a few years ago...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I strongly considered assaulting my best friend when we were kids when he kept crashing into/killing me and our lives in that stupid cave level in Battle Toads. The best part was when we sat down and did a huddle and were so careful and meticulous that we just about beat the entire game. Team work!

I clenched my fist at the sky with tears streaming down my face whilst playing Castlevania II soooo many times. I once got so frustrated I drank a glass of milk (I'm lactose intolerant lol). I had no idea how to get past one level until like just a few years ago...
God, that game was SO hard. My buddy (love him to death but) was terrible at games, so co-op experiences that thrived on being really good were never an option in my house, haha. We stuck to ToeJam & Earl since it was just the right amount of difficulty.