Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just started my Vinyl Collection!!!

Hey everybody, I'm pretty pumped tonight as I've finally started my Vinyl Collection. I've been throwing around the idea of collecting all of the original pressings of the Foo Fighters studio albums. I am a HUGE Foo Fighters fan and When I was at Fry's Electronics today I perused around there Vinyl section and struck gold! I found "Wasting Light","Echoes,Silence,Patience & Grace" and "Greatest Hits" all with Original Pressing!!!! I also picked up the Newest Soundgarden album. That sounds fantastic! I'm going to try to collect all of the original pressings. 3 Down, 7 more to go! There is something about Vinyl that gets me pumped up, especially when it's 180 gram recordings! If anyone knows of where I could find the other original pressings let me know please. Who else has vinyl on this board? I know there has to be someone that does. We could start the official Blowout Vinyl Community! Let me know of your recent pickups or LP's that are on your wishlist.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a humble record collection.

I pick up some here and there, most recently one like this one here.

Mostly for the awesome cover art, but the music caught my interest as well.

Paul Clayton Whaling Sailing Songs The Days of Moby Dick 1956 VG in Shrink | eBay
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I collect Johnny Cash vinyl from his days at Sun Records. Really cool stuff but I know zilch about them. Have no idea what pressings even are!

KCCO!!
timfsu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have hundreds of punk records, including tons of 1st presses of classic ones. Stacks and stacks that wont fit just sitting around the house. Out of curiosity, how did you determine your FF records are 1st press? For something that mass produced it seems like you would need to do some research on matrix numbers.
justbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbored View Post
I have hundreds of punk records, including tons of 1st presses of classic ones. Stacks and stacks that wont fit just sitting around the house. Out of curiosity, how did you determine your FF records are 1st press? For something that mass produced it seems like you would need to do some research on matrix numbers.
I went to originalpressing.com and put in the reference number for each album. They all came back as original pressings. I also could find this out by the copyright date. If you know when the album came out you should be able to find out.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've got to get you a picture of my collection. My collection is pretty big since moving here to Japan. Most can be bought for $1-10.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsfan33 View Post
I also could find this out by the copyright date
Just an fyi for you for future reference, this is not true, copyright stays the same. Also those numbers that that site uses wont necessarily tell you pressing info, in fact they normally wont. Those numbers don't change with presses/variations etc. You'll honestly have a hard time differentiating a 1st press for anything mass manufactured in the current era other than speculation. Not trying to rain on your parade just trying to educate you some. You might wanna check on a FF board or something like that as people there may have pressing info or ways to tell (possibilities include colored vinyl, lyric sheet/no lyric sheet, insert/no insert, etc).

RECORD COLLECTORS ARE PRETENTIOUS #@#@#@#@#@#@#@S

ps. 180 gram vinyl is a thick marketing ploy. Most current issues and almost all "classic" represses on 180 gram vinyl are mastered digitally instead of analog. Kinda cancels out the whole supposed sound appeal unless you like your music as thin as possible.

Last edited by justbored; 02-04-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just picked up Led Zepplin Physical Graffiti and Meddle by Pink Floyd
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbored View Post
Just an fyi for you for future reference, this is not true, copyright stays the same. Also those numbers that that site uses wont necessarily tell you pressing info, in fact they normally wont. Those numbers don't change with presses/variations etc. You'll honestly have a hard time differentiating a 1st press for anything mass manufactured in the current era other than speculation. Not trying to rain on your parade just trying to educate you some. You might wanna check on a FF board or something like that as people there may have pressing info or ways to tell (possibilities include colored vinyl, lyric sheet/no lyric sheet, insert/no insert, etc).

RECORD COLLECTORS ARE PRETENTIOUS #@#@#@#@#@#@#@S

ps. 180 gram vinyl is a thick marketing ploy. Most current issues and almost all "classic" represses on 180 gram vinyl are mastered digitally instead of analog. Kinda cancels out the whole supposed sound appeal unless you like your music as thin as possible.
This doesn't make sense. If the album came out in 2007 the Copyright date should be 2007. If the album came out in 97 and there is a 97 and a 2011 Copyright date on it you know then that it's a reissue. I also went to discogs and put in the reference Numbers and the Maxtrix's for all of them and they all came back correct.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have a pretty solid collection. around 100 punk/hardcore records. I spin them on a Debut carbon w/acrylic platter, Marantz PM6004 and KEF Q300 speakers

this pic is a few months old and i have the bottom right full now too.

collecting Mason Raymond, Cory Schneider, And Jordan Schroeder
nucks 4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Go here to find some vinyl:
Vinyl Records and Used CDs Marketplace - MusicStack
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have a few records, they're all listed on discog. We actually have two fantastic record stores in my neighborhood so I might be able to look for first presses for ya someday if you want! One is Shake It Records, the other is smaller but good and called Black Plastic.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a few records for sale..... Anyone interested in buying them!?!?

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a record player I'd like to hook up but don't know how. Embarrassing, I know. It was hooked up at some point but my dad had done it for me.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
This doesn't make sense. If the album came out in 2007 the Copyright date should be 2007. If the album came out in 97 and there is a 97 and a 2011 Copyright date on it you know then that it's a reissue. I also went to discogs and put in the reference Numbers and the Maxtrix's for all of them and they all came back correct.
Pressings do not necessarily change catalog number. Original pressing and repressings often come out in the same year. Sometimes even the matrix number will not change.

Sometimes the only way to identify the original is the label it came out on, cover art, or the color of the vinyl itself.

A good example is the Misfits Walk Among Us album.

The first is the original pressing, the second is second pressing.

Both came out the same year, have the same catalog number. Depending on the pressing, most likely has the same matrix number. Cover art is the only way to tell the difference.

Continuing to use the Misfits, sometimes the only way to tell is difference of pressing is the color of vinyl used. For example the original may be clear with blood splotches, the second may be yellow, while all subsequent pressing will be regular black vinyl.
greentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

I bought this a few months ago for $60. Its an original pressing from when they were on Taang records

Just started my Vinyl Collection!!!-image.jpg
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue138 View Post
I bought this a few months ago for $60. Its an original pressing from when they were on Taang records

Attachment 196557
You probably already have it, but if not here's the pressing info for that. One press of 500 on red, 500 on green, 500 on blue and 200 on black. Chokes rep must have kept Taang from sketchily repressing that. They ripped off tons of bands. If anyone needs pressing info on punk stuff let me know.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
I have a record player I'd like to hook up but don't know how. Embarrassing, I know. It was hooked up at some point but my dad had done it for me.
Do you have a stereo that has a "Phono" input?
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
I have a few records, they're all listed on discog. We actually have two fantastic record stores in my neighborhood so I might be able to look for first presses for ya someday if you want! One is Shake It Records, the other is smaller but good and called Black Plastic.
I think that is my new favorite site! They have all the different versions of the Foo Fighters albums and what year they came out and the Maxtrix's and bar code and what the box should look like. If you ever go back there let me know if you can find any Foo!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'll take a picture of my setup when I get home. Does anyone participate in Record Store Day? I've heard of it before because of a special LP that the FF released. I heard that record stores offer special deals and exclusive LP's and such. Anyone know any other info on it?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I think that is my new favorite site! They have all the different versions of the Foo Fighters albums and what year they came out and the Maxtrix's and bar code and what the box should look like. If you ever go back there let me know if you can find any Foo!
Thanks, I heard good things about that site from here so that's what I went with. I think I can share my collection if this link works - http://www.discogs.com/user/SpastikMooss/collection Shows you how random it is thanks to the donations I got that one time, plus a lot are from my father-in-law. Eventually I wanna try selling or trading these to fund awesome stuff, thinking Zeppelin!

And I'll definitely be back to those stores...I actually was at Shake It yesterday to grab a CD for my brother. But it's literally in the neighborhood, like a 10 minute walk, so I usually stop by one or both every couple of weeks.

Saw your other link too, record store day is HUGE for both these stores but I stupidly haven't been to one yet despite living here a few years. I'll hopefully be heading this year...I know both shops here do a lot of freebies and a lot of live music.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Pressings do not necessarily change catalog number. Original pressing and repressings often come out in the same year. Sometimes even the matrix number will not change.

Sometimes the only way to identify the original is the label it came out on, cover art, or the color of the vinyl itself.

A good example is the Misfits Walk Among Us album.

The first is the original pressing, the second is second pressing.

Both came out the same year, have the same catalog number. Depending on the pressing, most likely has the same matrix number. Cover art is the only way to tell the difference.

Continuing to use the Misfits, sometimes the only way to tell is difference of pressing is the color of vinyl used. For example the original may be clear with blood splotches, the second may be yellow, while all subsequent pressing will be regular black vinyl.
oh okay. Well I guess my next question is then how can you tell if it's original pressing or not? According to Discogs my boxes match up with the original packaging but does that mean it's original pressing? Is there a difference between the two?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
Thanks, I heard good things about that site from here so that's what I went with. I think I can share my collection if this link works - http://www.discogs.com/user/SpastikMooss/collection Shows you how random it is thanks to the donations I got that one time, plus a lot are from my father-in-law. Eventually I wanna try selling or trading these to fund awesome stuff, thinking Zeppelin!

And I'll definitely be back to those stores...I actually was at Shake It yesterday to grab a CD for my brother. But it's literally in the neighborhood, like a 10 minute walk, so I usually stop by one or both every couple of weeks.

Saw your other link too, record store day is HUGE for both these stores but I stupidly haven't been to one yet despite living here a few years. I'll hopefully be heading this year...I know both shops here do a lot of freebies and a lot of live music.
Wow, you've got some really good stuff in there!!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
I have a few records for sale..... Anyone interested in buying them!?!?
What do you have??
Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
oh okay. Well I guess my next question is then how can you tell if it's original pressing or not? According to Discogs my boxes match up with the original packaging but does that mean it's original pressing? Is there a difference between the two?
OP, trying to figure out if a modern day mass produced record is an "original press" is like trying to figure out which bowman base cards came off the production line first. They had to produce at least 50,000 of these in one shot I'd figure. Googling around some it does appear that the 1st FF LP does have some differentiating characteristics and was pressed in a smaller number and the OG press sells for good money. Beyond that, as Ive already stated, you may want to ask around on FF forums for any small telltale signs for the later MASS produced LP's. Again, catalog numbers, barcodes, copyright dates and sometimes even matrix numbers are not necessarily unique identifiers.

Last edited by justbored; 02-05-2014 at 01:37 PM.