Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about buying a PS4...

But don't like the idea of dishing out all of that cash for the system, controllers, online, etc... So, I was thinking of buying the refurbished deal on GameStop. You get a refurbished PS4, two controllers (one new one refurbished), and the 1 year Playstation Plus membership, all for $485. I only buy pre-owned games, and until MLB 14 The Show comes out, I'd only be interested in NBA 2k14, so in the end, it'd cost me around $600 for the bundle, games, and possibly a headset (I have ~$950 to spend).

Has anyone bought one of these packages or a refurbished system from GameStop before? If so, is it worth saving the extra cash as opposed to paying more for a brand new system? Is there a noticeable difference between the refurbished and new systems (other than physical look which I don't really care about)?
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

How much does a year of PP normally go for? The system and one controller is used when these would normally run $400 + 1 controller for $60. I'd personally just buy new with manufacturers warranty as you're only saving $20-30 on getting used.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
How much does a year of PP normally go for? The system and one controller is used when these would normally run $400 + 1 controller for $60. I'd personally just buy new with manufacturers warranty as you're only saving $20-30 on getting used.
The 1 year Playstation Plus is at $50 on GS, 3 months is $15 I believe. With that, just doing some quick math it looks as if I'd be saving $80, which is pretty much two pre-owned games.

If I were to buy new (no bundle - again, just quick math):

$400 for PS4
$50 for 1 Year PP
$120 for two controllers (not 100% positive whether the refurbished deal offers 2 or 1, it's a bit cloudy in the description)
$20 for headset
$105 for games ($60 for The Show new, $45 for NBA 2k14 used)

= $690

If I were to buy refurbished:

$485 for Refurbished Bundle (PS4, two controllers, 1 year PP)
$20 for headset
$105 for games

= $610

Last edited by centereacan06; 03-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you decide to buy used from Gamestop, make sure you also purchase their power plus rewards card. It's only $10, you get a 1 year subscription to Gameinformer and you would be earning a ton of points to put toward used games. I know you also save 5% on all pre-owned games with the card, you might save 5% on the system too since it's used (not positive though).
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2 View Post
If you decide to buy used from Gamestop, make sure you also purchase their power plus rewards card. It's only $10, you get a 1 year subscription to Gameinformer and you would be earning a ton of points to put toward used games. I know you also save 5% on all pre-owned games with the card, you might save 5% on the system too since it's used (not positive though).
I'd definitely look into doing that. Especially since, like I said, I almost always buy pre-owned games like a week after they come out.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
The 1 year Playstation Plus is at $50 on GS, 3 months is $15 I believe. With that, just doing some quick math it looks as if I'd be saving $80, which is pretty much two pre-owned games.

$400 for PS4
$50 for 1 Year PP
$120 for two controllers (not 100% positive whether the refurbished deal offers 2 or 1, it's a bit cloudy in the description)
$20 for headset

= $690

$20 for headset
$105 for games

= $610
Are you saying the GameStop bundle has 3 controllers? A new PS4 includes a controller.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
Are you saying the GameStop bundle has 3 controllers? A new PS4 includes a controller.
I think the refurbished bundle has 2 controllers, but the way they describe it is a little weird (makes you wonder). And you're right, I missed that about the new PS4.

So I guess it all comes down to whether or not I'd need a second controller for only $5 more, while also taking the risk and hoping there's no problem with the refurbished system.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

$400 for PS4
$50 for 1 Year PP
$20 for headset

= $690

$20 for headset
$105 for games

= $610

your going the refurbished route over brand new just to save 80 dollars....you get what you pay for..there was a flaw in the system hence being refurbished..what makes you think it wont play for 20 minutes and go dead again...remember the 60 gig ps3..mine died I sent it in to get refurbished and it last 2 more weeks after I got it back..but ps4 is great I got it and xbox one both on their release dates and the xbox doesn't have over 3 hours of total game play on it...I have over 70 in assassins creed black flag for the ps4 by itself
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

i thought new ps4's came with a free PP membership...
aggies1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

I alway buy new hardware, never usedor refurbished. The fact they have refurbished already is a bit scary. I always look at it as when you buy a used or refurbished system, you are buying other peoples problems. Is buy a new one and year of Playstation Plus. Buy a second controller down the line unless you need it this second. Why buy something now you might not use.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryw View Post
your going the refurbished route over brand new just to save 80 dollars....you get what you pay for..there was a flaw in the system hence being refurbished..what makes you think it wont play for 20 minutes and go dead again...remember the 60 gig ps3..mine died I sent it in to get refurbished and it last 2 more weeks after I got it back..but ps4 is great I got it and xbox one both on their release dates and the xbox doesn't have over 3 hours of total game play on it...I have over 70 in assassins creed black flag for the ps4 by itself
Agreed, for $80 buy new every time!
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

you could probably find a way better deal on craigslist.... and as long as the seal on the system isnt broken it will still be under warranty

just make sure you test anything before you buy

Last edited by gatordeve86; 03-23-2014 at 07:54 AM.
gatordeve86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

For some reason I used my free 30 day trial that I got with my ps4, and I still have it after 4 months. Without paying anything.
Braswell10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

I just recently purchased the Infamous Second Son PS4 bundle and I am already enjoying it. One of the key factors of me choosing a PS4 was them having the best baseball game being made.
shadymccoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Agreed, for $80 buy new every time!
Its not even $80 difference. It's $25 because a new PS4 comes with a controller so he would only need to buy one, not two (and his math was off by $5 where he broke everything down).

Personally, I cannot see buying a refurb to save $25.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
Its not even $80 difference. It's $25 because a new PS4 comes with a controller so he would only need to buy one, not two (and his math was off by $5 where he broke everything down).

Personally, I cannot see buying a refurb to save $25.
Thank you. I'm glad someone saw it the same way I did.

I'd hold out for a new bundle which includes a free game or two. I'm guessing there's already some out like what MS did with their "Day One" or "TitanFall" editions.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess going the "new" route would be better in the end - wasn't originally aware that a new PS4 came with the controller.

Just another quick question (which may sound a little silly). The controller would still come with the PS4 if I were to buy the system in store as opposed to online, correct? Just want to make sure before I do anything that might cost me more money than I'm already spending lol.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess going the "new" route would be better in the end - wasn't originally aware that a new PS4 came with the controller.

Just another quick question (which may sound a little silly). The controller would still come with the PS4 if I were to buy the system in store as opposed to online, correct? Just want to make sure before I do anything that might cost me more money than I'm already spending lol.
All new PS4's come with a controller packed inside the box. You can look on the Best Buy website for bundle deals that can save you extra money.

Epic Gaming Package- BestBuy

The deal above doesn't save you much unless you buy a ton of new games as they release. 20% off games is pretty nice and close to the going rate of a used game from GameStop ($47.99 vs $44.99)

Good luck with your purchase.
zac949 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Why would a controller not be included with a brand new system? lol
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryw View Post
my man jerryw. whats up man. hook me up with your xbox then if u dont use it. rofl.
sals_cardz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

All consoles that are released come with a controller lol. They wouldn't not include a controller since you need one to play. Xbox also includes the headset, so I wouldn't doubt PS does too
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

ps4 comes with a headset and a controller. Personally I would pay the extra $25 to have new.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

I picked up a BRAND NEW ps4 for $319 including tax!
Shinypsptitans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

But it isn't backwards compatible, right? That turns me off.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
But it isn't backwards compatible, right? That turns me off.
I don't think so, but I have a PS3 already. If I ever feel the urge to play a PS3 game (which probably wouldn't happen since all I really play is NBA 2k13 right now), I could just plug that in. It doesn't really make much of a difference to me.