Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone Garden ?

1st year.
Actually, 1st time in ...16,17 years that the wife and I have had a hobby that we both were into
Son and I were working on a hydroponic project. REALLY got interested and started talking garden for weeks. I guess it subliminally effected the wife

Anyway, been landscaping this week for the wife to do raise box, dirt gardening.

Been buying Funky seeds,all manner of parts,buckets and gaskets for me to do soil-less gardening

Anyway, here are some of my "attempts" in the next few weeks. Anyone who is an avid or seasoned gardener, input is nice and welcome

Sweet Purple Peppers
California WOnder Sweet Peppers
Sugar Snow peas ( thinking these might grow fast for seed tray)
Roma Tomatos
Brandywine Tomatos (pink Variant)...yes, there are Variants even in fruit
Parisian Carrots...look em up, gotta have some for my stews
Yellow Mini-peppers...FAJITA FUN !
Broccolli
Little Finger Carrots...wont be Hydroponic growing these
Bib Lettuce
Head lettuce
Romain lettuce
Kael
Mustard Greens BLEH
and a few others that I cannot name off hand.

I was BLOWN AWAY at hopw simple a seedling grow station was to make. I had taken 10-15 day pepper germination seeds, using these thing I built and heating pads and was showing growth by day 5

Carrots...6 days to be ready to move
Umm...Oh, Broccolli was 6 days....but Mustard greens were showing grown in 48 hours.....1st time gardening and I was just surprised other's did not do this type of jumpstart on seedlings. While I am sure they have their reasons, for us it means if we make mistakes outside in soil, we can get back at it quicker.

For Hydroponics I have to meet a guy 90 miles up the road sunday. Those 4 1/2 gallon buckets, with lids, run around 12.00 as a set. Buying "food grade" used tubs seem to be 4-5/ea and 2/3 for lids and not much better IMO. So, found a guy affiliated with Frito lay and has 2000 or more at 2.00 a pop with lids. So, I may end up buying them all, setting it up, taking pics, then linking how much buckets run,then ebaying a thousand at 5.00/ea with lids I dunno.

Anyway, having fun so far...the worse part, to date, is my wife is patient and I am full speed. I have 4000 seeds come in today and she gave me this WTF look :P

Anyone else garden ?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did what you suggested and looked up Parisian Carrots. I'm going to have to pick these up the next time I hit up the farmer's market. As for gardening, nope lol.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Have tomatoes, corn, okra, carrots and cucumber in raised beds. I'd rather grow in dirt than by any other means. Corn popped up quick and is growing like a weed. My tomatoes started to flower, so I plucked the blooms on the juvenile plants to promote growth (that sounds terrible).
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Have tomatoes, corn, okra, carrots and cucumber in raised beds. I'd rather grow in dirt than by any other means. Corn popped up quick and is growing like a weed. My tomatoes started to flower, so I plucked the blooms on the juvenile plants to promote growth (that sounds terrible).
Corn will be a task for hydro, no doubt about it, but I want to try.

I ordered Sweet Chocolate peppers last night. Now I HOPE to have 7 different colors of peppers this summer I think it will make for some interesting conversations
Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I planned on making raised beds last weekend but things came up. This weekend, I will be building several beds. Back in August, I started a compost pile. The compost is looking good so far which will be mixed in and tilled with topsoil.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Peppers (trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia, red savina, trinidad perfume, banana, pimento, datil and a few others0
garlic
onions
mint (orange, chocolate, pineapple, katnip)
sage (pineapple, spicy)
oregano (variegated, Greek)
basil (lime, spicy thai)
lemon, lime, orange, kumquats, key lime, pears, passionfruit, pomegranate, dwarf pomegranate, strawberries)
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

A grower in California was curious in NFT and took one of my designs to heart and contacted me about it. She is sending me Gooseberrys to grow in a NFT tower system...which I thought was a bush,but evidently there is patch form that grows about the size of a strawberry plant
I thought gooseberries were marbles, which I had listed several of this week, so I was confused at 1st

I also grabbed me a pack of those white strawberries and yellow strawberries, curious to see how they do.

I eat very few veggies, was all I was given to eat as a child so I grew up with an aversion to most. I will be anxious to try "mine" and I hope the action of growing and the labor involved will help me come to terms with my issues and possibly enjoy them....but, just in-case, 4 strains of lettuce going...I love me some salad :P
Still waiting on my iceberg....

Per fruiting trees, we are learning. We are considering, later this summer, planting peaches and lemon...I also remember, like you mentioned metal, I ordered some Lemon basil to try

Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I grow hydroponic produce for a living. Have a 40'X76' greenhouse. This is my 4th year. Owned a masonry construction company for 20 years and wanted something a little easier on the body. I use perlite to grow in, those bubble buckets are for hobby use and suck compared to pretty much any other way of hydro growing because your nutrient/ph levels are not steady. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
itradeerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've got nectarines, blackberries(wild), wild strawberries, grapes, bartlett & Asian pears plum, cherry & apple trees at my house in Virginia. My prized possession were my blueberry bushes though My daughter would eat them & the blackberries as fast as I could pick them
yourmyboyblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Our soil is loaded with clay, coupled with our really hot and humid summers I am constantly fighting fungus on the peppers, pears and roses. My peppers do well up until June, then it gets too hot and they won't set flowers. I then get more at the end of summer. My figs either don't produce or get too hot and ferment on the plant.

I enjoy going to Barney, GA to pick peaches.

I bought cape gooseberry seeds several years ago. I thought they were a fruit. Apparently they are different from a true gooseberry. They are rather strange. They look like little tomatillos. They have little seeds and one berry seeds dozens more if they are left on the ground.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

I have a raised box and some earth boxes. My tomatoes plant was 7 feet tall last year! I plan on making a greenhouse this year.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think my 75 year old aunt does

jk

actually growing some peppers in the yard would be neat if my dog wouldn't polish them off
Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
I think my 75 year old aunt does

jk

actually growing some peppers in the yard would be neat if my dog wouldn't polish them off
It must burn him on the way out
Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've had problems growing Pequin peppers because the birds eat them.

Anyone grow peter peppers?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Planning on tomatos, cucumbers, and bell peppers.

Great for salads, plus my dog loves to eat all those.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Here are a few old pics from inside my greenhouse.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

have a craving for a tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and hot pepper solid right now
Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

itrade, you are AT where I want to be.
Have to go slow because wife knows how insane I get , go off the deepend and muck about and burn out

I was going to do the beto buckets with pearlite. I have a local source,sort of, for the buckets. I do not think I would have PH issues since I am using aqua for my nutrients.

Got my idea from this guy

Same thing, pearlite,paint strainers, 1/2 fittings in the horseshoe shape, run off tube filtering back into the container.
Not sure how long/often, to apply my nutrients yet and if it will be a drip or a timer

But yah, if I can perter the #@#@#@#@ out of you with questions, rest assured I will
Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Gibberish feel free to ask anything you want about hydro growing. I would seriously forget the buckets. They are a pain in the a$$ for many reasons. The grow bags seen in the pictures I posted are so much easier. I can also tell you how to make your watering system all automated really cheap.

A good Hanna PH/EC combo meter will be you best investment. PH is much more important than most realize. I would recommend Hydro Grow 2 part fertilizer sold by Crop King. Unlike most fertilizers it works well with a large variety of produce. I have grown 8 varieties of tomatoes, hot/sweet peppers, 3 varieties of egg plant, green beans, and 4 varieties of cucumbers with the same fertilizer mixture.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well
Give me a break down of materials, links to buy and ideas,concepts and I will look into it. I am easy and eager to learn so I am open still.

I assume bags,pearlite and how is the water structured

I do understand the fibrous aspect of grow bags, just never thought about using them
Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Where has everyone been buying their seeds?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
Where has everyone been buying their seeds?
I get all mine from Seedway.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

EBay for me.
You gotta be smart though, lol
Seems the best price really counts for crap 3 weeks later with no shipping or contact.
I have had problems with
Wilding_Woods
Lets see, last order was on the 15th,came yesterday. Ordered 12 more items the next day which still are not here. He threatens to block anyone who files a claim or leaves bad feedback with out contacting him,so when you contact him you get a canned message saying he is too busy to answer your message ...He should be a Blowout member.

ASLO, one of the largest outfits, as far as I can tell on ebay, grocoseeds seems to ship slower than a snail.

I found SEVERAL sellers to be on the ball BUT...on the whole...most of these guys could careless about shipping, they do it as they feel they have time.
Some are making it within 10 days and a few within a week, but on the whole, 2 weeks for an order.
Now, a shining ray of shipping perfection would be the following

Heirloomseedguy , He ships as fast as I do, was impressed
Ddavid2384 Fast and prompt

Chezsmokey fast and VERY helpful
Trianglepartners prompt shipping, directions on growing for each zone, friendly and very knowledgable and eager to answer questions
Mozybeau-farms fast and friendly

SO,cheaper seems to have a cost and that cost is shipping speed.
I hope this list helps you. I have purchased from 27 seed sellers so far so if you need more names let me know
Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itradeerrors View Post
I get all mine from Seedway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
EBay for me.
You gotta be smart though, lol
Seems the best price really counts for crap 3 weeks later with no shipping or contact.
I have had problems with
Wilding_Woods
Lets see, last order was on the 15th,came yesterday. Ordered 12 more items the next day which still are not here. He threatens to block anyone who files a claim or leaves bad feedback with out contacting him,so when you contact him you get a canned message saying he is too busy to answer your message ...He should be a Blowout member.

ASLO, one of the largest outfits, as far as I can tell on ebay, grocoseeds seems to ship slower than a snail.

I found SEVERAL sellers to be on the ball BUT...on the whole...most of these guys could careless about shipping, they do it as they feel they have time.
Some are making it within 10 days and a few within a week, but on the whole, 2 weeks for an order.
Now, a shining ray of shipping perfection would be the following

Heirloomseedguy , He ships as fast as I do, was impressed
Ddavid2384 Fast and prompt

Chezsmokey fast and VERY helpful
Trianglepartners prompt shipping, directions on growing for each zone, friendly and very knowledgable and eager to answer questions
Mozybeau-farms fast and friendly

SO,cheaper seems to have a cost and that cost is shipping speed.
I hope this list helps you. I have purchased from 27 seed sellers so far so if you need more names let me know
Thank you, gentlemen.

I think I am going to stick to local vendors. However, I will check out the links for some rarer seeds and varities.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Thoughts on plucking the blooms off of smaller tomato plants? Good or bad idea?
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote