Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Productive Spring/Summer Tracking

I have a lot of things I want to get done this summer. I found that when I am productive, I feel my best. Obviously, I do a lot of little stuff in any given day but I started making lists again to help me feel like I am accomplishing something more than just my daily tasks.

So far this spring I have:

mowed the front and side of the lawn every week (since Mother's Day)
planted a garden
sold some things on Craigslist
created amazing memories with my boys (My #1 priority always)
weeded and planted around the house
re-connected with family

I know there is a lot more but I am drawing a blank.

Things I would like to do:
continue to tend my garden
help my mom fix up my nanny's house so she can rent it out to my cousins (I took a week off in July to help her with this)
sell some cards
sell some stuff on craigslist/ebay
continue to mow the front/side lawn
work out 3 times a week
spend 20 minutes daily with each boy uninterrupted
find a 1st shift job before the school year
get some bills paid off

What are some spring/summer projects you are working on?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Losing some weight so I don't look like a bowling ball when I get married in September. I am not working as hard at this as I should be though. Need to stop wasting time.
legion624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Selling cards & getting back in shape.

I've lost all the weight I wanted to so things are going smoother.

Maybe find a friend to date & start hanging out with her. I need to spend some more social time with people. I'm starting to feel like a nerd.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Selling cards & getting back in shape.

I've lost all the weight I wanted to so things are going smoother.

Maybe find a friend to date & start hanging out with her. I need to spend some more social time with people. I'm starting to feel like a nerd.
Ben, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're kind of already there...
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

going to start learning how to do some car repairs, go on vacation with my wife and daughters annnnnnnnnnd try to slim down a little
bkovach06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

My goal for the summer is to have a lawn. Front is 80% done

Side and back...all crappy dirt.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnarg View Post
My goal for the summer is to have a lawn. Front is 80% done

Side and back...all crappy dirt.
Crappy dirt or compacted dirt, or by crappy dirt, did you mean compacted dirt?

Reason I ask is because I bought a brand new home back in '08 that came with the front fully landscaped. Unfortunately, about two years in, I over-fertilized, or didn't water in the fertilizer I put down, and burned a patch of grass. When I went to replace that patch of grass, I noticed that I could pretty much roll it up as if it had just been put down the day before, which means in two years, the grass didn't actually root.

So, I decided to pull it all out, and in the process of doing so, I found roofing tile, floor tile, Gatorade lids, nails, screws, staples, pieces of 2x4, etc. It appears that the landscape company the developer used just simply showed up, rolled the grass out, and called it a day. And not only did they just roll the grass out, but they did NOTHING to treat the soil compaction, which lead to tons of water run-off.

This past Monday, I had some guys over to "fix" the dirt lot that had become my front yard, and they stumbled over more junk, such as rocks, cement chunks, and what could only be some sort of metal support wrap type of thing.

They pulled out all the junk tilled the top layer, pulled it off, and left me to water the dirt for another week, so that when they come back next Monday, they can till it again, and then prepare the dirt for grass; which is ultimately how it should have been done in the first place.

Needless to say, I filed two BBB cases against the homebuilder, and their subsidiary that built my home. I am sure nothing will come of it, but I am pretty pissed off, even as I type this.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Crappy dirt or compacted dirt, or by crappy dirt, did you mean compacted dirt?

Reason I ask is because I bought a brand new home back in '08 that came with the front fully landscaped. Unfortunately, about two years in, I over-fertilized, or didn't water in the fertilizer I put down, and burned a patch of grass. When I went to replace that patch of grass, I noticed that I could pretty much roll it up as if it had just been put down the day before, which means in two years, the grass didn't actually root.

So, I decided to pull it all out, and in the process of doing so, I found roofing tile, floor tile, Gatorade lids, nails, screws, staples, pieces of 2x4, etc. It appears that the landscape company the developer used just simply showed up, rolled the grass out, and called it a day. And not only did they just roll the grass out, but they did NOTHING to treat the soil compaction, which lead to tons of water run-off.

This past Monday, I had some guys over to "fix" the dirt lot that had become my front yard, and they stumbled over more junk, such as rocks, cement chunks, and what could only be some sort of metal support wrap type of thing.

They pulled out all the junk tilled the top layer, pulled it off, and left me to water the dirt for another week, so that when they come back next Monday, they can till it again, and then prepare the dirt for grass; which is ultimately how it should have been done in the first place.

Needless to say, I filed two BBB cases against the homebuilder, and their subsidiary that built my home. I am sure nothing will come of it, but I am pretty pissed off, even as I type this.

So much trash and rocks. People dumped stuff here years ago. By crappy dirt I mean rocks, trash, glass, metal, you name it.

I spent last year discing my yard. Getting all the junk out. Grading it, prepping it.

Now it's just flat nasty dirt.

I had 5, yes 5 triaxle loads of topsoil delivered last year. Spent plenty of time leveling that out in my front yard so I'd have good soil to plant. Which the front is looking great.

I'll probably have another 8 delivered soon to do the side and the back.

It's been fun let me tell ya.

It'll get there.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

My son is five so this summer I want to get him involved in sports and other activities.
Find a new house.
Buy another car.
Go to the gym (sounds like a new years resolution. But im far from out of shape and just want to be in a bit better physical condition)

Will add as I go. Great thread. Thanks
siskiyoucnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for posting, everyone! Hopefully, we all have productive summers.

I signed us up for the Y today!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

i take my bike off sweeeet jumps.

then i dance like no one is watching.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
i take my bike off sweeeet jumps.

then i dance like no one is watching.

siskiyoucnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Ben, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're kind of already there...
Yeah, maybe that is why I'm so popular.

I always have been, but getting on the computer 24/7 is kind of irritating from time to time.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

July 1st update:

I got our first harvest out of the garden this morning! I delightful cucumber. The boys didn't like it but I have been snacking on it all morning. My goal was to be able to eat one thing out of our garden. It is very crowded. Next year, I will have to give it a lot more space. I am very happy that we got something out of it though.

We will be venturing back to my hometown next week to help fix up my nanny's house. The drama right now is unbelievable. I am just trying to have a nice time with my boys. I think they will be bored but hopefully, I can keep them occupied and get some stuff done.

Got our window paid off. On to the car repairs.

I have been spending time each day with my loves. It is very hard to to get uninterrupted time in with each of them though. The other wants my constant attention.

I am hoping to make to make it to the gym tomorrow.

How is everyone's summer going?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Great thread. Goals are underrated.

It's funny ... we have done pretty much exactly what's on your "done so far" list. My wife used to mow the lawn (even when she was pregnant, all the way up to 9 months -- she's crazy!), but lately she has been working very hard around the house, so I've taken over all the yardwork. I took off work early last Wednesday to open a couple of cases of Bowman FB, but I ended up instead selling them sealed that same day, so I used that time to do a bunch of tilling in the backyard. Cleared out a spot for some pumpkins and gourds along the back of the yard, and tilled up and planted a flower bed in the center of the yard (bordered with some nice big white rocks which my wife found out in the woods, LOL).

It's been a good summer for us so far. Tomorrow, I'm taking off at lunch, going to pick up a couple of cases of Goodwin Champions, and spending the rest of the week ripping, listing, and sorting with the family. In between shooting off fireworks, that is. Gonna be a good time.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

I've really taken a step back from collecting. I'm currently studying to be a CPT. Knee deep in Anotomy right now. I got back in the gym about 2 months ago after a 15 month break after our daughter was born. Im on a 3 day schedule that my wife and I split. I go MWF and my wife TTS seems to work well for us. My only goals for summer are to continue to develop my daughters little brain being as fun and creative as possible for a stay at home Dad. Would like to start incorporating some outdoor running on my off days and hopefully find some time to get my shirt off under the sun. Looking a little pasty lately. Don't have to many lofty goals this summer other then to find a little free time for myself and wife and I for a few date nights.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm actually looking to gain weight. That's a summer goal of mine. I guess I want to work out more too. I also want to write more. Small things at the moment.
Team Connor
sportscardbreak is offline   Reply With Quote