Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Advice: Dog Throwing Up Constantly.

Firstly let me say we ARE taking her to the vet, but none are open for another 45 minutes.

Kona is a gobbler. She eats all her food in one breath and then looks for more. She ALWAYS has been this way, ever since she was 8-10 weeks old. She is about 3 now. Sometimes her eating habits get her in trouble and she throws up. This happens every few weeks and usually immediately after eating.

Yesterday I fed her breakfast like I do every morning. A good hour maybe 2 goes by and she throws up. It was semi-broke down kibble. I clean it up, comfort my dog, and go about the rest of my day. She was (and always is in) good spirits. Tail wagging, jumping, loving life. About an hour later she throws up again. This time just fluid, I am guessing bile. I clean it up again and tell my wife (she works from home in an office and didn't know what was up.) I explained the situation to her and she called her mom and a coworker who used to work for a Dog rescue/clinic.

Her mom suggested giving her a small handful of kibble and wait 20 minutes to see how she does. We fed her, I kid you not about 6 kibble from the palm of my wife's hand she about 10 minutes later she ralphed. So we call the coworker again and she said to dilute some chicken broth and give her a little bit of bread. The bread will Doak up some nasties from inside her stomach and the diluted broth should keep her hydrated and also make her want to drink regular water. So we do the broth and water thing and she is fine. Totally good to go. We do this again about 5 hours later because we felt like she needed it as just about everything else she ate came back up.

This was short lived. I woke up to her throwing up at 5:30 this morning, about 8 hours after her last meal. I can't figure out what is wrong! She doesn't have a lack of appetite, she isn't lethargic, when I take her outside she runs and jumps like nothing is wrong st sll. When I try to give her food she throws it up.

Here are a few things to consider:

1) we recently treated her for fleas, she got them from her brother who lives with the in laws and she visits him on the weekend. We are fairly positive she didn't have fleas for more than 48 hours at most. We made sure she never ingested any of the flea shampoo, soray, or carpet powder. We always keep an eye on her and during the "carpet powder" treatment we left her in her kennel in the kitchen far away from any powder. We then sucked up the powder very thoroughly with our vacuum.

2) She is a mixed breed, and as best I can tell she is some sort of Grey Hound / Basset mix.

3) even with all this going on she is still in high spirits. She has an appetite and is running and jumping around a bunch.

4) upon "inspection " I cannot find any traces of worms or anything else nasty like that.

This all just makes me so sad because she is the sweetest dog ever and always wants to be a lap dog even though she doesn't fit. I just wish I could figure out why she is having so much stomach trouble!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

How is her weight?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ask your Vet about Royal Canin food.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Ask your Vet about Royal Canin food.
This is what our dog eats.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have had a similar thing happen with my dog before. He is a 6 1/2 year old miniature poodle. We took him to the vet and they just ended up putting him on antibiotics and told us to feed him plain white rice and plain cooked chicken. After a few days he was fine. A lot of the times, when we see he has a stomach problem we just feed him the rice and chicken and he is usually fine.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Scramble an egg and microwave it. See if she can keep that down. High protein so it will help sustain her till her stomach calms down. What color is her stool?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

A common problem among Greyhound breeds is a condition called Gastric Dilatation Volvulus.

Possibly lethal to the dog if not treated.

My greyhounds have very high elevated bowls and are only fed in small increments to keep them from eating too fast.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Her weight seems to be fine. Doesn't look to be losing any, but she always looks slender due to the greyhound look.

Her last BM was green in color. She hasn't ate any grass so I am perplexed. It was regular for the first part and soft for the second oart, but not diarrhea.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cottage cheese is good for our dog when he is having issues keeping his food down
Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

earlier this year I noticed my dog would vomit every few days some yellow mucus but more liquid than mucus..... the vet put him antibiotics for a while and nothing changed. I changed his diet and nothing changed... he still would vomit. this lasted for a couple of weeks.

2 months go by with nothing and then he started to vomit again. I also noticed his abdomen was a little extended. the vet took blood and two days later scheduled an appointment to get an ultrasound.

long story short, the ultrasound showed tumors on his liver and one had finally ruptured. my dog had internal pressure on his stomach that was most likely the cause for the vomiting. he had surgery to remove the tumors but there were too many covering his liver. the surgeon removed what she could but said I should prepare for my dog to only make it another couple of months....

well, he only survived for 3 weeks. I left for work one morning and he was fine, I stopped home for lunch and he was fine, when I got home from work he was in his bed and had passed on......

maybe ask for some blood work to check your dog's red blood cell count.......
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

She could have an infected uterus. (More common than you think and vomiting is one of the first symptoms)
Also could be liver failure, check her eyes for jaundice.
But my bet would be bacterial infection.
RCSpur's 3-caser - Case #1 Marlins, Case #2 Marlins & Tigers
JMPKCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

At the vet now, the vet checked her stomach and when she put pressure with her fingertips on Kona' stomach she turned around real quick. She is thinking she ate something she shouldn't have and that is making the enzymes in her stomach go haywire and cause her to vomit. Enzymes could eat through her stomach and that would be extra bad.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonylp1985 View Post
Scramble an egg and microwave it. See if she can keep that down. High protein so it will help sustain her till her stomach calms down. What color is her stool?
i'm sure every dog is different, but whenever our beagle gets eggs she has explosive diarrhea, so be careful with this one.

i don't know what could be causing your dog to puke, unless you got some tainted food (it happens).

i would suggest doing something about how quickly your dog is eating though. That can be dangerous. You can get a delay feeder for big bucks, or you can just get a big chew-toy type ball to put into the food bowl that will force the dog to eat around it, thus moving slower.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

get blood work done and an ultrasound...... might be $500+ but it will be well spent..
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i'm sure every dog is different, but whenever our beagle gets eggs she has explosive diarrhea, so be careful with this one.

i don't know what could be causing your dog to puke, unless you got some tainted food (it happens).

i would suggest doing something about how quickly your dog is eating though. That can be dangerous. You can get a delay feeder for big bucks, or you can just get a big chew-toy type ball to put into the food bowl that will force the dog to eat around it, thus moving slower.
I love my beagle.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

No rubber toys
No rawhide flip chips

Boil a little rice and mix in with food

We do Blue dry food with cans of turkey meatloaf or backyard BBQ mixed with the dry and with some rice

Helps when our lab sick
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

You try another kind of dog food already? It really sound like your dog has some health issues hopefully the vet finds a solution for you real quick.
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

So the vet ended up injecting her with some fluids as she was dehydrated. Looks like she is one giant water balloon but it will absorb into her body and hydrate her. She also prescribed her an anti nasea pill and some prescription wet food. We have only fed her the food and pill once (twice daily) but so far she is keeping it down.

The vet wanted us to to do an xray and complete blood panel (way more in depth than the standard blood work.) But we couldn't swing it. We simply don't have the money. I am not putting a price cap on my dog's health by any means, if we had the money I would throw it down in a heart beat. We just don't have it and the vet offers no payment plan or billing of any kind. I am just hoping that the nasea pills and food do the trick... it is great that she is keeping it down but if she won't poop it is all for nothing.

I guess I should have said this earlier but the vet said she wanted to do an xray to rule out a blockage. The problems are that 1) we can't afford the xray and all that comes with it and 2) if they find a blockage it means surgery and we REALLY can't afford that. We have a care plan for Kona but it only covers 5 visits a year, routine blood work, vaccines, etc. Basically everything that was done today and everything else they want to do would not be covered by the care plan and came/would come right out of our pocket save for the initial exam.

Please cross your fingers and pray that my dog poops this evening or even tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Rob.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

petsmart banfield hospital
--pay monthly and includes checkups and annuals

saves a nice amount when dog had growth removed and was also sick couple times
Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

that could be something very serious
VikingsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post

Our Petsmart doesn't have a hospital. Just a grooming area.

Wait, I just Google it. We will call tomorrow morning and get some more info.

Last edited by ChicoCheese; 01-25-2015 at 10:13 PM.
ChicoCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post

My girlfriend now works at an animal hospital so we take our dog there but before that we went to Banfield at our Petsmart and we loved it and would still be going there if she didn't get the job. I think we paid 35 bucks a month but never paid for a visit or vaccine, and when she got spayed the only thing we had to pay for were the pain meds which were cheap. It is worth it IMO, they are really great there
Firerunner4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerunner4 View Post
My girlfriend now works at an animal hospital so we take our dog there but before that we went to Banfield at our Petsmart and we loved it and would still be going there if she didn't get the job. I think we paid 35 bucks a month but never paid for a visit or vaccine, and when she got spayed the only thing we had to pay for were the pain meds which were cheap. It is worth it IMO, they are really great there
That sounds like what my vet offers currently. It covers 5 exams a year, vaccijes, basic blood work (one time a year) , heart worm test (not the meds or treatment), stuff like that for $31.99/mo. Anything not super basic or routine is not covered and comes out of pocket.

My wife is going to call Banfield tomorrow morning and see if we can get Kona in for an Xray and possible surgery with a payment schedule.

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes.

--Rob.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

UPDATE:
Kona kept all the prescription food and pills down all day yesterday and threw the night. She seems to have a little bit more energy, but she also doesn't have an extra few pounds of fluid under her skin (the vet put it there.)

She still has not pooped. I phoned the vet and she says that she might not have enough in her stomach to form a movement... I am worried she has the blockage and nothing is getting to her stomach.

My wife is forming a go fund me.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

Good luck, man. I know it's terribly scary when something like this happens. Last year, out of nowhere our dog (Who is a greyhound) started having seizures (and this came after losing our 3 year old cat to cancer and having our same dog attacked by another dog that required a lot of surgery) and that was pretty scary. I'll be hoping that what ever it is, it'll be cleared up for you and the pup, soon. Hoping it's not a blockage.
D. Rose PC: http://tinyurl.com/d8qecvf
Bizzydesigner is online now   Reply With Quote