Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy My poor car...

Well this morning I hit a snow bank (more like Ice bank) and destroyed my front bumper so that was a very unfortunate thing. This is my first accident after (7+) years of driving so this sucked pretty bad. I can already imagine how much this is going to cost...

Also looking to add to my Red Sox auto PC
Red Sox in 2015
awz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

You have the 350z, right?

Hopefully it wasn't that car.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
You have the 350z, right?

Hopefully it wasn't that car.
No it was my 2012 Elantra. I would never take the 350 out in this kind of weather, Its staying in the garage till around April or late march.

Red Sox in 2015
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awz50 View Post
No it was my 2012 Elantra. I would never take the 350 out in this kind of weather, Its staying in the garage till around April or late march.
Ok that was the reasoning behind the question
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Surprising, the ice must have been there from a previous storm, as cold as it was, the snow from yesterday was light so the snowbanks should still be pretty soft (although with wet, heavy snow coming in friday followed by cold on saturday, the snowbanks will be like concrete before the next storm on monday).

The car can be fixed, hopefully you suffered no injuries.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pics or it didn't happen. Op whining and lying to curry favor. Next thing you know, a Gofundme request will pop up.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Pics or it didn't happen. Op whining and lying to curry favor. Next thing you know, a Gofundme request will pop up.
You caught on my plan. I thought it was full proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
Surprising, the ice must have been there from a previous storm, as cold as it was, the snow from yesterday was light so the snowbanks should still be pretty soft (although with wet, heavy snow coming in friday followed by cold on saturday, the snowbanks will be like concrete before the next storm on monday).

The car can be fixed, hopefully you suffered no injuries.
Yes the ice was under all the soft powder. The temperatures are always all over the place in NH. I did not suffer any injury's, air bag deployed but nothing serious to me.

Red Sox in 2015
Old 01-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am assuming it will cost whatever your deductible is.
geoffyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
I am assuming it will cost whatever your deductible is.
Not with an airbag deployment, those are north of $1k to replace. If you add in a bumper and probable alignment, I'm sure the deductible will be less unless he has a crazy high one.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Not with an airbag deployment, those are north of $1k to replace. If you add in a bumper and probable alignment, I'm sure the deductible will be less unless he has a crazy high one.
I bet he's looking at a couple grand anyway. Nothing cheap these days.

Can't imagine what repair bills will be like on the aluminum bodied F150's at first (should come down since lots of other companies have announced plans for aluminum bodied vehicles since the F150 announcement)
Old 01-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm going to guess close to $3,000 in damage.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just got quoted by a local repair shop, looks like its going to $2,700. Not as bad as I expected, a lot better then what my 350 would cost to repair.

Looks like the girlfriend will be driving me around

Red Sox in 2015
Old 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I bet he's looking at a couple grand anyway. Nothing cheap these days.

Can't imagine what repair bills will be like on the aluminum bodied F150's at first (should come down since lots of other companies have announced plans for aluminum bodied vehicles since the F150 announcement)
What's Crazier Than Smashing An Aluminum Ford F-150 With A Sledgehammer? The Repair Bill - Forbes
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Just got quoted by a local repair shop, looks like its going to $2,700. Not as bad as I expected, a lot better then what my 350 would cost to repair.

The front bumper on any newer car will probably cost about the same. The 350 is not a Ferrari and body panels are readily available. $2700 seems like an awful lot to paint and replace a bumper. Paint is about $500 on the high side and the bumper I cannot see being more than $1500. I've owned a lot of vehicles and had a lot of things repaired. Just seems a bit high. When I wrecked my 04 STI I needed the front bumper, front drivers quarter panel, headlight, and some misc plastic parts and it was $2200.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
The front bumper on any newer car will probably cost about the same. The 350 is not a Ferrari and body panels are readily available. $2700 seems like an awful lot to paint and replace a bumper. Paint is about $500 on the high side and the bumper I cannot see being more than $1500. I've owned a lot of vehicles and had a lot of things repaired. Just seems a bit high. When I wrecked my 04 STI I needed the front bumper, front drivers quarter panel, headlight, and some misc plastic parts and it was $2200.
Price is not high at all. His airbag also deployed. That is where the expense is coming in.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
Price is not high at all. His airbag also deployed. That is where the expense is coming in.
I completely forgot about that part. Seems like a fair price then.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to DiamondBreaks

Quote:

Dude...buy a bumper yourself if theres no other damage. It'll cost you ~$500 and do it yourself. $2700? 80% of that is labor costs. Save yourself here.
DiamondBreaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondBreaks View Post
Dude...buy a bumper yourself if theres no other damage. It'll cost you ~$500 and do it yourself. $2700? 80% of that is labor costs. Save yourself here.
Why do so many people have a problem with reading? First off, the airbag deployed and that is not a DIY job. Even if it was, the parts are very expensive. Now add in a bumper and paint. The price is pretty high but his deductible for his insurance is probably far, far lower. Why would he not just save himself a lot of headache and file a claim? People freaking amaze me.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondBreaks View Post
I would If I had time, I work 54 hours a week and go to college. I would rather just have someone else do it and spend the extra money. Plus my insurance is going to cover a lot of this.

Also the air bag deployed which is why its so dam expensive.

Red Sox in 2015
Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Saw that on the F150 forum. Not sure I buy that the labor rate for aluminum repair should be double (time yes, labor rate, no) and I suspect that dealership will be spoken to by Ford as they have said they would subsidize repairs until shops get up to speed. With more vehicles slated for aluminum bodies, I expect the cost will come down. (plus, $800 for a tail light...wtf)

Also, Ford's twitter guy (mike levine?) posted that the replacement part costs the same for the 2015 as it did for 2014 (probably still more labor to replace it thought).

Oh, and if you hit a steel panel the same way, there would have been a lot worse damage.

OP, good luck, hopefully the body shop is not too busy and can get to it quickly. Keep that 350z parked.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Saw that on the F150 forum. Not sure I buy that the labor rate for aluminum repair should be double (time yes, labor rate, no) and I suspect that dealership will be spoken to by Ford as they have said they would subsidize repairs until shops get up to speed. With more vehicles slated for aluminum bodies, I expect the cost will come down. (plus, $800 for a tail light...wtf)

Also, Ford's twitter guy (mike levine?) posted that the replacement part costs the same for the 2015 as it did for 2014 (probably still more labor to replace it thought).

Oh, and if you hit a steel panel the same way, there would have been a lot worse damage.

OP, good luck, hopefully the body shop is not too busy and can get to it quickly. Keep that 350z parked.
In theory you would be correct. The problem with the theory is that the aluminum repair equipment is very, very expensive. They pay for it by increasing costs. You really aren't paying double for the labor, you are financing the equipment. Is it wrong? Depends on how you look at it. If you want your aluminum car fixed, they need to be able to buy the equipment. Can't have one without the other. It isn't really 'double labor' per se, it is just that the procedures cost more and if you do the simpleton thing and divide the procedure cost by labor time, it looks like you are being charged "double".
Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
In theory you would be correct. The problem with the theory is that the aluminum repair equipment is very, very expensive. They pay for it by increasing costs. You really aren't paying double for the labor, you are financing the equipment. Is it wrong? Depends on how you look at it. If you want your aluminum car fixed, they need to be able to buy the equipment. Can't have one without the other. It isn't really 'double labor' per se, it is just that the procedures cost more and if you do the simpleton thing and divide the procedure cost by labor time, it looks like you are being charged "double".
I did no math here, the second video explained that the shop labor rate was $120/hr for aluminum and $60/hr for steel. Based on what they said, the shop bills the labor at twice the rate, that may be how they decided to cover the cost of the equipment. Odd thing is they took it to a Ford dealership and Ford said they had subsidized repair shops so you would think that meant their own as well.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

I had an 04.5 z and wrecked it in 2006. Just hit a plastic mailbox going approximately 25 mph. Replaced hood, front bumper, headlight, and some other oddball stuff. Insurance paid approximately $6K to fix it. Much more then I thought it would be.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I did no math here, the second video explained that the shop labor rate was $120/hr for aluminum and $60/hr for steel. Based on what they said, the shop bills the labor at twice the rate, that may be how they decided to cover the cost of the equipment. Odd thing is they took it to a Ford dealership and Ford said they had subsidized repair shops so you would think that meant their own as well.
Still too soon. I'm sure this will shake out like all new things do. Curious if it is going to affect insurance premiums on a monthly basis.