Blowout Cards Forums
REMIX

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Show off your fish tank/aquarium setup!

The other day I realized I wanted a small aquarium in my office with a few fish. Nothing major, nothing high-maintenance.

I bought this ridiculously cool, but small, aquarium the other day. It's only 3 gallon, but that's exactly what I wanted. I'm living in a condo now, so once I upgrade to a full-sized house, I'll get a long-term custom aquarium.

I would have LOVED to do a saltwater tank, but it's tough maintaining. I think saltwater fish and sealife is so much more beautiful than freshwater.

I don't have fish yet because the water is chemically prepping, but in the meantime, here's a picture without fish haha (bubbles are gone now!):

What do you have, and/or what did you used to have and give some history on it!

paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used to have a fish, but it died

#TEAMCONNOR!
dbacksfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

How many gallons is your tank? What are you planning to put in there?

I have a 55 gallon. This was from about a year ago, I have mostly freshwater puffers in there now. Figure 8, spotted & dwarf puffers.

I like the plants even more than the fish, they're all live. Got a little Spongebob set up in there for my son. I added a really big piece of drift wood that goes from one side of the tank to the other now.

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!

Last edited by Rick; 01-30-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh this thread could be awesome! I had to get rid of my 75 gallon tropical about 2 years ago when my son was born, but we are in the process of buying a new LARGER house, I already have a 150 gal complete setup ready to go when I make the move, can't wait to update with some pics! I will be doing a species tank, think I will be going with Green Severums.
phreak23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Very cool setups guys! Paul, what kind of fish do you plan on stocking your tank with? I wish I could contribute to this thread, but all my pics are in an old camera and usb somewhere in my Mom's house. I don't even know if I can ever look at them again, too many painful memories.

Before I collected cards I used to collect fish, mainly Asian Arowanas (legal in Canada) and Clown Loaches (My favorite fishies, had a school of 60+). It was a hobby I used to share with my Dad and I had so many set ups, it was awesome, literally a custom tank in every room or wall I could find. When my Dad had his first major stroke I dropped everything in my life to be with him and my Mom during his road to recovery. I hired someone to look after the place and they didn't really understand how to care for the fish and they all slowly died one by one during the course of a few months. When I came back there was pretty much nothing left for me. It's hard just thinking about it. I never had an aquarium since, but I get the urge every now and then. Maybe once when my card spending goes down haha.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Old 01-31-2015, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther252 View Post
Very cool setups guys! Paul, what kind of fish do you plan on stocking your tank with? I wish I could contribute to this thread, but all my pics are in an old camera and usb somewhere in my Mom's house. I don't even know if I can ever look at them again, too many painful memories.

Before I collected cards I used to collect fish, mainly Asian Arowanas (legal in Canada) and Clown Loaches (My favorite fishies, had a school of 60+). It was a hobby I used to share with my Dad and I had so many set ups, it was awesome, literally a custom tank in every room or wall I could find. When my Dad had his first major stroke I dropped everything in my life to be with him and my Mom during his road to recovery. I hired someone to look after the place and they didn't really understand how to care for the fish and they all slowly died one by one during the course of a few months. When I came back there was pretty much nothing left for me. It's hard just thinking about it. I never had an aquarium since, but I get the urge every now and then. Maybe once when my card spending goes down haha.
Arowanas shouldn't be legal for sale anywhere, so many monster fish make it into tanks they just do not belong. I had a clown knife in my 75 gallon tank, and even that was too small of a tank for him to be in. I wound up giving him up to someone with a 150 gallon set up. He is much happier now.

And I LOVE clown loaches, gorgeous fish. My Father in law has a few in his 220 gal cichlid tank, along with a few catfish they make for nice population control, if it wasn't for them guys those cichlids would be spawning non stop.
phreak23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak23 View Post
Arowanas shouldn't be legal for sale anywhere, so many monster fish make it into tanks they just do not belong. I had a clown knife in my 75 gallon tank, and even that was too small of a tank for him to be in. I wound up giving him up to someone with a 150 gallon set up. He is much happier now.

And I LOVE clown loaches, gorgeous fish. My Father in law has a few in his 220 gal cichlid tank, along with a few catfish they make for nice population control, if it wasn't for them guys those cichlids would be spawning non stop.
Haha, I know what you mean, but the asians (smaller than the South Americans, but still big) are in fact legal in Canada for whatever reason. I had two in my main 1500 gallon tank that I had custom built in my den. Believe it or not I kept Clown Loaches with them and a rays, plecos, etc and never had a problem. I also had several smaller tanks around the house about 250-500 gallons scattered throughout the house with their own asians.

I agree, clowns are my favorite fish of all time. I always found myself wanting to keep them in every aquarium to add color and liveliness. They are just so fun to have. I had a species only tank with just loaches in a 750 gallon and got the school up to around 60+ of all different shapes and sizes. Some were HUGE and in their teens, raised from my Dad back in the day. I would always find myself going to a pet store and finding a unique pattern I liked and would then add them to collection haha. It was pretty fun having a huge school of them. Breaks my heart that I no longer have any of them.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I really want a tank but my husband has a very strict 1 pet at a time rule. We had a 75 gallon when I was growing up. My dad accidentally killed all our fish once. I am not sure on the specifics of how as we were not allowed to ask questions and we had to take several years off from fish but we were allowed to get lizards. They got way too big for our tank so we had to give them away to a reptile guy who had this wicked awesome set up. We were able to get fish again.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I once had a 10'x12' frag tank. Raised clownfish and mainly zoanthids in it. Boy I miss those days. At one point I had 25+ tanks.
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

My 1000 Gallon "L" Shaped. Hand built by me about 7 years ago.

Currently busting 250 cases of 2014 Draft!
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post

That looks awesome!! Well Done!!!
andyzk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

That's gorgeous! It looks like there's a door on the end. Could you open that up and see it from the inside as well?
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

coclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan4life View Post
I used to have a fish, but it died
Same here.
RelicCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
The Los Angeles smog tank.
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to pensfan87893

Quote:

That is one of the nicest looking tanks I've seen! Awesome job!
Old 01-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

lmao :carpinatub:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coclarkson View Post
hof34s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
That's gorgeous! It looks like there's a door on the end. Could you open that up and see it from the inside as well?
Thanks for all the nice comments . You could walk in behind into the fish room. You can't see inside from the back as I had to paint it black or you would see into the room.

Last edited by Major_League; 02-01-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Major_League, that is by far the nicest Fish Tank I've ever seen in a home!! Wow, incredible! Man, I hope you have a nice TV in there to get comfy and enjoy the aquarium while you are watching the game! Man is that thing awesome!
Halbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbert View Post
Major_League, that is by far the nicest Fish Tank I've ever seen in a home!! Wow, incredible! Man, I hope you have a nice TV in there to get comfy and enjoy the aquarium while you are watching the game! Man is that thing awesome!
Haha thanks man. Right to the left of the tank is our Home Theater room with 140" screen, it was actually built first (also by me) then the tank went in. You could sit at the bar stools in front of tank and watch the game.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Great setups everyone! Some really nice displays!

To update on my end, I purchased a Striped Raphael Catfish and (2) Silver Angelfish. The angelfish died within 24 hours, as it appears the current from the filter in a small tank was just too strong for them and stressed them. I returned them to the store and the woman apologized for the first employee even selling them to me for that tank.

So they got the fish expert guy for me this time, I told him the tank is 3 gallons. We talked back and forth and I decided on (2) Paradise Gourami. They're really cool fish, durable and hearty and strong swimmers so they're OK with the small current in the tank. I got a male and female so that there won't be any aggression towards eachother.

One thing I am worried about, I did a bit of Google research on the Paradise Gourami and I'm reading that they need a 10-20 gallon tank at minimum. My tank is only 3-gallons and I'm worried it's too small for them.

Why would the "fish expert" recommend them?

Should I return them before anything happens?

The catfish is by far my favorite fish. I read that the gourami shouldn't be aggressive towards it - but who knows?

Here's some pictures:

paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Hunh...who'd of thought I"d find this thread

The Paradise Gourmi looks awesome!

Just totally redid my tank. 90 Gallon Hexagonal on about a 2.5 ft cabinet.

Getting gold fish tonight (he he ha ha - but true). I want them to test the tank. Just got done removing home grade silicone from the tank which FYI will kill your fish! I knew this but you never know what your going to get when you buy a used tank (and i think the previous owner used it for a hedgehog, which at that point it doesnt matter).

But I'll likley end up with Blue Gourmi's, Dano's, Pineapple or Orange Swordtails and still very partial to Pleco's. The last one I had in college was over 12" and killed me to find out they all died when I drove home in a blizzard (had the tank in the back of my truck with a blanket wrapped around it, but the 5 hr trip tank temps dropped to much)

Hadnt thought about the tank flow much, but something I'll double check as because of the tank design I've got, there's really not a lot of dead flow spaces that you might get in say a standard rectangular tank.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Guess I killed this thread, but here's the new fish all happy

Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
The other day I realized I wanted a small aquarium in my office with a few fish. Nothing major, nothing high-maintenance.

I bought this ridiculously cool, but small, aquarium the other day. It's only 3 gallon, but that's exactly what I wanted. I'm living in a condo now, so once I upgrade to a full-sized house, I'll get a long-term custom aquarium.

I would have LOVED to do a saltwater tank, but it's tough maintaining. I think saltwater fish and sealife is so much more beautiful than freshwater.

I don't have fish yet because the water is chemically prepping, but in the meantime, here's a picture without fish haha (bubbles are gone now!):

What do you have, and/or what did you used to have and give some history on it!

There are so many beautiful fresh water fish that are out there that (to me, anyway) are just as nice as salt water... But they're harder to find (maybe just more specialty)

If you have any non-standard fish stores in your area you may be able to find some cool stuff like these for your smaller tank:

(Dario dario – Scarlet Badis (Badis dario, Badis badis bengalensis) — Seriously Fish)

(Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Celestial Pearl Danio)

There are also a crap ton of different variety of bettas out there. All different kinds of color, tail varieties and scale differences.

I used to have up to 20 different bettas (and that means about 20 some-odd tanks at a time) at any one time, I had about the same with killifish (more very colorful fresh water fish) as I used to breed both species. I love the oddball fish the most. My favorite of all time is the African leaf fish.

They float around... like a leaf... and stalk their prey and then in a flash, their mouth expands like you see in the picture and the other fish is now food.

As for what I have now, I'm down to only one fish these days. It's a Leopard Ctenopoma (often confused for the leaf fish... These are actually a bush fish... despite how Petsmart mislables them) and his name is George W. Bushfish. lol

(hard to get a good picture of him)

Ok, I'm done with my fish nerdness now lol
D. Rose PC: http://tinyurl.com/d8qecvf
Bizzydesigner is offline   Reply With Quote