Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings NBA

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default I need an emta modem for comcast

I am looking to buy a modem/router so I can stop paying the $10 a month rental fee from Comcast. It has to be an emta modem so it can handle voice as well as internet. Comcast has a list on their website of compatible modems but there aren't a lot of emta ones. There only seems to be around 6 or so that I can find to purchase and the cheapest was around $160-$180. It looks just like the one I rent from them.

Anyone purchase one recently? If so what did you get and how much was it?

The one that I am looking at is an Arris TG862G.

Thanks!
ifish73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I presume you mean you are using Comcast's VOIP which is why you need a modem with that capability?

As you can see, it does limit your choices greatly as opposed to using something like Magic Jack, or Vonage so that you can get a good modem and not have to worry about the tag-along VOIP functionality.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go to mydeviceinfo.comcast.net and click "only retail devices" and any device that says Telephony is compatible for phone. I believe only two exsist now. Tg862g and Tm722g. Any others that do not show retail cannot be added to your account as a purchased emta. PM me if you have questions.
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
I presume you mean you are using Comcast's VOIP which is why you need a modem with that capability?

As you can see, it does limit your choices greatly as opposed to using something like Magic Jack, or Vonage so that you can get a good modem and not have to worry about the tag-along VOIP functionality.
Yes I am using Comcast's VOIP. If I were to drop the VOIP my bill would actually go up. It has gotten pretty complicated with all the different packages and tiers and promotions.

I have their triple play (TV, Internet, Voice). HD and DVR on one TV, non HD on two other TV's and these basic cable converters for my kids that get limited channels on two more TV's. My bill is now right around $200 a month.

I have never had a problem with my service in the 15 years I have had Comcast, just want to lower my bill.
ifish73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Yes I am using Comcast's VOIP. If I were to drop the VOIP my bill would actually go up. It has gotten pretty complicated with all the different packages and tiers and promotions.

I have their triple play (TV, Internet, Voice). HD and DVR on one TV, non HD on two other TV's and these basic cable converters for my kids that get limited channels on two more TV's. My bill is now right around $200 a month.

I have never had a problem with my service in the 15 years I have had Comcast, just want to lower my bill.
I understand completely. Long time Comcast user here (not by choice) and my experience has mostly been great.

I have TV and internet (no phone) but wouldn't honestly be surprised if you can't get a reduction in your bill by going down to 2-play.

We tried talking to Comcast about getting the X1 box (our old DVR has lots of issues and we thought to upgrade instead of simply exchanging it for the same model). Comcast won't have anything to do with it, we must upgrade to Triple-play if we want it despite us not needing a land line phone anymore.

So, we're sticking with our crappy DVR and 2-play.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I may have one. I switched from Comcast to Fios last year and still have my VOIP/Router

I'll check when I get home. It's yours if I have one, just pay shipping.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post

Same boat with Time Warner except that they cannot tell me what my bill will be if I drop phone from the package (shows on my bill at $35), planning on switching it over to my cell provider and buying a cable modem. Theoretical savings is only $21 a month, less if they raise my internet or cable rate.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
I understand completely. Long time Comcast user here (not by choice) and my experience has mostly been great.

I have TV and internet (no phone) but wouldn't honestly be surprised if you can't get a reduction in your bill by going down to 2-play.

We tried talking to Comcast about getting the X1 box (our old DVR has lots of issues and we thought to upgrade instead of simply exchanging it for the same model). Comcast won't have anything to do with it, we must upgrade to Triple-play if we want it despite us not needing a land line phone anymore.

So, we're sticking with our crappy DVR and 2-play.
I just had an issue kind of like this recently. I called because they raised my bill $50 a month and I asked about getting a better deal (tv and Internet only)The lady told me I needed to get rid of my hd and dvr if I wanted to get my bill lowered along with getting rid of other channels. I told them I wanted to cancel. They transferred me to customer retention and then 10 minutes later my bill went down $60 a month and I had X1 installed 2 days later.

The lady I talked to, told me to never talk to the regular reps again, she said to always ask for customer retention.
crazygrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygrover View Post
I just had an issue kind of like this recently. I called because they raised my bill $50 a month and I asked about getting a better deal (tv and Internet only)The lady told me I needed to get rid of my hd and dvr if I wanted to get my bill lowered along with getting rid of other channels. I told them I wanted to cancel. They transferred me to customer retention and then 10 minutes later my bill went down $60 a month and I had X1 installed 2 days later.

The lady I talked to, told me to never talk to the regular reps again, she said to always ask for customer retention.
We've tried that. Unfortunately, we live in a development that is a Comcast monopoly. They know we can't go anywhere else so they say 'sure, okay, leave if you want but we have no deal to give you.'