Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about serial numbers

I have noticed something that has been happening quite frequently lately and I have no idea why maybe, some of the board members can help me out.

Why do sellers cover part of the serial numbers on cards they are selling?

EX. XXX/100
or they put a piece of paper over the number and leave the /100

Is this because they are selling a card that their buddies are shill bidding on and if they don't get what they want they can re-sell again?
GRWLRGUZZLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

2 trains of thought. I've seen people cover up the numbering just so people don't steal their imagery and use it for their own. Outside of getting software to digitally watermark your image it is a cheap easy method of controlling imagery of your inventory. Besides, if it's not the first, or last, or player's jersey number what difference does it really make if it's number 705/1250 or number 706/1250?
The 2nd thought is that maybe the card was at one time graded? If it was and it had a serial number wouldn't that make it easier to root around and see if anything has changed the overall appearance of the card? Some of the hockey guys have seen auto rookie jersey cards of some of the big guys that have been tampered w/ to get more $$$ from sales. Is it Ovechkin? or the Cup Crosby that everyone almost knows what every card looks like and what kind of patch it has?
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there really a premium for odd #'s beside jersey #, first, and last? Like 222, 555, 666, 777? I have some super low # cards(not super expensive but neat) and I like to keep up with the ones that sell but I guess I see why some people hide the #s....I would question the auction if it was a pic of the actual card or not.

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

if you have 200 refractors /599 it makes it easier to list than typing out each number.
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Example: I have 12 of the same Etopps card all #ed /999. I list 11 in my store and 1 on auction and state xxx/999. Don't have to list each card and no worry about sending wrong serial # to buyer.
Papajim
papajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

As long as they tell you the serial number of the item you are buying I don't think it matters. If you know the number you could easily check to see if someone is shill bidding to get more money out of their items.
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote