Blowout Cards Forums
Miguel Sano

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone had LASIK ?

Has anyone had this? I had a couple questions as I am considering it.

How much does it cost nowadays?
How long was recovery for you? Did you have to miss any work?
Was it worth it?

Figured I would look into it since I am due for new glasses anyways. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I had it a little over a year ago, honestly one of the best things i ever did. Its great not dealing with contacts or glasses. I ended up with better than 20/20 vision also. It was only a couple days of the crazy brightness and i didnt miss any work, heck i was playing softball about 7 days later although i dont think its recommended. It cost me $4200 for it, I definitely recommend it.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordy22 View Post
I had it a little over a year ago, honestly one of the best things i ever did. Its great not dealing with contacts or glasses. I ended up with better than 20/20 vision also. It was only a couple days of the crazy brightness and i didnt miss any work, heck i was playing softball about 7 days later although i dont think its recommended. It cost me $4200 for it, I definitely recommend it.
Good to hear! Was $4200 with any sort of insurance? Thanks nordy
Old 07-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got mine done also, best decision I ever made. Recovery time was minimal, I Believe i went to work the next day. Insurance won't cover any portion of Lasik, it's cosmedtic. Only part I don't like about lasik is driving at night with headlights coming at you causes a halo in your vision.
No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

there are places that will finance with you without the insurance companies. I would suggest looking at it from both options, honestly.

Also, double-check the reputations online and see any reviews.

i never got it, but my neighbor did and doesn't regret it one bit.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also LASIK is for people without a stigmatism, if you have a stigmatism its called something else, can't remember off the top of my head. But same procedure. And what's crazy about it all was it literally takes under 3 minutes to complete the surgery.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

My question, and major fear, is this...

How do you keep your eye still??

How long do you have to keep your eye still???

What happens if you can't???

I have a HUGE paranoia that I will be right in the middle of it and wig the hell out and have to move. I can't do enclosed mri's etc....I can't have our cats, kids or my wife lay on me or I feel "entrapped" and MUST, at all times, be able to move freely.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
EB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I tell everyone it's the best money I ever spent. Had it done about 7 years ago. Literally, life changing. I couldn't see anything before.
Hess687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB31 View Post

I have a HUGE paranoia that I will be right in the middle of it and wig the hell out and have to move. I can't do enclosed mri's etc....I can't have our cats, kids or my wife lay on me or I feel "entrapped" and MUST, at all times, be able to move freely.
My doctor gave me a Vicatin or something that relaxes you, right before the surgery. It is a quick procedure, you're done and out of there in no time at all. I can't remember but I want to say the procedure itself was maybe 10 minutes tops, but I could be wrong.
Hess687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Honestly it's not that bad, I had that fear also. It's been so long ago, I believe they have an instrument to keep your eye open, I'm pretty sure they don't stick anything in your eye, it's just lasers that burns layers off your retina. It was the most disgusting smell I have ever smelt! I still gag just thinking about the smell. Worst part of it all in my opinion
Old 07-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

I keep flip-flopping on the issue. I want to get it done because I am sick of dealing with contacts...yet there are no long-term cases yet as the procedure is still relatively new...

Maybe I'll wait a few more years to see if people who have had it done start going blind or start growing third eyes or something...
Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had LASIK in 2000, so it's been 15 years. Best money I've spent to this day. Driving at night is brutal, the halo makes it tough . That's the only negative for me
Old 07-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had lasik done 2 years ago. I had wanted it for at least 5years but always scared myself out. I mean it is your eyes. But after actually going in to the office and doing the free consultation I was convinced it was for me.

So here's what happened the day I had the surgery. I went in and they gave me something to relax me, not sure what I'm not a pill popper. About 10 minutes after talking the pill I went to the room where the magic happened. Lol. So they lay you down and put a few drops in your eyes which numb them no prevent you from moving your eyes. It's freaky!! He asked me to look left and then right and I couldnt. Next they put a suction cup like object on your eyeball. It has a hole in middle the size of your retina and the plastic came out so the laser machine can attach. They hooked up the 1st machine and that cuts the flap with a laser he did both eyes and that took maybe 2-3 seconds a eye. Then the next machine hooks up and I was told to count to 30. I hit 20 and that eye was done. Same process with next eye and that I counted to 25 or so. I wasn't in the room for even 10 minutes. then back to a examination room and he checked my eyes to see how they looked and gave me 2 prescription drops. I was told to go home and sleep for a few hours. 3 hours later when I woke up it felt like sand in my eyes but my vision was great. The sandy eye feeling lasted maybe 12 hours. It cost me $3000 and it was the best money spent. I strongly recommend it. Don't be cheap though and do research. Read local reviews. They did my surgery on a Friday so you have all weekend to rest. But Saturday I was out living life like usual. I had the halos badly at night for around 6 months but that are very minimal now.

Oh. I also never wore contacts as I couldn't put them in. Heck I never put drops in my eyes till then and was able to. So people with contacts should have no problem. They just advise not to were them for a few days beforehand so your retina(most likely wrong term) is worn to thin. But they test everything the day or 2 before. Seriously guys go get it done

collecting Mason Raymond, Cory Schneider, And Jordan Schroeder

Last edited by nucks 4cup; 07-19-2015 at 02:49 PM.
nucks 4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks 4cup View Post
I had lasik done 2 years ago. I had wanted it for at least 5years but always scared myself out. I mean it is your eyes. But after actually going in to the office and doing the free consultation I was convinced it was for me.

So here's what happened the day I had the surgery. I went in and they gave me something to relax me, not sure what I'm not a pill popper. About 10 minutes after talking the pill I went to the room where the magic happened. Lol. So they lay you down and put a few drops in your eyes which numb them no prevent you from moving your eyes. It's freaky!! He asked me to look left and then right and I couldnt. Next they put a suction cup like object on your eyeball. It has a hole in middle the size of your retina and the plastic came out so the laser machine can attach. They hooked up the 1st machine and that cuts the flap with a laser he did both eyes and that took maybe 2-3 seconds a eye. Then the next machine hooks up and I was told to count to 30. I hit 20 and that eye was done. Same process with next eye and that I counted to 25 or so. I wasn't in the room for even 10 minutes. then back to a examination room and he checked my eyes to see how they looked and gave me 2 prescription drops. I was told to go home and sleep for a few hours. 3 hours later when I woke up it felt like sand in my eyes but my vision was great. The sandy eye feeling lasted maybe 12 hours. It cost me $3000 and it was the best money spent. I strongly recommend it. Don't be cheap though and do research. Read local reviews. They did my surgery on a Friday so you have all weekend to rest. But Saturday I was out living life like usual. I had the halos badly at night for around 6 months but that are very minimal now.

Can you pm me the Dr's info that you used. I'm in Va as well. That is..if you'd recommend him.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you pm me the Dr's info that you used. I'm in Va as well. That is..if you'd recommend him.
Tysons corner LASIK Is where I would recommend you going to, I beleive they also did Tiger Woods eyes.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No 1 View Post
Also LASIK is for people without a stigmatism, if you have a stigmatism its called something else, can't remember off the top of my head. But same procedure. And what's crazy about it all was it literally takes under 3 minutes to complete the surgery.
This is completely false. LASIK can correct astigmatism. The laser is really applied for less than 30 seconds, not three minutes. Most of the time is spent getting you set up for the procedure.

Internet tough guy Will Watson is my #1 fan!!
THE(NEXT)LEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Honestly it's not that bad, I had that fear also. It's been so long ago, I believe they have an instrument to keep your eye open, I'm pretty sure they don't stick anything in your eye, it's just lasers that burns layers off your retina. It was the most disgusting smell I have ever smelt! I still gag just thinking about the smell. Worst part of it all in my opinion
It's your cornea, and if you don't get Intralase(bladeless) or PRK, then a small surgical blade called a microkeratome is used to create the flap in the cornea, then the laser is applied, and the cornea is laid back down.

Last edited by THE(NEXT)LEVEL; 07-19-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Tysons corner LASIK Is where I would recommend you going to, I beleive they also did Tiger Woods eyes.

Thanks, will research them as well.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
TLC did Tiger's eyes and a lot of other professional athletes. They have centers across the US, so I'd start there.

Tlcvision.com

Old 07-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE(NEXT)LEVEL View Post
This is completely false. LASIK can correct astigmatism. The laser is really applied for less than 30 seconds, not three minutes. Most of the time is spent getting you set up for the procedure.
How can LASIK correct a none oval eyeball? If you have a stigmatism the procedure is called PRK. I never said you get lasered for 3 mins. I said the whole procedure took 3 mins
Old 07-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE(NEXT)LEVEL View Post
TLC did Tiger's eyes and a lot of other professional athletes. They have centers across the US, so I'd start there.

Tlcvision.com
TLC is where I got my eyes done in Tysons Corner
Old 07-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
How can LASIK correct a none oval eyeball? If you have a stigmatism the procedure is called PRK. I never said you get lasered for 3 mins. I said the whole procedure took 3 mins
No, LASIK corrects astigmatism, and before you challenge me, I want to tell you that I am a TLC affiliate doctor.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I just say no to PEDS.

[/B]
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Not challenging you, but correct me if I'm wrong that a stigmatism is an non oval eyeball? So lasik is a procedure for people that does not have a stigmatism, and when you have a stigmatism the procedure is called PRK instead of a LASIK. Cause I had PRK done
Old 07-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

I had radial kerototomy 30 yrs ago. Before Lasik this was the thing to correct nearsightedness. Basically you mark off the center 3mm and cut bicycle spoke type slices in the cornea. Glad I did it but you do get glare problems at night from the healed incisions. EB, you can also get a valium or 2 beforehand.
Your eye is kept still by holding back your lids with tape or mini clamps. Then you will get drops for the pain and to keep your eyeball from wanting to move. Back then the doctor said he used liquid cocaine as the drops.
Long story short, I'm glad I did it even though with age your eyes regress anyway. I wore contacts and now thin lense glasses. Before I wore coke bottles.

Best to All,
Vinny
PS: I can't have Lasik due to those micro scars.