Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default Anyone know anything about an antique matchbook cover?

I have this matchbook cover that I believe was my Grandfather's. It has the Statue of Liberty on the front and an adjustable calendar on the back. From the dates on the calendar it appears to be from the early 40's. It is made out of Brass or at least is brass in color.

I didn't know if there was anyone out there who may have some knowledge on antiques of New York City or Matchbook Covers or someplace where I can find out what exactly I have.

Here is a picture

ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Best I could find hope this helps.

VINTAGE MATCHBOOK HOLDER STATUE OF LIBERTY ON COVER - eBay (item 110173921104 end time Jul-20-08 18:45:07 PDT)

Peter
Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

That looks like the same one. Thanks Peter
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default matchbook holders

I collect these things. Matchbook holders were first patented in 1904 by A. R. T. Manufacturing Co. The "T" of ART was Henry Traute, the marketing genius responsible for the incredible success of paper matchbooks as an advertising medium. The oldest datable matchbook holder that I have is from the 1904 Lewis & Clark Exposition in St. Louis. My collection consists of about 2500 different holders.

This one that you have is from the mid-1940s. There are two different perpetual calendars that these come with - one covers 1942 to 1951, and other covers 1942 to 1975. Etched Products Corp. (EPCO) made a line of matchbook holders for both the 1939 New York World's Fair and the Golden Gate International Exposition, and they are in the Thomas register in 1937, which is as far back as I can trace the company. Their advertising continues to appear into the mid-1950s.

I'm attaching some scans of other EPCO matchbook holders - two with New York themes, and the third on the original card on which it was sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know anything about an antique matchbook cover?-epco-001.jpg   Anyone know anything about an antique matchbook cover?-epco.jpg  
matchbookholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Wow...matchbookholder....I may have to give you the vote for helping post of the year!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbookholder View Post
I collect these things. Matchbook holders were first patented in 1904 by A. R. T. Manufacturing Co. The "T" of ART was Henry Traute, the marketing genius responsible for the incredible success of paper matchbooks as an advertising medium. The oldest datable matchbook holder that I have is from the 1904 Lewis & Clark Exposition in St. Louis. My collection consists of about 2500 different holders.

This one that you have is from the mid-1940s. There are two different perpetual calendars that these come with - one covers 1942 to 1951, and other covers 1942 to 1975. Etched Products Corp. (EPCO) made a line of matchbook holders for both the 1939 New York World's Fair and the Golden Gate International Exposition, and they are in the Thomas register in 1937, which is as far back as I can trace the company. Their advertising continues to appear into the mid-1950s.

I'm attaching some scans of other EPCO matchbook holders - two with New York themes, and the third on the original card on which it was sold.
I can't believe this thread was resurrected! By matchbookholder? Who'd a thunk it.

The ones that you have are in way better shape than the one I have. I guess my grandfather used his. There was one on ebay a while back that wasn't selling and the guy only had it at something like $15. I don't think I want to sell it since it was my Grandfather's but I thought it would have been worth a little more than that. Do you have any better idea of its value?
Thanks for the information provided and any further information you have.