Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS

OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS Post your Other Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,858
Default 1 Box Sportkings Series A -- Big Hit I Think

Went to the LCS and they had a single box of Sportkings Series A. Price was not to bad so I decided to buy

Hit 1: John Wooden Silver Relic

Hit 2: Troy Aikman Silver Dual Relic Jersey/2 Color Patch

Hit 3: Pete Rose Autograph Jersey Silver

If I am not mistaken the Pete Rose is a pretty big hit. Correct me if I am wrong Wheeler.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
garpike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Middletown, Ohio
Posts: 6,316
Default

WOW!!! GREAT HIT!!!! Can we see it?
__________________
I Love My Family, The NY Jets & Autographs...Lots & Lots of Autographs!!!
TTM Autographs make getting the mail FUN!
garpike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,858
Default

Course. Here are scans of all three hits.


Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Boo
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Went to the LCS and they had a single box of Sportkings Series A. Price was not to bad so I decided to buy

Hit 1: John Wooden Silver Relic

Hit 2: Troy Aikman Silver Dual Relic Jersey/2 Color Patch

Hit 3: Pete Rose Autograph Jersey Silver

If I am not mistaken the Pete Rose is a pretty big hit. Correct me if I am wrong Wheeler.
Rose is a good hit. One has been sitting on COMC forever for $245 I think. Those cards are all on COMC for an asking price of $298. If you sell everything you will probably break even.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/klay22/
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: COAL VALLEY, IL
Posts: 7,568
Default

Your star wars sketches are amazing...

If you want to sell your rose auto

I will buy it

thanks kyle
__________________
LOOKING FOR

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,215
Default

Yep, that's a pretty big hit. Congrats!

This is Pete Rose's first memorabilia card of any product. On-card auto and game-used memorabilia is hard to beat. It's what everyone was chasing when this product came out. People were afraid to include Rose in their products until SK was successful in doing so. After this, several products have featured him.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
Your star wars sketches are amazing...

If you want to sell your rose auto

I will buy it

thanks kyle

Ha, thanks Kyle. I dont even have all my high end Clone Wars Widevision and Galaxy 6 up on eBay yet. I have not decided if the Rose is available. Thinking of maybe holding onto it, but PM me if you like about it.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ohiomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Yep, that's a pretty big hit. Congrats!

This is Pete Rose's first memorabilia card of any product. On-card auto and game-used memorabilia is hard to beat. It's what everyone was chasing when this product came out. People were afraid to include Rose in their products until SK was successful in doing so. After this, several products have featured him.
Sportkings was definitely the first (and pulled it off the best IMO), but the reason you hadn't seen him since the late 80's wasn't that other companies were afraid. Anyone with a MLB license was prohibited from including him. Thats why Sportkings was able to do it, and why the Donruss/Playoff brand started including him too after they lost their license in 2007. Upper Deck also included him on a card in their 2010 set, the first year they lost their license.
__________________
Find me at SPORTLOTS.COM - OHIOMIKE
Domestic orders over 50 cards ship ABSOLUTELY FREE with me, copy and paste this URL:

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Sportkings was definitely the first (and pulled it off the best IMO), but the reason you hadn't seen him since the late 80's wasn't that other companies were afraid. Anyone with a MLB license was prohibited from including him. Thats why Sportkings was able to do it, and why the Donruss/Playoff brand started including him too after they lost their license in 2007. Upper Deck also included him on a card in their 2010 set, the first year they lost their license.
Mike,

Weren't there other unlicensed companies out there before SK released this card in 2007?
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
ohiomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Mike,

Weren't there other unlicensed companies out there before SK released this card in 2007?
No, Sportkings A released before Donruss/Playoff or Upper Deck released their first unlicensed products.

Sportkings A was released in October 2007.

2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition was the first unlicensed released by DLP in December 2007.

2010 Upper Deck was the first unlicensed release by Upper Deck in February 2010.
__________________
Find me at SPORTLOTS.COM - OHIOMIKE
Domestic orders over 50 cards ship ABSOLUTELY FREE with me, copy and paste this URL:

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
No, Sportkings A released before Donruss/Playoff or Upper Deck released their first unlicensed products.

Sportkings A was released in October 2007.

2007 Donruss Elite Extra Edition was the first unlicensed released by DLP in December 2007.

2010 Upper Deck was the first unlicensed release by Upper Deck in February 2010.
I know this is being picky, but there were other companies producing baseball cards in 2007 and prior that were not licensed by MLB.

Sportkings didn't have to be the first to include Rose. Others "could have" done it, but didn't. However, once SK did, others tried the same. They even modeled their product makeup after SK.

I understand any licensed MLB company was forbidden to include him. But as you stated, Donruss didn't include him as soon as they could have with their very first release. And when they did include him, his autos were on stickers if I remember correctly. You and I agree that SK did it best.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
ohiomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I know this is being picky, but there were other companies producing baseball cards in 2007 and prior that were not licensed by MLB.
No. The very first unlicensed baseball cards produced in 2007 were Sportkings Series A. The second was Donruss Elite Extra Edition, 2 months after SK. Sport Kings and D/L/P were the only two unlicensed companies producing baseball cards at the time.
__________________
Find me at SPORTLOTS.COM - OHIOMIKE
Domestic orders over 50 cards ship ABSOLUTELY FREE with me, copy and paste this URL:

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
No. The very first unlicensed baseball cards produced in 2007 were Sportkings Series A. The second was Donruss Elite Extra Edition, 2 months after SK. Sport Kings and D/L/P were the only two unlicensed companies producing baseball cards at the time.
Was Tristar licensed by the MLB in 2006?
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
ohiomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,987
Default

Tristar has never produced major league player cards.

But you are right. Yoo-Hoo produced a card set in the 1990's that was unlicensed and did include Pete Rose.

Upper Deck also got permission twice, once in the 90's and once in 2000, to produce Pete Rose cards for the set associated with the Ken Burns Baseball Documentary and the Sporting News list of 100 all-time legends.

So I guess that means that Sportkings looked to Yoo-Hoo and Upper Deck for their idea to include Pete Rose in a post-ban baseball card product featuring major league players. Kudos to Yoo-Hoo for having the stones to be innovative enough to include Pete Rose! If it weren't for Yoo-Hoo, the OP might not have ever had the opportunity to hit that Rose card out of SK.

And I do agree that the SK card does look nicer than the Yoo-Hoo card! By a lot.
__________________
Find me at SPORTLOTS.COM - OHIOMIKE
Domestic orders over 50 cards ship ABSOLUTELY FREE with me, copy and paste this URL:

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike

Last edited by ohiomike; 04-07-2011 at 11:25 AM.
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Tristar has never produced major league player cards.

But you are right. Yoo-Hoo produced a card set in the 1990's that was unlicensed and did include Pete Rose.

Upper Deck also got permission twice, once in the 90's and once in 2000, to produce Pete Rose cards for the set associated with the Ken Burns Baseball Documentary and the Sporting News list of 100 all-time legends.

So I guess that means that Sportkings looked to Yoo-Hoo and Upper Deck for their idea to include Pete Rose in a post-ban baseball card product featuring major league players.
Mike, I said I know I was being picky. I said nothing about "major league" baseball cards. I said just baseball cards. I think you will agree that SK did not look to Yoo-Hoo and upper deck to produce his cards.

I'm glad upper deck got permission to include Rose. I'm assuming SK didn't need to get permission from anyone other than Rose himself. Don't you think Donruss could have included him with their first unlicensed set? They didn't. I believe they included him later because of the success of SK, and it was smart to do so. It's just too bad they couldn't have done it better with on-card autos.

In 2006, Tristar had Roger Clemens cards. Could they have also included Pete Rose to some extent? Maybe not since they had an MILB license, but I just don't know.

What I do know is that I read articles back in 2007 about people saying it was a bold move by SK including Rose since he was banned from baseball. Had SK not done so, I don't think Donruss would have, but of course I could be wrong.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
cruiserdaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I know this is being picky, but there were other companies producing baseball cards in 2007 and prior that were not licensed by MLB.

Sportkings didn't have to be the first to include Rose. Others "could have" done it, but didn't. However, once SK did, others tried the same. They even modeled their product makeup after SK.

I understand any licensed MLB company was forbidden to include him. But as you stated, Donruss didn't include him as soon as they could have with their very first release. And when they did include him, his autos were on stickers if I remember correctly. You and I agree that SK did it best.
If anyone ever wonders how Wheeler gets under peoples skin and drawn into multi page arguments, see no further than this thread lol
__________________
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington
cruiserdaddy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: COAL VALLEY, IL
Posts: 7,568
Default

Thanks for selling me the pete rose auto
__________________
LOOKING FOR

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 1,412
Default

What was Donruss' first unlicensed set? As far as I know, they lost their license after 2005, didn't do any cards in 2006, then went back to EEE in 2007 (I certainly could be missing something though). If their cards came out 2 months after Sport Kings, I would think Rose would have to have been in the works well before they saw how it worked out for them. Ohiomike didn't state Donruss didn't include Rose in their first unlicensed release, even though you quoted him as saying such. He only said that EEE was the first unlicensed release by Donruss, and they did indeed include Rose the first time they were able....again, unless I am missing a prior release. Tristar was licensed by Minor League Baseball in 2006....not sure if that stopped them from having Rose but I would think it would. And if we are being picky, I think we do have to give some kudos to Yoo-Hoo!!
__________________
My Recent Top Hits-2011 BDP Mike Trout Superfractor #1/1, 2011 BDP Dante Bichette red #1/1, 2011 BDP Archie Bradley Purple Ref Auto /10, 2011 Tier One Manny Pacquiao Autograph, 2011 Tier One Eric Hosmer/Billy Butler Dual Auto /25, 2011 Elite Namath/Starr Passing The Torch Dual Auto
Highlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,671
Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Mike, I said I know I was being picky. I said nothing about "major league" baseball cards. I said just baseball cards. I think you will agree that SK did not look to Yoo-Hoo and upper deck to produce his cards.

I'm glad upper deck got permission to include Rose. I'm assuming SK didn't need to get permission from anyone other than Rose himself. Don't you think Donruss could have included him with their first unlicensed set? They didn't. I believe they included him later because of the success of SK, and it was smart to do so. It's just too bad they couldn't have done it better with on-card autos.

In 2006, Tristar had Roger Clemens cards. Could they have also included Pete Rose to some extent? Maybe not since they had an MILB license, but I just don't know.

What I do know is that I read articles back in 2007 about people saying it was a bold move by SK including Rose since he was banned from baseball. Had SK not done so, I don't think Donruss would have, but of course I could be wrong.
They did all did it for one simple reason....to add value. The rarer the card/auto...the more it gets. That they could pay a legend a fairly low per auto price and have it drive sales so well....its a no brainer.

Donruss didn't do it because they were scared (in the era without a license)....they just didnt have a set to put him out in. As soon as they released a baseball veteran set (2008 threads) he was in there.

At least you can admit that due to its hodgepodge of sports make up that SportKings did have a decided advantage in getting his auto out first.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
37Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,607
Default

Maybe if Broder's could have stuck around longer they could have started to produce Game Used cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Mike,

Weren't there other unlicensed companies out there before SK released this card in 2007?
__________________
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tinley Park, IL
Posts: 2,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Was Tristar licensed by the MLB in 2006?
Yay!!! SK is better than Tristar!!
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/other-sports-box-breaks/146356-1-box-sportkings-series-big-hit-i-think.html
Posted By For Type Date
1 Box Sportkings Series A -- Big Hit I Think - Blowout Cards Forums This thread Refback 04-07-2011 12:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.