Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS

OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS Post your Other Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default First impressions: 2012 Press Pass Total Memorabilia racing cards

First impressions: 2012 Press Pass Total Memorabilia racing cards

February 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor | Commentary

Every once in a while, I get a quiet moment to sit back and bust a box of cards the old-fashioned way ó without a camera on.

On Wednesday evening, in advance of our Box Busters video to come, I did just that with a box of 2012 Press Pass Total Memorabilia and a single word sums up my experience.

Impressed.

While Total Memorabilia wonít arrive in hobby shops until next Wednesday, my sneak peek was one that felt like a really high-end collecting experience ó and yet its price-point really isnít one. My five packs seemed like they would have cost a lot more than the roughly $25-a-pop reality, so I was even more impressed with what I found inside after I carefully cut open my packs and pried the packs from their boxes. (The cards are snugly tucked away inside team set bags in each box instead of the traditional packaging.)

Youíll just see the hits here ó my first being a quad Marcos Ambrose, a card featuring a patch piece from a firesuit, an outside ribbed tire piece, a two-color piece of sheet metal and something I had not previously seen before on a racing card, a piece of heat shield. These thick memorabilia cards are quite impressive with a nice mix of photography and foil stamping all in an effort to showcase what itís all about Ö the memorabilia.

That card alone, to me, made the box ó not because Iím an Ambrose fan or anything. Itís just an impressive card with the memorabilia pieces ó something that Press Pass has done a bit more of in the last few years with higher-end products.

From there, each hit-per-pack pack also yielded multi-swatch mem cards in all but one. Again, impressive to me as you simply donít see this kind of volume and prime material ó not to mention variety of material ó in that many products from other lines. And, again, I was surprised to see the present market price at about $125 a box ó I had expected it to be higher.

But then the other names that came out of the packs? Danica, Dale Jr., last yearís Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne Ö it was, again, in a word Ö impressive.

And thatís just the hits.

Each pack also includes eight other cards ó a mix of base cards, inserts and parallels ó but weíll leave that for another time.

You know, when itís time to rip open wax when a camera is on.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Beckett News First impressions: 2012 Press Pass Total Memorabilia racing cards
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm underwhelmed.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Where are the autos?

Since i ordered 40 boxes of this...

that is scary

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
Where are the autos?

Since i ordered 40 boxes of this...

that is scary
Exactly what I was thinking.

Nascar firepatch/tire/shoe/sheet metal cards are a dime a dozen almost. Autos or giant fancy patches is what we need.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

at least 4 autos per 10 boxes, as well as one auto/patch booklet it says
Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Only one veteran auto per case! That is what scares me if it's true. The rest are up and coming young stars auto's, most of which don't have a big name in the sport.

The mem cards do look nice, but I think the boxes will drop in value due to the lack of auto's.
steinvb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

previewed 3 boxes today, got 2 books in one box including a Earnhardt Jr triple patch auto/5 and a Harvick dual mem auto/10 book, also got a Harrison Burton auto/25??? and a Jack Roush Jr auto mem, cant find anything for either guy on ebay
champs is offline   Reply With Quote